So i bought my first pedal, been playing just under a year.

I got a Joyo vintage overdrive pedal to try and push my Hayden mini mofo head which i play through a 1x12 cab. To connect the pedal I'm using two 3m instrument cables which is all i have to hand at the minute.

So i connect the battery and plug my guitar cable into the pedal where it says "in". The power light comes on the pedal when the plug is halfway in then goes off. Clicking the switch on the pedal= nothing.

I connect the "out" socket to the amp where i usually plug the guitar in and.... nothing. The bypass works ok but when i click the button nothing, no power light and no sound at all from the amp, silence.

The pedal works kinda in the effects loop with a 2 into 1 phono jack splitter cable which is necessary for this amp but sounds shite. However the lights come on on the pedal and it functions i think.

Am i doing something wrong? I know i can be be dim sometimes....

Thanks.
So in the effects loop you get a sound, but not when you place it in front of your amp?

Do both your instrument cables work ok? Try borrowing 2 instrument cables and see if you get the same problem?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Hi

Yes both cables work fine, both planet waves.

Surely the light on the pedal should come on as soon as a cable is connected.?

With the Y shaped cable i use for the effects loop the led comes on the pedal when you plug in either of the ends that is split but not the other end.
Last edited by Lozhaze at Jan 11, 2012,
How are you powering the pedal?

EDIT: Nvm, I see you're using a battery. Can you try using a power supply instead?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Problem solved. Unbelievably all 3 planet waves cables i tried at my office didn't work and the first crappy one i tried at home worked fine.

Although the planet waves cables work well with a guitar.
Not sure what's happening there.
Are you using the planet wave cables which have a notch in the plug that catches / secures it in the jack?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Are you using the planet wave cables which have a notch in the plug that catches / secures it in the jack?

If you mean like this with the second black ring up the shaft then yes i am, is there an issue with these jacks then?

Last edited by Lozhaze at Jan 12, 2012,
Those are stereo cables. You need to use mono cables for guitar pedals. The Sleeve part connects the Ring and Sleeve of the input jack together. On the input jack, the battery negative is connected to the Ring and the Sleeve is connected to ground. Inserting a mono cable connects the Ring and Sleeve together completing the circuit and in turn powering the pedal. When you insert a stereo cable, the sleeve can't connect to the ring of the jack.
Quote by Griffin Effects
Those are stereo cables. You need to use mono cables for guitar pedals. The Sleeve part connects the Ring and Sleeve of the input jack together. On the input jack, the battery negative is connected to the Ring and the Sleeve is connected to ground. Inserting a mono cable connects the Ring and Sleeve together completing the circuit and in turn powering the pedal. When you insert a stereo cable, the sleeve can't connect to the ring of the jack.

I see, thanks for the info. These cables are ok for use with instruments though?
They seem to work well enough.
Last edited by Lozhaze at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Lozhaze
I see, thanks for the info. These cables are ok for use with instruments though?
They seem to work well enough.

It would be fine on the guitar end but on the pedal end, you would run into problems with power like I explained. You would have to open the cable end up and connect the ring to sleeve for it to work properly.
You should just use mono cables period. I don't think those cables you are using are INSTRUMENT cables.
Quote by Griffin Effects
It would be fine on the guitar end but on the pedal end, you would run into problems with power like I explained. You would have to open the cable end up and connect the ring to sleeve for it to work properly.
You should just use mono cables period. I don't think those cables you are using are INSTRUMENT cables.

Nice one thanks.
Interesting thing about using those cables for gear hookup;
Some gear is 'balanced', and requires either XLR cables, or a balanced 1/4" that looks exactly like a stereo cable (and would function like one in a stereo application). My G-Major 2 accepts balanced 1/4" connections, and I thought that in a pinch, I could connect it to my Mesa 20:20 using balanced cables, even though the Mesa is unbalanced at the inputs. Bad idea. I don't think I would have noticed, except the Mesa is a stereo amp and I am running it into a stereo 2x12. What results from using the balanced cables is phase reversal of the 2 channels.

Moral of the story - use only the correct type of cabling for the job.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
the Sansui is stereo amp

Fixed. And I don't think it's tube.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Fixed. And I don't think it's tube.

Huh? What on earth are you on about?
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1