Hello, I am new to the forum but not forums in general, I did read the FAQ thread so I will try to adhere to it as best I can!!
First off a little bit about myself, I'm 18 and looking to start playing the guitar, I listen to bands like Rammstein, SOAD, SOB, Disturbed, Metallica....lots of stuff and all of it's different, I want to start out with an electric guitar that will sound good playing most of the above..I'm mostly interested in playing nu-metal and rock.
I am left handed and I've never picked up a guitar before so I am completely new to all this.
A friend of mine who plays guitar said I should buy a left handed Epiphone SG G-400, he told me it will sound great playing a lot of different kinds of music and it'll be worth the money I pay in the long run. (Here's a link to a site I'll buy it off if you guys think I should: http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_sg_g400_chlh_bundle.htm)
Again I did read the FAQ and I am new here, I don't wanna upset/annoy the mods/admins but I would love to know if this guitar is the best for me and what I want to play. (I will be getting lessons of course, I don't want to pick up any bad habits.) I am serious about playing guitar and it is something I will keep up in the future!
I know I'm not supposed to mention them here but I have got myself sorted out for an amp, courtesy of my friend so that's taken care of...I'd just love the opinion of guitar players about this particular model!
Good to meet you.

The G400 is a good budget guitar. It sucks for people who are left handed that such few lefty models exist.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yeah I have a G-400, nice guitar. Make sure you get one with a straight neck though.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
The G-400 is a good guitar to start with as it will be reliable and last you a while. The necks on them are pretty chunky though so if you don't have large hands it might be uncomfortable to play.
You should get and Ibanez guitar!
Many people use them for Rock and Nu metal and everything in between.
Quote by megaluisdeth
You should get and Ibanez guitar!
Many people use them for Rock and Nu metal and everything in between.

No, G-400 is better than anything Ibanez has to offer in the price range.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Thanks for the fast replies!
@t00DEEPBLUE, yes, yes it does!
@Darkdevil, I should be able to manage it!
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Eh... I'm not so sure about that.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
yeah, a g-400 should pretty much suit your needs. its just a good, solid guitar that suits most players reasonably well.

additionally, its a good guitar to modify and experiment with down the road because its common enough that pretty much every major equipment manufacturer and retailer will have a good sense of what works for it
Quote by Ragu35
Eh... I'm not so sure about that.

I am. Anything around 300$ new ibanez is utter garbage.
Hell my 425$ ibanez is a crappy beginners guitar. Much better off with the epi.
Hey there Ragu 35, a lot of epi fans in this thread I am aware it is a preference type thing but could you please give me some reasons as to why an Ibanez would be better!?
Thanks!
Quote by Most_Triumphant

G400's are hard to beat. But there are comparable guitars for the same amount of money. Personally, i like Epiphone necks because i have large hands and the neck profiles aren't excessively thin. A lot of people exaggerate how thick Epi necks really are. G400's are good enough guitars that nothing much more than a pickup change would make it significantly better. Possibly a new switch and jack, but everything else is pretty good.

I don't like Wizard necks that a lot of Ibanez guitars have (i get hand cramps whenever i do bends and the necks generally feel like something on a toy they're that thin).
If you're going Ibanez, i would never get anything that had a Floyd that wasn't a Prestige or an S. Their fixed bridge guitars are decent though. They have cheap 7 strings that make good modding platforms.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2012,
Actually TS if I were you I'd consider an LTD. Their beginner guitars are great and some of the best you can buy on a budget.
@FearMyLighting, I looked it up, not many youtube videos and next to no covers with it of any bands I am into, I also can't find it on any local listings!
I know I'm not supposed to but I might as well keep it to this one thread....Will a bugera V5 sound good with the G400? I think at this stage it's definitely the guitar I am going to get.
Thanks!
I'd say the G-400 is pretty good if you are just starting out. I do know a friend that has a beginner LTD though and it is easy to play as well. It also sounds pretty good with the bands you mentioned.
Quote by Guitarplaer1192
@FearMyLighting, I looked it up, not many youtube videos and next to no covers with it of any bands I am into, I also can't find it on any local listings!
I know I'm not supposed to but I might as well keep it to this one thread....Will a bugera V5 sound good with the G400? I think at this stage it's definitely the guitar I am going to get.
Thanks!

Actually you said you liked SOAD and daron doesnt just use the Iceman he also uses Gibson SG's as well.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Actually you said you liked SOAD and daron doesnt just use the Iceman he also uses Gibson SG's as well.

I was actually looking at all the guitars he has used and it even listed where and when he's used them! I knew that, on the post you quoted I was talking to FML about the LTDs....I'm confused
The bugera will sound decent with the sg, but not for the styles of music you listed.
I would recommend either a Roland Cube, Vox Vt+ or the Peavey Vypyr.
a vypyr would be able to do those styles of music perfectly fine and its flexible enough that you can play nearly any other type of music as well.
I know i'm probably wrong, but since your an absolute beginner wouldn't it be a good idea to start right handed? I don't think it would be that much easier if you started lefty and plus, a lot more guitars will be available to you down the line as you get better and want better gear.
Quote by Darkdevil725
a vypyr would be able to do those styles of music perfectly fine and its flexible enough that you can play nearly any other type of music as well.

So will the other two.......

Quote by op4blushift
I know i'm probably wrong, but since your an absolute beginner wouldn't it be a good idea to start right handed? I don't think it would be that much easier if you started lefty and plus, a lot more guitars will be available to you down the line as you get better and want better gear.

No. Unless your extremely ambidexterous (sp) learn as a lefty.
I'm gonna agree with the people saying G-400, it's a great guitar, probably one of, if not the best guitars in it's price range for what you're looking for.
Yeah I read into learning as a righty but I was told it would be way eaiser to learn with a lefty, I'm cool with that!!
I'll check out all those amps too, thanks a lot guys, keep the info coming my way!
I actually have played all 3 a fair bit and like the vox vt amp models.
They all sound pretty good for what they are, have good high gain settings and multiple effects.
I like the low gain/ clean models on the vox better.
Thanks!
There aren't many guitar shops near me and the guy in one of the shops tried to sell me a Line 6, 75Watt for 300....not really something I would need!!
I'll see if he has any of those amps in stock and take a look at them
I'll post back once I've got everything, let you know what I choose in the end!