I'm micing my guitar amp with an audix i5, I love the way my guitar tone sounds, but when I record it sounds like crap. Im fairly new to recording, I run the mic into a Line 6 UX1 and use the built in model preamps.. I plan on buying a peavey mixer, will the preamps on the mixer sound better than the ones on the line 6? cause I really hate the way it sounds,
Last edited by skater7512 at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by xFilth
Sorry, my room is too small for me to back up 20 feet to read that

Better?
Unless the mixer has USB connectivity, you'll have to run it into your UX1, which I'm fairly sure can't have the preamps bypassed, so it's not really going to help.

If it's the USB Peavey mixer I'm thinking of, don't waste your money. Nearly no digital mixer under a few grand has anything worthwhile built into it that you can't do in a computer better. Unless you're going to use it for live use as a board and interface to record shows, I would pass on a mixer all together. Not to mention, most of them can only record two tracks (left and right), even if it has more than 2 mic inputs. How much do you have to spend?

Either way, it's most likely just your micing technique. The UX1's preamps aren't the best, but they're certainly not the worst and getting a decent tone out of a good amp should be no issue. Where are you micing the speaker (straight on, to the side, etc.)? Are you placing the mic on-axis (the front of the grille is faced directly at the grille of your cab) or off-axis (the grille is pointed at an angle towards your cab's grille)? How close to the speaker are you micing it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless the mixer has USB connectivity, you'll have to run it into your UX1, which I'm fairly sure can't have the preamps bypassed, so it's not really going to help.

If it's the USB Peavey mixer I'm thinking of, don't waste your money. Nearly no digital mixer under a few grand has anything worthwhile built into it that you can't do in a computer better. Unless you're going to use it for live use as a board and interface to record shows, I would pass on a mixer all together. Not to mention, most of them can only record two tracks (left and right), even if it has more than 2 mic inputs. How much do you have to spend?

Either way, it's most likely just your micing technique. The UX1's preamps aren't the best, but they're certainly not the worst and getting a decent tone out of a good amp should be no issue. Where are you micing the speaker (straight on, to the side, etc.)? Are you placing the mic on-axis (the front of the grille is faced directly at the grille of your cab) or off-axis (the grille is pointed at an angle towards your cab's grille)? How close to the speaker are you micing it?

All of this. Plus, you should always mic your cab with headphones. You should play with the signal going into a set of headphones and move the mic around, you'll get a much better sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well I was going to use the mixer to add more mics and record drums also, but if running it through the UX1 is going to get me the same crappy tone then I'll have to find something else. You can take off the preamps in POD Farm. What mixer/method would you recommend for recording drums with 4 mics and guitar?
Don't use pod farm preamp simulation on distorted guitars. If you record your amp the right way it'll sound much better without such plugins, I just find them too extreme for distorted guits. If you want to record more mics, don't buy a mixer, just buy a bigger interface like a Focusrite saffire 40, Tascam US-2000 etc.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jan 12, 2012,