Ok so when I play three note per string scales namely 3 5 7 5th & 5th string
i see most people use their middle finger for fretting the 5 If i play this way i have to jump between 3-5 taking my first finger off so i use my ring finger for the 5 will this make any diference!! phew!!! think i explained it
But this goes up to 11
Quote by deltadaz
Ok so when I play three note per string scales namely 3 5 7 5th & 5th string
i see most people use their middle finger for fretting the 5 If i play this way i have to jump between 3-5 taking my first finger off so i use my ring finger for the 5 will this make any diference!! phew!!! think i explained it

People have different preferences for how to play things like that. Most use their middle finger for the fifth fret because it's generally easier. If you play it with your middle finger, all the stretching is between your index and middle fingers. With your ring finger, it's between your ring and pinky. Since your index is longer, it just makes sense to stretch it instead of your pinky. But you can do it either way. It just depends on comfort and context.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's a preference question. Like how some people do power chords with their index, ring and pinky vs. index and ring finger barring two strings. Ultimately you have to decide what works best for the things you want to be able to do and follow that...
Quote by Reages
3-index finger, 5-ring finger, 7-little one

Yep thats the one
But this goes up to 11
Quote by Jyrgen
It's a preference question. Like how some people do power chords with their index, ring and pinky vs. index and ring finger barring two strings. Ultimately you have to decide what works best for the things you want to be able to do and follow that...

barring 2 strings is bad, unless you want to play blink 182 for the rest of your life
Last edited by Reages at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Reages
barring 2 frets is bad, unless you want to play blink 182 for the rest of your life

The above is not true. It's a matter of preference.
I use my middle finger for the 5th fret for the reason the guy up there said^
Quote by captainsnazz
The above is not true. It's a matter of preference.
I use my middle finger for the 5th fret for the reason the guy up there said^

it is when you have only power chords in your song, if you play more complex stuff you will drop the habit of baring 2 strings very fast
I've asked this on here before as I was also curious - I found the same thing as you however after practicing for a while now using index-middle-pinky, I think I prefer it as you appear to be able to get wider stretches with less hand movement. Anyway, for reference, here's the thread I posted: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498830

It's partially down to context, partially down to preference and partially down to practice. Obviously if you've been using index-ring-pinky all the time, that's going to be easier purely because that's what you've been practicing. If you make the effort to change it to index-middle-pinky, you'll start to find that easier. One useful side benefit of working to change it to index-middle-pinky is that you'll find stretches between index and middle easier, making it easier to adapt to even more situations (for example, try do 12h15h19p15p12 as index-ring-pinky vs index-middle-pinky..)
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 11, 2012,
hi can some tell me a very good learning site?? i m a newbie and want to play with my guitar
i see most people use their middle finger for fretting the 5 If i play this way i have to jump between 3-5 taking my first finger off so i use my ring finger for the 5 will this make any diference!! phew!!!

Yep, you're doing it wrong. You're putting the stretch between your two weakest fingers instead of your two strongest. I would guess you're probably holding your fingers slanted slightly up the fretboard, when you probably want them a little more parallel with the frets.

Unless you have huge hands, 134 for that is uncommon, uncomfortable and doesn't fit into standard fingering systems well.
upon further investigation i noticed if i place my 1st finger on 3rd fret my 4th finger is exactly above 5th fret so i just need to move small finger alittle to reach 7th fret. and if i want to play 124 i need to move not only small finger but also 2nd finger to play that or any other x +2 +2 pattern

tldr; by playing 134 there is less finger movement involved thus possibly allowing you to play faster
Last edited by Reages at Jan 11, 2012,
so any exercise or just a matter of using index middle pinky.. would post photo of hand position if i knew how?
But this goes up to 11
Quote by deltadaz
so any exercise or just a matter of using index middle pinky.. would post photo of hand position if i knew how?

Any exercise that works your finger-per-fret system or travels through a bunch of scale positions will do. Any song using lots of 3 note per string scale positions would be ideal - Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert... loads of things!
you can also try out these exercises. http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/guitar-finger-exercises/

As for your questions. Playing certain exercises or scale runs depends on what works for you. From a certain level you don't start to think what fingers to use, everything comes naturaly.

The more experience you get the easy it will be for you to play certain things.

PS: You should check my free ebook and read the first 2 chapters to understand better what i am talking about
Quote by Junior#1
People have different preferences for how to play things like that. Most use their middle finger for the fifth fret because it's generally easier. If you play it with your middle finger, all the stretching is between your index and middle fingers. With your ring finger, it's between your ring and pinky. Since your index is longer, it just makes sense to stretch it instead of your pinky. But you can do it either way. It just depends on comfort and context.

Not to mention a lot of peoples pinky strength isnt amazing too, and obviously behind the bigger fingers....and now when you stretch it out, its even more difficult to get the strength.
Quote by Reages
barring 2 strings is bad, unless you want to play blink 182 for the rest of your life

I have a friend who plays pretty well and has always done that. It is about preference.
Unless I plan following something like this up with a trill involving the afforementioned 5th fret, I Don't anchor my finger on the 5th fret...anchoring is bad...m'kay?
Quote by llBlackenedll
I've asked this on here before as I was also curious - I found the same thing as you however after practicing for a while now using index-middle-pinky, I think I prefer it as you appear to be able to get wider stretches with less hand movement. Anyway, for reference, here's the thread I posted: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498830

It's partially down to context, partially down to preference and partially down to practice. Obviously if you've been using index-ring-pinky all the time, that's going to be easier purely because that's what you've been practicing. If you make the effort to change it to index-middle-pinky, you'll start to find that easier. One useful side benefit of working to change it to index-middle-pinky is that you'll find stretches between index and middle easier, making it easier to adapt to even more situations (for example, try do 12h15h19p15p12 as index-ring-pinky vs index-middle-pinky..)

That which you said 12/15/19/15/12 easy with index ring and pinky. cant get it at all with index middle and pinky. gonna keep working it though.
But this goes up to 11
middle is still bad i think 568 is played with 124 fingers, 578 is played with 134 fingers and same with 579, its played with 134 fingers because its as natural as other 2 cases
Quote by deltadaz
That which you said 12/15/19/15/12 easy with index ring and pinky. cant get it at all with index middle and pinky. gonna keep working it though.

On the higher strings, sure - try it on the A string. Maybe you have seriously awesome hands, but I think most people would find the pull from 19 to 15 on the A string pretty much impossible if going from pinky to the ring rather than pinky to middle.

So yeah try sit with the guitar and on the A string, fretting the 19th fret then pulling off to the 15th fret using the little finger for the 19 and the ring finger for the 15. Now do the same, only use the middle for the 15. If you still say it's easier with the little finger to the ring finger then... well.. you have extra special hands and I'll shut up :P
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 12, 2012,
Yea was doing it on the low e string anyway tried it on all strings and no I only have small hands.. yep for me at the moment it easier for me..
But this goes up to 11
Quote by llBlackenedll
On the higher strings, sure - try it on the A string. Maybe you have seriously awesome hands, but I think most people would find the pull from 19 to 15 on the A string pretty much impossible if going from pinky to the ring rather than pinky to middle.

So yeah try sit with the guitar and on the A string, fretting the 19th fret then pulling off to the 15th fret using the little finger for the 19 and the ring finger for the 15. Now do the same, only use the middle for the 15. If you still say it's easier with the little finger to the ring finger then... well.. you have extra special hands and I'll shut up :P

that pattern is easier with ring and little, but anyways who plays it like that, just change 19th fret to the 14th of other string..
Quote by Reages
that pattern is easier with ring and little, but anyways who plays it like that, just change 19th fret to the 14th of other string..

Because it's from this and I really don't see a better way to do it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------h12h15h19t22p19p15p12-----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------h12h15h19t22--------------------------------------------------t22p19p15p12--------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------t21p16p12p9----------
------------------------------------------------------h14h17h21t22----------------------------------------------------------------t21p16p12p9--
-h12h15h19t22p19p15p12h15h19t22--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is a mix of sextuplets and 32nd notes at about 150bpm. My point it that sometimes, these situations call for such stretches, and I can honestly say I don't think I'd ever be able to play that with index-ring-pinky.
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Reages
i think this is played with tapping?

Of course it is. That's what the "t"s are for.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.