Hi all

I've been helping a friend set up his Cort electric. Just waiting for him to remind me what model it is....

The problem we've ran in to is that the top E cannot intonate correctly because the saddle is as far as it can go. In fact, it is even further out than it is meant to be because we added a longer screw! But the saddle not butts up against the bridge post and therefore cannot go further forward.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem and if so can you suggest a solution?

Would changing the gauge of the string help at all, and if so would he need a thicker or thinner gauge? The string on there at the moment is .010.

Thanks in advance for any help to get out of this pickle!!!

Max

PS - is this the right forum for guitar maintenance?
It's pretty unusual to not be able to get the saddle far enough forward - the more common issue is not being able to get the saddle far enough rearward, usually on the low-E.... (I am assuming by "top-E" you mean the high-E string.)

Maybe one thing to check/try is whether the saddle is reversable, and if so, will this serve to position the high point of the saddle close to the front? (Of course, this doesn't fly if your saddles have the height adjusters on the front end, and/or no screw hole on that side.)

In sort of a backwards way, one thing that might help is to raise the action a bit on the high-E string. Then when you are fretting a note, the string will be stretched slightly more, making it less flat / more sharp. This may lead to the intonation turning out about right with the current saddle position.

Changing string gauge may alter things as well - but off the top of my head it's not obvious to me whether you'd want slightly thinner (.009) or slightly thicker (.011). My guess would be that thicker would be in the right direction....
What strings are you using (size brand etc.), maybe high e is just defective, it happens from time to time, was the guitar intonated before, if it was possible then, that it should be string fault, not guitar. If not try thicker string they intonate better. Oh and you just said that you're just setting guitar up, stupid question, but did you guys change the strings cause old ones can do that type of staff.
+1 on the bad string. Some time ago, I restrung a Michael Kelly I had picked up. The D intonation was WAY off. Put on a new one and it went back to normal.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
strings tend to start to sound flatter at the higher frets as they get older, especially the plain ones. since you didn't specify that you've put new strings on i'm going to guess that that may be the problem.

however, if you did put new strings on it, sometimes new strings can be defective straight of the pack, from time to time i've had a few new strings that were already a bit flat to begin with.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the saddle is all the way towards the headstock?
if so, different strings of a slightly heavier gauge will help.

also, if it's a trem make sure the bridge is balanced.

and check the neck relief.
fret the low E at the first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.
around the 19th.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7- 9th.

is the string more than a credit cards thickness up from the fret wire there?
is the string laying on the fret wire there?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011