hi,

i have tried shredding for a while and am not too good at it, so was wondering what is the best size plectrum for shredding(mm)

thanks
Last edited by metal head 1 at Jan 11, 2012,
The best sized pick for playing the guitar fast is practice...

Pick size is pure opinion. I personally use Eric Johnson Jazz III picks which are real cool, but often I find thicker jazz picks (as in the genre, not the Dunlop pick) real easy to use.
Where I know people who can't use picks thicker than 1mm for shit.
definitely preference is the main thing.

that being said, if you want a sorta general rule of thumb as to where to start looking, shredders *tend* to use thicker picks. Like, 1mm or heavier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sounds like you need a jazz iii. try different thicknesses and materials and see what you like. I prefer the max grip carbon fiber because i don't drop it, its really stiff, and lasts a while.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
Quote by metal head 1
hi,

i have tried shredding for a while and am not too good at it, so was wondering what is the best size plectrum for shredding(mm)

thanks

These ones.

Nothing else will help.

Except....ummm....you know....Practicing more.

More seriously, I use THESE but I'm not exactly a shredder of any particular talent.

Just buy a bunch of different sizes, thicknesses and shapes and try them until you find one you like. Picks are cheap.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i use jazz3 picks to shred. I can pick exponentially faster with jazz picks as opposed to .96-1mm
Try some out at the store, if they have some out, and see what feels best for you.

+1 on Dunlop Jazz III's though, I'm not a shredder but have been using those almost exclusively for 2 years.
Most shredders use medium to thick picks (>1.00 mm), but Paul Gilbert is perhaps one of the best alternate pickers in the world and uses a very light .50 mm pick. So it's really about skill, not the tool you use.

If you're not good at shred, practice more. Read some lessons on how to practice correctly on this site, they're helpful!
Hehe, Jazz IIIs. I always heard people rave about them and I use to be a devout fan of Dunlop Gater-grips, so I asked for a pack of Jazz IIIs for Xmas to try em out. Damn the masses were right.

Picks are all preference, but the smaller size and higher gauge of Jazz IIIs does help cut through the strings a little better and a little more accurately.
A Pick is NOT going to make you be able to shred...... Just pick a COMFORTABLE pick, and lean shredding and practice it with that
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
Quote by Lee Makky
A Pick is NOT going to make you be able to shred......

i dunno if i agree with that... i mean i agree that practising is more important, but if you handed me a strummers' pick i'm not sure i could play as quickly as i can play with a thicker one...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you should just use whatever pick you find comfortable whether its 3 million metres or 3 millionths of a metre. use what you feel best with
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Generally, yea, go with whatever kind of pick you are comfortable with. However, one will likely find that what they will comfortable with will change over time, and you never know until you try something.

It so happens that some thicker picks are often prefered because they allow more control/precision. I've definitely moved in this direction over time (thicker picks), and it feels much better to play with, even if beforehand I might have had a bit of an irrational fear that thick stuff would stifle my playing (it ended up not being true).
Quote by Lee Makky
A Pick is NOT going to make you be able to shred...... Just pick a COMFORTABLE pick, and lean shredding and practice it with that

I disagree as well. I only use sharp picks, or I file down my pics to a point.
If I use a conventional pick I don't alternate up/down as well or as fast and I hit more in between strings when string skipping.

I'll only use a conventional pick with my acoustic for strumming
Quote by Dave_Mc
definitely preference is the main thing.

that being said, if you want a sorta general rule of thumb as to where to start looking, shredders *tend* to use thicker picks. Like, 1mm or heavier.

To you I say paul gilbert

But yea in general I agree with you
james hetfield had some nice fang picks. try those.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A