Well I have been devoting myself to the guitar every day for the past four weeks(except one week where I took a whole week somewhere without my guitar). Before that, I have been practicing soloing for about a year but it wasn't until 4 weeks ago, I got really intense about it mostly because I'm off from school. I spend about 8 hours on it and taking a short break from time to time. I have spent all day yesterday building my speed and successfully increased my speed. However, today, I don't know if it's just my hands needing a warmup or that I need to take a one day break.

I really love playing the guitar and I feel very passionate about it. It's that feeling of accomplishing something that I love chasing after. Whenever I complete a solo or a song or increasing my speed, my self confidence goes up.

What do you guys do when you practice like this? Do you take a break or just let my hands warmup and continue practicing?
Last edited by {Transformer} at Jan 11, 2012,
i always need a bit of a warmup

if after a while im not up to speed, ill take a break
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Keep in mind that while not in exactly the same way, practicing your playing (especially with things like speed) you are developing muscle and precision. Similar to training for a sport, so in the same way you ought to take breaks while lifting weights, you should take breaks for practicing. So its not a terrible idea to take a day off every once in a while, and to give yourself short breaks throughout the day if you are practicing for many hours. Best of luck to ya sir!
However, today, I don't know if it's just my hands needing a warmup or that I need to take a one day break.

So how can we help? You aren't giving us any information except that you're practising lots... which is a good thing.

If you're feeling stiff and sore, make sure you warm up and stretch a bit before getting into the heavy stuff. Don't overpractice stretches or bends. Take a break if you feel pain.

Make sure your posture is correct - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg - the more you practice the more important it is!
Practice is a good thing, but when you're practicing that much you risk doing yourself serious tendon damage if you don't take time out to relax. I'd suggest either cutting down on the amount of practice each day, or if you want to keep the 8 hour sessions going make sure you take a day off at least once, if not twice a week.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Imo i think you shgould practice daily. Of course don't overdoo things they might cause you problems on the long run.

You could take a look at this exercises: http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/guitar-finger-exercises/

Or you can do more generic stuf such as :

- sweep picking, when watching a movie you can take your guitar and practice arpeggios sweeps or anything that you can make without thinking. Just push your boundaries.

As for the warm up stage:

- i see it similar to the warm up every athlete does when training. You should make a habit out of warming up before playing.

Go for legato as they are very cool and they are good warm up exercises.

The most important thing is to know what do you want to achieve with your guitar training and build up from there.

There are tons of videos and ebooks if you can't afford a teacher all you need is desire to learn
Sometimes I find the breaks can even help kind of clear your mind if you are not gettin somethin quite right, and after a day or 2 off it almost seems easier to do...within reason of course. Obviously if im butchering sweeps, a day off isnt gonna make me good at em, LOL!