Page 2 of 2
Quote by SquierLolz
I've done a medium sized club, unmic'd with it. It was on volume 6, and i was perfectly audible. so i call BS

Cheers, you've put my mind at ease. I was considering not getting it for a second there.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
i think you'd be a bit happier with the jca22h. that way u won't have to drop a pedal in front of it for more gain. only thing is that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel. it goes from crunchy to lead. u just have to mess with the preamp gain on the thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4vcBinczA
Quote by SquierLolz
I've done a medium sized club, unmic'd with it. It was on volume 6, and i was perfectly audible. so i call BS

Sorry, I got carried away. I'll reign that in to say that I don't think you could keep up with a pretty loud drummer with a good amount of headroom on it. It no doubt gets loud enough for the stage and for many venues. I just don't think it gets relatively loud for a 20w amp. My crate v18, while not the greatest sounding, is a lot louder than my jca 20.

I actually like the volume I get out of mine because I like to use a lower stage volume to better hear everyone and the JCA20 gives me a lot of control to do so without spending 5 minutes dialing in that tiny sweet spot. I just mention it because I know a lot of people on UG are all about giving themselves tinnitus and cranking their amps up louder than someone like me would be able to handle, especially if they're looking for some headroom (even if it's not the kind of metal headroom that would demand a 50w amp with pristine power section)

I just got the amp and its been sitting untouched for the most part till I finish a few projects. I can't weigh in on recommendations with it until I properly bias it, and (if that doesn't do the trick) retube it.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Sorry, I got carried away. I'll reign that in to say that I don't think you could keep up with a pretty loud drummer with a good amount of headroom on it. It no doubt gets loud enough for the stage and for many venues. I just don't think it gets relatively loud for a 20w amp. My crate v18, while not the greatest sounding, is a lot louder than my jca 20.

I actually like the volume I get out of mine because I like to use a lower stage volume to better hear everyone and the JCA20 gives me a lot of control to do so without spending 5 minutes dialing in that tiny sweet spot. I just mention it because I know a lot of people on UG are all about giving themselves tinnitus and cranking their amps up louder than someone like me would be able to handle, especially if they're looking for some headroom (even if it's not the kind of metal headroom that would demand a 50w amp with pristine power section)

I just got the amp and its been sitting untouched for the most part till I finish a few projects. I can't weigh in on recommendations with it until I properly bias it, and (if that doesn't do the trick) retube it.

Right, I'm confused by the term 'headroom'. Does this simply mean how loud it can get a clean sound before breaking up? Because I don't care, I don't use clean sounds live, we don't play no ballads. But we are certainly not a metal band...
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by StonerRockGuru
I disagree,we tried out numerous guitarists and the ones who didn't have atleast 100watt amps could not be heard over the drummer,or the bass player.It got to the point where we would ask them before they even jammed with us what type of amp they had.Our drummer beats the crap out of his drums and we jam volume cranked to the max.If wattage doesn't =volume,how come the few guys who had 50,60,75watt heads could not even be heard?I could see them playing but could not hear them.

And the bullshit award of the day goes to...

We're talking about tube amps here sir. The only way that I can see a 60W amp not being heard over a drummer, even one who "beats the crap out of his drums", is if it is SS or Power tubes are blown.

For the record, I play a 60W tube and find on most occasions that I could do with a 30W less. I go to a concert every month where a guy plays a 15W Fender with an entire 20 piece big band behind him, perfectly audible.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by Any7423
Right, I'm confused by the term 'headroom'. Does this simply mean how loud it can get a clean sound before breaking up? Because I don't care, I don't use clean sounds live, we don't play no ballads. But we are certainly not a metal band...

With this particular amp I don't mean cleans, I mean enough "give" that it's not totally compressed and you have plenty of dynamic control with pick attack. If you want this one to do more than stage volume, you're going to have to crank it up enough that you don't have enough headroom to do that. Changing pick attack at a volume loud enough to keep up with a heavy drummer will change just how raunchy the JCA20 is, but it's already past the point where it will change how loud the signal is.

Cleans are completely out the window if your next to any drummer with this amp, but I don't think people buy it for cleans, so it's a moot point.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 14, 2012,
^again, if your not buying the amp for cleans the jca22 may be more of what your looking for. its essentially the higher gain version of the jca20 and is modeled after the soldano hot rod i believe. you may not be a metal band but i think you said u dabble in it now and again. the 22 will allow you to go from anywhere from blues to crunch to brootz
If you're buying for cleans, never go with the 20. Seeing as the cleans it does get aren't very special at all.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H

Out of the three choices, the only one you can use is the JC20. A V30 is only a 60W speaker. Both Peaveys are 100W. They would destroy a single V30.

At the same time, though people often disagree with me, I would personally never gig with anything under 50W. I like to have more than enough and not need it, than have not enough and need it.

Maybe someone can comment on if you can pull tubes in the Peaveys. I don't know a whole lot about that. But I guess a Windsor with two of the power tubes pulled would be the best option.

Although, realistically, a single speaker isn't going to cut very well no matter what you do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
peavey windsor head si calling out my name. its calling yours too. $250 used. cant beat that.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
You can't pull power tubes on the peaveys.

For $250, go with a Peavey Ultra combo or head. It'll really high gain, crunch and quite good cleans. 60w. Not your ideal amp, but compared to the alternatives in this thread, it's much better. For AC/DC, run it on the clean channel, with an OD in front and loud as hell. Or the Crunch channel will do, but it won't be power amp distortion.

I can't believe this thread is still going.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 15, 2012,
for all of the people complaining about how loud Xamp volume sounds to Yamp, its loud.

as far as i am considered, its a pissing contest unless you stick a db meter into the equation.

everybody's hearing is different too.

and IIRC at some point in the thread, somebody said they could run ther 6 watt amp and be loud enough for a band, i think that is pushing it. i can't see that happening.

my Dual Terror (30 watts) works great and will cover a band without issue, but i wouldn't have much of a clean tone (not even on the TT channel), and i certainly would not go any lower than what i am running as far as wattage goes. i am running into two PPC2x12"s with one on each side of the stage. that is my opinion argue it if you will.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Loudest or not... I've got a Peavey Windsor half stack... I don't know how loud it can go... I've never turned it up past 4.. blows me off the stage, and my drummer complains about how loud it is... (maybe I'm just old) Best sound for my needs Blues, Classic 70's and 80's rock. I also own a Twin Reverb. never turned that one up past 5, wireless when I was 40 feet away from the amp... Sounded great, but unbearably loud for the venue... Volume smolume... They're all freakin loud.. they're AMPLIFIERS

I'd go with the Windsor... Built like a TANK takes pedals really well and sounds great.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Page 2 of 2