So i recently purchased a used b-52 atx-100 and it sounds a bit lifeless and its still has the stock sovtek 5881's in it and the stock eh 12Ax7's in it.

I play the BroOtaLzZ with it so im looking for a good dark and heavy voiced power tube. and preamp tube. i will probably just change out the power tubes for now due to money. i am almost sure that a 5881 is just a 6l6 variant isnt it?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
5881 were a military grade 6L6. I find it rather amusing that Sovtek make something they claim to be a 5881. 'sif.

JJ all the way, man. 6L6GC, ECC83S and throw in an ECC803 to experiment with. ECC803 are a good valve for V1 because they are low noise.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
should i get 2 matched pairs or a matched quad?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
thats what i thought thanks guys!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Matched quad for power tubes for sure. JJ preamp tubes are nice. They aren't too bright so would suit you if you are looking for a darker sound. Power amp tubes - JJ 6l6 tubes would be a good start. Again they arent overly bright. Anything will sound better than standard sovteks probably. When buying tubes I try to buy from places that burn them in and test them to some degree so that I limit the risk of things dying mid gig in front of an audience so try and do the same if you can. You may pay a bit more for the tubes - maybe a couple of $ for the pres and if you are buying a matched and graded quad then they will have been fired up for at least the testing period to allow them to measure their performance.