Who is hopefully going to uni this year?

I am planning on getting into Tech Music School in London. I've got an audition on the 2nd of February. Very excited for it.

However, the student finance site is down apparently so I can't work out what sort of financial help I'm able to get. I would like to do a three year BMus Hons but I don't think I'm quite at the playing standard yet. You need to be grade 8 playing and 6 theory. I've never done my grades so I don't know what grade I am. So it looks as though I'm doing a one year diploma then hopefully moving up to the three year course after.

What are you guys hoping to do?
You had to had to have grade 8 playing and 6 theory for the music tech course I applied for last year. Got an offer even though I don't have any formal qualifications in music and didn't have to go for the interview.

Shame I fucked up though!

But if you're doing general music I suppose you have to have formal qualifications. Good luck!
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Duffman123
You had to had to have grade 8 playing and 6 theory for the music tech course I applied for last year. Got an offer even though I don't have any formal qualifications in music and didn't have to go for the interview.

Shame I fucked up though!

Oh really? This is interesting... How do you mean you fucked up?
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Oh really? This is interesting... How do you mean you fucked up?

Was sitting on AAB (needed BBB) but the work got on top of me and I basically just gave up on the last month of school. Sucks but what can you do.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Who is hopefully going to uni this year?

I am planning on getting into Tech Music School in London. I've got an audition on the 2nd of February. Very excited for it.

What are you guys hoping to do?

Good luck with your audition!

Im hoping to get into a uni for various music courses (couple of production ones, couple of general music degrees). They all say you need grade 8 guitar + 5 or 6 theory, plus grade 5 piano - which i dont have all of those qualifications but im hoping i'll get in purely off my UCAS points and my BTEC. But since i applied im looking to get my grade 8 over summer just so i have it in writing, same with grade 5 music theory.

I applied to kings college, sheffield, hertfordshire, durham and derby they all looked pretty decent.

I looked at tech music but im guessing everyone going is some sort of technical virtuoso. I was more interested in the composition side of things.
My mate got in the drum tech course with absolutely 0 grades, but he just tanked the audition and subsequently got an endoresment deal out of it too haha.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by W4T3V3R

Im hoping to get into a uni for various music courses (couple of production ones, couple of general music degrees). They all say you need grade 8 guitar + 5 or 6 theory, plus grade 5 piano - which i dont have all of those qualifications but im hoping i'll get in purely off my UCAS points and my BTEC.

Is your BTEC in music?
Quote by Duffman123
Are you doing a BTEC in music?

Yup it covers alot of bases but i dont know if it helps sway the uni's decision to let me in. :L
Hoping to transfer to uni this year from a two year school. Depends on where I get accepted to if I do another semester at the two year school or not though. Going for a bachelors of science in psychology.

Best part is, I won't have nearly as much debt as my friends do from going to uni

Ashley
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by W4T3V3R
Yup it covers alot of bases but i dont know if it helps sway the uni's decision to let me in. :L

After picking an awful BTEC course this year I'm think of doing a BTEC in music in September. Is there a lot of theory involved? And can you get into uni's solely with the BTEC?
Quote by W4T3V3R

I looked at tech music but im guessing everyone going is some sort of technical virtuoso. I was more interested in the composition side of things.
My mate got in the drum tech course with absolutely 0 grades, but he just tanked the audition and subsequently got an endoresment deal out of it too haha.

Thanks!

It's not about technique or virtuosity, it is about making you a better musician. Making you a musician instead of just a guitarist.

I've been hearing a lot about people being under qualified but getting in to higher courses.

I already have a fairly basic, but solid understanding of some music theory, I can read music and my playing isn't too bad. However, my A Level Grades were horrible. E's, U's... I think my highest was a D. I was never good at School. But music is something I'm very dedicated to. I really hope I can get into the higher diploma
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Thanks!

It's not about technique or virtuosity, it is about making you a better musician. Making you a musician instead of just a guitarist.

I've been hearing a lot about people being under qualified but getting in to higher courses.

I already have a fairly basic, but solid understanding of some music theory, I can read music and my playing isn't too bad. However, my A Level Grades were horrible. E's, U's... I think my highest was a D. I was never good at School. But music is something I'm very dedicated to. I really hope I can get into the higher diploma

How come the diploma's only one year? Usually seems like you have to do 2 years for a diploma like that.
Quote by Duffman123
How come the diploma's only one year? Usually seems like you have to do 2 years for a diploma like that.

I don't know. It just is. The higher diploma is also one year.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I don't know. It just is. The higher diploma is also one year.

Ah right k. Just wondering because the one I'm looking into is 2 years long and I really don't want to wait another 2 years till uni.
Quote by Duffman123
After picking an awful BTEC course this year I'm think of doing a BTEC in music in September. Is there a lot of theory involved? And can you get into uni's solely with the BTEC?

There isnt a great deal of theory in it, but what there is - is really helpful. You can get up to 400+ UCAS points with the btech i think (its basically 3 A levels, so think of it as if you got 3 A's at A level) so yes you can get in soley on the BTEC.

The actual theory module is only grade 1. But our tutor who did the theory with us did advanced classes with those who already had some understanding.

Then there is the musicianship module which is about reading charts/sheet music as an ensemble, which is really good.

And there is an optional theatre module where again chart/sheet music is used.

But all the theory is basic enough to get into with options to try harder theory.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Thanks!

I guess it is the same course

But my feeling was that instead of being on a music degree with a variety of musicians, i'd be with a variety of guitarists?
I dunno. I had a horrible vision of being stuck for 3 years with arpeggio monsters
Maybe i'll apply for the diploma just in case...
Quote by W4T3V3R
There isnt a great deal of theory in it, but what there is - is really helpful. You can get up to 400+ UCAS points with the btech i think (its basically 3 A levels, so think of it as if you got 3 A's at A level) so yes you can get in soley on the BTEC.

The actual theory module is only grade 1. But our tutor who did the theory with us did advanced classes with those who already had some understanding.

Then there is the musicianship module which is about reading charts/sheet music as an ensemble, which is really good.

And there is an optional theatre module where again chart/sheet music is used.

But all the theory is basic enough to get into with options to try harder theory.

Cheers for the reply mate

I've always been wanting to improve my theory so hopefully the course will help and get me into uni.
Quote by W4T3V3R
I guess it is the same course

But my feeling was that instead of being on a music degree with a variety of musicians, i'd be with a variety of guitarists?
I dunno. I had a horrible vision of being stuck for 3 years with arpeggio monsters
Maybe i'll apply for the diploma just in case...

No I doubt it'll be like that. I haven't got a clue about arpeggios

Also, anyone know how much it costs for general living for a year? Including rent, food, general necessities...
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by W4T3V3R
I applied to kings college, sheffield, hertfordshire, durham and derby they all looked pretty decent.

I'm in my first year doing composition and technology at hertfordshire and I have to say the music department here is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough really.
Looking to start computer science this year
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
I'm 99% sure I'm going to Leicester to do either History or Ancient History and History. I only need 1 more mark to get in and I've got all the rest of the year to get it, so should be alright. If I bump up two of my grades (which shouldn't be too hard anyway) I get some kind of scholarship of like £2k a year as well which is handy.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm