So I'm doing my first build and have had a few recent threads about it already (all pertaining to different elements/components). Quick project rundown so everyone will know what I'm working with and what I want the end result to be:

Guitar: Squier Bullet (wanted a cheap guitar for my first attempt, in case I screw stuff up lol)

Parts I have on hand for the build so far:

PuP: Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck (SH-4)
DiMarzio 500k push/pull
DiMarzio Copper Shielding tape.
Momentary switch (to add a killswitch)

My goal is mainly to just have a physical guitar to practice electronics, hardware swaps, woodworking, finishing, etc on, so I can practice new things I want to learn before applying them to my more expensive guitars or more expensive builds. However if I had to give a "theme" or "genre" to it then it's gonna be a punk rock guitar. Just straight up no frills aggressive guitar (but not "metal-y" aggressive). That's why I went with the JB for a PuP, it's a great punk rock dirty tone. The guitar right now is a single HB and single volume knob, no tone and no selector switch. I'm not sure how it's routed as I've yet to pull it apart, but it doesn't matter as I want to keep it in the current configuration.

So a member in my other thread suggested the Fender s-1 pot instead of the push/pull I bought for it. I looked into it and decided that's definately the pot I'd rather use on this one (I'll save the push/pull for my future LP build). It's much better aesthetically (wish I knew it existed before I ordered parts so I didn't have to wait for shipping again before starting my project haha).

I've been researching it a bit more and have a few Qs though:

1 - I read it's available "in 250k/500k both with knurled or solid shafts in various lengths". What is the difference in the shafts? I know I want a 500k, but beyond that I don't know the differences.

2 - Does this switch wire up differently than a push/pull? If so how would I split the SD JB and wire it to this pot?

3 - Anyone have a good source to order just a single knob for it (volume)? I've seen 3 packs of the s-1 knobs (2 tone 1 volume). I don't need the tone knobs so I'd rather not pay $15 for the 3-pack. I mean $15 isn't gonna break the bank lol, but still, if there's a source to just buy the one I need then I'm not paying for 2 knobs that will never get used.
stewmac.com , allparts.com, guitarfetish.com

Take your pick, I know they sell individual knobs. If I remember correctly the S-1 Switch was a push mounted to the pickguard. Please specify on what you mean by S-1.

The wiring between the push and the push/pull should be the same as it's still a circuit it's just a different method of implementing the same decision.

Are you considering coil tapping?

The difference is knurled and solid would be Knurled a difference in the pot's stem or the part the knob is attached to and if I remember knurled is a little rough feeling.
Last edited by psyguitarist at Jan 11, 2012,
Yes I want to coil tap the Duncan SH-4. Originally it was going to be a normal push/pull until the Fender one was brought to my attention. "S-1" is just the part or model number I believe, because if I google that it comes up with the switch. I guess it's what's used on all their American Deluxe strats now. It's still the same thing as a push/pull but instead it's push/PUSH. The top of the knob (where it says "tone" or "volume") actually depresses, instead of pulling up on the entire knob and having the whole shaft/knob raised up. Not a big deal on a LP for example, because it doesn't look weird since the top of LPs have that "bulge" in them so it doesn't look like the knob is too high. On a strat they stick noticeably out, so I want use the the fender s-1 pot so the knob height never changes.

In terms of the knurled or regular shaft, is it just like a personal preference thing, or is one better than the other? There's gotta be a difference in SOMETHING, or else why have 2 different shafts?
Last edited by Agent51 at Jan 11, 2012,
I think the shaft is a personal preference and they have different options for different guitars due to body thickness differentials.