Hello UGers!
I have just got myslef an MG250dfx ( mg 100w stereo combo 212) for next-to-nothing
to be fair, I don't get bad sounds from it at 'bedroom' levels, but when i get up to 'hearing the guitar over the drums' levels it breaks up and sounds kinda pants!

I have a healthy half stack that i am chuffed with, but don't want to drag it around everywhere, and it is not 'ideal' for smaller venues or practice's.

So, i find myself thinking whether it would be a good idea to mod the combo Mg.
I know MG amps have got a bad rep off a LOT of people, but at low volume levels they don't seem that bad, and With tweeking I can get some nice sounds.

I play what i describe as 'classic heavy rock/metal' between Sabbath and Guns n Roses kind of sounds.
Im from The Uk, I have been playing for 11 years, I play at home, in our practice garage, and at venues.

I have got some Eminence legend GB128's in my marshall M412, and I love those with my Valve heads, so maybe i could get a massively improved sound with these in the MG? maybe it would be better to go for 75w speakers, maybe preventing break up at higher levels? maybe the 1258's?
If any one has any suggestions other that 'MG's Suck' please do advise! i am aware MG's are not the best out there, Thats why i want to make it better (at higher volumes)
Thanks
T
Cort M600
Tele Classic Vibe
Les Paul Custom
SG G-400
Laney GH100TI full stack
Laney TF700 11 half stack
Throwing good money after bad...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ that would be my concern

*if* you can get cheap enough good speakers it might be worth considering (blue aran has deals on some eminence models at the moment, you can pick up two speakers for ~£80). and you could always use those speakers later in another cab.

but yeah unless you're getting a good deal i probably wouldn't bother.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could run an MG into a full stack loaded with EV's and it would still get lost in the mix.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well, i got the combo for less than £50, so i dont mind spending up to £100 if it makes a worth-while difference. change the wiring for 16g while im there.
If i end up with something small (ish) that cost me less than 150 quid, and sounds good enough to practice with then i will be happy. also something a little bit qwerky and original maybe. and like you say Dave_Mc, i can always use the speakers in another cab later on.
so i guess the question is now.... what speaker to use?
Cort M600
Tele Classic Vibe
Les Paul Custom
SG G-400
Laney GH100TI full stack
But if you get the speaker and it still doesn't do what you want (which I doubt it will) then you're back at square one except you've got a spare speaker and you're out the cost of it...

If it were me I'd just skip a step and start thinking about a different amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Keep your eye on this. It is certainly something you could keep after you upgrade your amp:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-1960a-4x12-cab-/280804323873?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item41613df221

This is 200 quid "buy now":
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-1960b-Vintage-Cab-Celestion-Vintage-30-Speakers-16-Ohm-/250964838096?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a6eab86d0
It's loaded with V30's so it may not be the best bet for an MG but again - may suit your next amp or you could flip it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
good price on the 1960's! Vintage 30's may go well in a mg. anything will be an improvement i recon.
Would fitting 2 good 75w speakers instead of 2 crap 50w speakers prevent the un-wanted buzz type crackle rubbish sound that i am getting at the moment? it will prob give a better quality tone than the stock ones, its my thinking that the 75w's wont be pushed as hard as the 50w's
Or am i on the wrong track completely?
at the end of the day, if it doesn't work well i can sell the combo, put a bit of money to it and buy a small valve head and use the 2 75w speakers in a 212 cab to go with it.
I want to have a mess around!
Cort M600
Tele Classic Vibe
Les Paul Custom
SG G-400
Laney GH100TI full stack
Maybe but you'd be far better off putting that money towards a decent cab you can use later and just don't use the speakers in the MG combo at all. Why bother trying to polish a turd you're going to sell anyway?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
fair comment. I guess I shall just give up on making the MG better, sell it on for a profit and get a 1x12 tube combo or something.
Cort M600
Tele Classic Vibe
Les Paul Custom
SG G-400
Laney GH100TI full stack
Quote by tmjns796
fair comment. I guess I shall just give up on making the MG better, sell it on for a profit and get a 1x12 tube combo or something.

Indeed.

You could get a Marshall DSL50 or something, that would do your Sabbath and GNR very nicely.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Going with higher efficiency speakers will allow you to get more volume at lower amp levels, which may help you avoid the 'sounds like ass' that the MG's are credited with.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Have you tried to connect the MG to the Marshall cab you already have? Try it, it may give you an idea of what other speakers will sound like for it. You can then work out whether to buy any or not.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by tmjns796
Would fitting 2 good 75w speakers instead of 2 crap 50w speakers prevent the un-wanted buzz type crackle rubbish sound that i am getting at the moment?

not with that amp.

+1 on the getting something else.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.