i was just wonderin if the caged system of finding chords will work with less comonly used chords like F7#9 or Eb7#9...you know those funky chords like that ... or to put it more bluntly anything that has like a 7th or 9th etc. added to it
"A girl and a boy bump into each other - surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops - surely another accident.
But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid - _that had to mean something_."
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Not really, no. There are semi standard shapes for extended chords that work well on the guitar however.

semi standard what what? so are you sayin i just gotta learn all those chords one by one ... i cant just learn all the shapes and then just move them around just changing the key .... like say Emaj7 ...if i moved that same shape to like the sixth fret does it then become Fmaj7 ...if i could finger that anyway
"A girl and a boy bump into each other - surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops - surely another accident.
But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid - _that had to mean something_."
Quote by lesbian seagull
semi standard what what? so are you sayin i just gotta learn all those chords one by one ... i cant just learn all the shapes and then just move them around just changing the key .... like say Emaj7 ...if i moved that same shape to like the sixth fret does it then become Fmaj7 ...if i could finger that anyway

Oh lord, actually having to work at music...

The shapes are somewhat standard, 7ths are pretty easily transposable in root position without the 5th. As are the barre chord versions, but that's already two different shapes for each variant of the 7th chord. Major 9ths are also pretty standard but beyond that there are too many options to just memorize a single shape but there are multiple shapes to learn. It all depends on which notes you're omitting.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by lesbian seagull

oh, you can do that -- but then you'll know only one voicing for each chord. gonna get real boring, real fast, and you're going to be extremely limited.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Your best bet is to learn some theory so that you can figure out how to actually build chords that you aren't familiar with. musictheory.net will help with that. Different ways of playing the same chord are called different voicings so searching around for a chart that can show you several voicings for the same chord. I would recommend getting away from using open strings for now because that leaves you glued to the first position. Once you learn how to play a chord using no open strings, you've essentially learned 12 different chords because the same shape applied whether its a Gmaj7 or a Bbmaj7.
Sig What?
Quote by lesbian seagull
i was just wonderin if the caged system of finding chords will work with less comonly used chords like F7#9 or Eb7#9...you know those funky chords like that ... or to put it more bluntly anything that has like a 7th or 9th etc. added to it

Yes, although they start to look less and less like the open chords they're named after. The basic intervallic knowledge involved in CAGED will still help massively with finding appropriate voicings...

Eg, E7#9
(I hate this A voicing, anyone got a better suggestion?)
E||--3----3---------10----------||
B||--0----3----8-----9----12----||
G||--1----1----7-----9----12----||
D||--0----2----6-----9----12----||
A||--2---------7----10----11----||
E||--0--------------------12----||
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, you can do that -- but then you'll know only one voicing for each chord. gonna get real boring, real fast, and you're going to be extremely limited.

this.

learn chord construction, learn the notes on the fretboard, you'll be ready for any chord you might find
Quote by Freepower
Yes, although they start to look less and less like the open chords they're named after. The basic intervallic knowledge involved in CAGED will still help massively with finding appropriate voicings...

Eg, E7#9

e--0---
b--8---
g--7---
d--6---
a--7---
E--0---

:3

oh...!

e--3---
b--3---
g--1---
d--0---
a--2---
E--0---

Doubling the D sound better than doubling the B to me.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by lesbian seagull

This
Yes, although they start to look less and less like the open chords they're named after.

Anyhow, heres the system going through the shapes in the order of EDCAG.
-4-4-4----
-4-4-6-9-9
-2-2-8-8-10
-1-3-7-7-13
-------8-12
-1-------
Quote by Freepower

Eg, E7#9

You mean this one?

---
-8-
-7-
-6-
-7-
---

Sorry, you're pretty much screwed there. You can try this, but it's not much better:

---
-8-
-9-
-12-
-11-
---

Personally, I think the traditional A string voicing is probably the best example of a 7#9 chord, but if you really don't like it, you should just stick to E and D string versions.