Page 1 of 2
They sing about the coming of our lord and savior Jesus Christ, embrace him into your hearts.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
The thing is, technically Christian rock bands are just rock bands who are Christian, it shouldn't really change their genre...
BUT unfortunately, I have found that mainstream Christian rock still has a very signature sound and somehow all manages to fall into a pretty similar bland genre.
Rock bands that sing about Christ and his religion...

I'm not sure why this is confusing.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by mikeyknowsbetter
you're kidding right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsZaW-0WEM

tell me how this has anything to do with religion

Tell how that band is classified as a Christian rock band. Because the guys are Catholic? You wouldn't consider a band with Buddhist members a Buddhist rock band, would you?

Theme is what makes a band a 'Christian" rock band.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by jetfuel495
"Christian" is more of a description of the members rather than the music.

So why have I never heard about Atheist bands or Jewish bands or Islamic bands?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by jetfuel495

Other way around.

e.g. Evanescence. Started off as a Christian band with Christian themes, and have since dropped the Christian themes and are no longer considered a Christian rock band despite them all being Christian.
They just happen to be Christians in a band, I don't know about Creed, but Anberlin isn't preachy...there's a difference between a band of Christians and a Christian Rock band who's goal is spreading their message
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Quote by jetfuel495
>black metal
>jewish hip hop
>jihadcore

It's all there, man. Just not as popular. For obvious reasons.

but none of those genres would be those genres unless the artists themselves somehow portrayed through their music their religious beliefs. Just being religious doesn't change the music, the MUSIC defines the genre.

Someone explained generic Christian rock to me like this (doesn't make it any better, but explains it well; also excludes the HxC christian bands. We're talking plain shit here):

It's written typically anthemically, with many artists often covering several standard over and over again not to try and boost themselves up with their own music, but to get a bunch of worshippers together chanting these simple tunes like "Our goooood is an awesome goooood he reiiigns blahblahblah" It's meant more as a unifying device rather than something to appreciate as music.

I still don't like it.
Last edited by mental_zer0 at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by jetfuel495

This, other than just the lyrics of course.

I got into a debate about this with my friend the other day.

I said, "Christian rock was just normal rock, but they changed their "genre" just because of what they sing about, which isn't how it works."

So he said something extreme like, "Well why is DEATH metal called DEATH metal, they sing about DEATH, therefor they are death metal." So I just ended it by saying, "Yeah, but you can have instrumental death metal songs and you'll still know it's death metal, an instrumental Christian rock song, is just an instrumental rock song."
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Jan 11, 2012,
Jihadcore
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by jetfuel495

Not quite, theres a 'sound' to it all as such. A very bland annoying sound that needs to stop.

'I am not a Christian artist, I am an artist who is a Christian. '
- Johnny Cash
Quote by Zoot Allures
Not quite, theres a 'sound' to it all as such. A very bland annoying sound that needs to stop.

'I am not a Christian artist, I am an artist who is a Christian. '
- Johnny Cash

This!!!!! For some reason many, not all, Christian artist think that only 4 chords, no dynamics and bland lyrics are impressive
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Quote by TerrBear2012
This!!!!! For some reason many, not all, Christian artist think that only 4 chords, no dynamics and bland lyrics are impressive

So do fans of AC/DC.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Skillet's Collide and Comatose were great! P.O.D = awesome....Some Christian bands have done it right, mainly the ones who aren't specifically worship bands(Phil Keaggy being an exception)

Science is crazy!
People have already nailed it.

If the music is always/largely about God/Christ/The Bible then they are considered a Christian Rock band. It's just rock which has Christian themes.

Underoath are the only acceptable "Christian ___" band to listen to.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
So do fans of AC/DC.

+1
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Rockford_rocks
I agree.

I'll give you them as well.

Flyleaf and Underoath are the only acceptable "Christian ____" bands to listen to.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Wouldn't be nearly as commercially successful as Christian

Christians are really good at whoring out their religion
Quote by mikeyknowsbetter
you're kidding right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsZaW-0WEM

tell me how this has anything to do with religion

Was this over before
Before it ever began
Your kiss
Your calls
Your crutch
Like the devils got your hand
This was over before
Before it ever began
Your lips
Your lies
Your lust
Like the devils in your hands

I actually listen to a lot of Christian bands that sing about Christ. Anberlin does do it. Flyleaf, a little Underoath, The Almost, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Because Christians care more that others know they're Christian.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Because Christians care more that others know they're Christian.

Yeah, muslims and jews always seem humble about their religion in public.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Matisyahu says "what's up".
I think another important factor is who these bands market themselves towards. What labels they decide to sign to (there are christian labels out there that cater specifically to said bands). You have ones that pigeonhole themselves into catering only to christian youth. You can only find their albums in some christian book store or something.
Quote by jetfuel495
>black metal
>jewish hip hop
>jihadcore

It's all there, man. Just not as popular. For obvious reasons.

I'm down to listen to some jihadcore or jewpop.

Buddhists?
Quote by MadClownDisease
The thing is, technically Christian rock bands are just rock bands who are Christian, it shouldn't really change their genre...
BUT unfortunately, I have found that mainstream Christian rock still has a very signature sound and somehow all manages to fall into a pretty similar bland genre.

The thing is though, that the Christian bands you hear on the radio are mainly "Worship" bands, not labeled as christian exactly ... There are 2 types of christian bands.

On Ramp is what bands like Creed, Anberlin, and Skillet are ... They aren't putting out songs with evident "WE LOVE YOU JESUS!" type of lyrics, but writing songs the way they want to.

Worship bands are bands WITH evident "WE LOVE YOU JESUS!" type of lyrics, Like David Crowder Band, Jesus Culture, or Hillsong.

Does this clear anything up with this debate? I would be happy to post up some links to christian bands who don't suck but that comes down to taste really.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Image is about having hot licks & rock star swag, not fancy amps.

Quote by garden of grey
That's what the Illuminati wants you to think, man
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Christian band = regular band whose manager decided they could make a lot of money marketing to Christians.
ggg1 ggg3

Page 1 of 2