Alright, so I'm getting a head, and I might not have enough money left over for a decent cabinet (unless I take one of the included cab deals, but I'm still unsure if I want the head that comes with). I want a 4x12 though, so I was thinking of buying a hollow 4x12 cab (this one) and adding speakers to it over time as I get money instead of buying and selling a bunch of cabinets. That way I could have a quality cabinet in the long run, and sort of add to it over time.

I honestly don't know much about the ohm distribution of cabinets, so I was asking if this would even work in the first place, and do you have to distribute the ohms of the cabinet between each speaker, or does each speaker have to be the same ohms. So if I need 16 ohms, do I need 4 4 ohm speakers (in which this wouldn't even work), or 4 16 ohm speakers?
That's a terrible idea IMO LOL.

First off, how powerful is your amp? The first speaker you buy is going to have to take all the power, so it would need to be like a 100W speaker.

Also, that's a ridiculous sized cab for anything less than 4 speakers.

Also, you'll have to wire the thing four times eventually, which is annoying. I'm not really going to do all the math, but depending on how many taps your output transformer has, it might not even be possible to have a 1/2/3/4 speaker configuration.

Also, it will most likely be more expensive this way. The reason no one does this is because you naturally get a 'deal' when you buy the cab and 4 speakers. Piece it together and you're going to pay a ton in individual markup and shipping.

It's probably best to either
A: Save until you can buy your ideal cab (which you might not even know/care what it is exactly)
or
B: Just buy a cab, upgrade when you can (like most people do AFAIK).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
That's a terrible idea IMO LOL.

First off, how powerful is your amp? The first speaker you buy is going to have to take all the power, so it would need to be like a 100W speaker.

This is more of what I was asking, mainly because I wasn't sure if all speakers used up all the power, or if it was distributed between each speaker

Quote by jthm_guitarist
Also, that's a ridiculous sized cab for anything less than 4 speakers.

Also, you'll have to wire the thing four times eventually, which is annoying. I'm not really going to do all the math, but depending on how many taps your output transformer has, it might not even be possible to have a 1/2/3/4 speaker configuration.

Well the most it would be doing is sitting in my room until I could get another band together to eventually gig with it, which is why I'm trying to find a "works for now" solution that sounds better for the long run.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Also, it will most likely be more expensive this way. The reason no one does this is because you naturally get a 'deal' when you buy the cab and 4 speakers. Piece it together and you're going to pay a ton in individual markup and shipping.

That's a deal breaker lol.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
It's probably best to either
A: Save until you can buy your ideal cab (which you might not even know/care what it is exactly)
or
B: Just buy a cab, upgrade when you can (like most people do AFAIK).

I actually was considering getting a valveking cabinet, and upgrading the speakers when the time is ready but I was told that I might as well will buy a empty cabinet and get speakers for it, and thus this thread was conceived.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
This is more of what I was asking, mainly because I wasn't sure if all speakers used up all the power, or if it was distributed between each speaker

It is distributed between each speaker, but if you plan on having one speaker in the beginning then it's distributed to the one speaker.

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I actually was considering getting a valveking cabinet, and upgrading the speakers when the time is ready but I was told that I might as well will buy a empty cabinet and get speakers for it, and thus this thread was conceived.

If those are your only two options then yeah, but why not just sell the whole cab when it's time to upgrade? It's going to be hard to sell just the speakers from your Valveking, just flip the cab to the next person in line when you can afford a better cab.

Of course if you are after specific speakers that do not come stock in any cab then ignore this because there is no other way to get your 'dream cab' than building it.
But if you just want to be loud and put your amp to use, it wouldn't be a bad idea to save yourself some trouble and grab an affordable cab for now and be done with it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
It is distributed between each speaker, but if you plan on having one speaker in the beginning then it's distributed to the one speaker.

So it's either 4 4 ohm speakers, or 1 16 ohm speaker.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
If those are your only two options then yeah, but why not just sell the whole cab when it's time to upgrade? It's going to be hard to sell just the speakers from your Valveking, just flip the cab to the next person in line when you can afford a better cab.

Of course if you are after specific speakers that do not come stock in any cab then ignore this because there is no other way to get your 'dream cab' than building it.
But if you just want to be loud and put your amp to use, it wouldn't be a bad idea to save yourself some trouble and grab an affordable cab for now and be done with it.

Well I heard peavey builds their cabs like a tank, which is why I heard it'd be good to buy their cheapest 4x12 and upgrade the speakers, as opposed to buying a high quality cabinet. It'd basically be the same thing.

My friend uses a peavey windsor for his dual rectifier when he gigs and I thought it sounded pretty good live, but I'm not sure if it'd be good to record a demo with which is why I'm getting into this whole deal lol.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 11, 2012,
4 16 Ohm speakers can be wired to make the cab 16 Ohms.

2 x 16 Ohm wired in series = 32 Ohms.

2 of those wired in parallel = 16 Ohms.

Or

2 x 16 Ohm wired in parallel = 8 Ohms.

2 of those wired in series = 16 Ohms.

But as said before, If you are starting with a single speaker, make sure that one speaker can handle the output of your amp by itself.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 11, 2012,