Hey i hope that i can get a good answer from some fellow musicians! I'am pretty much stuck right now i'm looking for something to improve my overall playing! I live where i unfortunetly cannot be taught by a real music teacher who knows his stuff. I just want to know if any of you know or have used AND improved by learning from a DVD on let's say music theory (which i want to learn), different scales and how to use them, and chords! Stuff like that i need just to improve my playing i need something on how to make a good song and understanding soloing! I'm sorry if this is very confusing but i'm not sure what i exactly want to learn, of coarse i want to improve everything and learn everything lol! I guess if i have to narrow it down i want to learn music theory something that can basically help me have a better understanding of music and how to use it and just become better lol. Thank you for your time! Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Headbang Motherf*****!
I really think you should check out Rockhousemethod (as mentioned) and Lick Library. Real quality stuff imo!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by jkielq91
Check out JamPlay.com

I think you can learn more from that in a short subscription than you can from most DVD's.

Yea i will for a long time i've put it off it's time i look into it for real! Lol thanks!
Quote by Sickz
I really think you should check out Rockhousemethod (as mentioned) and Lick Library. Real quality stuff imo!

Yeah i will! Thanks! I went to check out some Lick Libary stuff but unfortunetly they are located in the UK! Who knows how long or how much or even if they ship to the states! Lol but thanks you i really appricate it
I bought the Gibson learn and master series. Pretty good but I'm only 3 lessons in so far. I've also used some of the online lessons from justinguitar.com. Another good resource.
Justinguitar.com is what I've been using and it's been working pretty well. Goes in stages and experience level (only beginner and intermediate courses right now, don't know if there will be an advanced one) and teaches you a couple things each stage (chords for example) and then tells you how to practice them and how long you should minimum. On top of that there are articles on scales, arpeggios, theory, and different styles of guitar, plus more. I'm only using the beginner course right now though so I haven't looked at the extra stuff much.

Also, almost everything comes with a video and text to learn it from.
You might want to be more clear on the style of music I can recomend Jazz, Metal, Rock, Blues, and etc. for learning materials but it's easier to get an idea of what you want if you define it more.

For Music Theory, I would learn from a Book. Theres a Hal Leonard book called "Music Thory for Guitarists". It's a good book for starters and for those who are abit jumbled in their learnings. Also great reference material! It has all the answers in the back. It's not a DvD but I don't know any Music Theory DvD to be honest.

The book will take you through the basics, teach you basic intervals, how to make scales, the scale degrees, triads, etc. It's a little lengthy but worth it to any aspiring musician wanting to learn.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you want a great DVD that focus' on rhythm (blues) and overall chord effeciency, look at Robben Ford's "The Art of Blues Rhythm". Great DVD.

A great book is Beginner Jazz Guitar by Jody Fisher. Great book that also helps with rhythm, chording, theory.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by socrfb
Justinguitar.com is what I've been using and it's been working pretty well. Goes in stages and experience level (only beginner and intermediate courses right now, don't know if there will be an advanced one) and teaches you a couple things each stage (chords for example) and then tells you how to practice them and how long you should minimum. On top of that there are articles on scales, arpeggios, theory, and different styles of guitar, plus more. I'm only using the beginner course right now though so I haven't looked at the extra stuff much.

Also, almost everything comes with a video and text to learn it from.

Thank you!
Quote by Xter
You might want to be more clear on the style of music I can recomend Jazz, Metal, Rock, Blues, and etc. for learning materials but it's easier to get an idea of what you want if you define it more.

For Music Theory, I would learn from a Book. Theres a Hal Leonard book called "Music Thory for Guitarists". It's a good book for starters and for those who are abit jumbled in their learnings. Also great reference material! It has all the answers in the back. It's not a DvD but I don't know any Music Theory DvD to be honest.

The book will take you through the basics, teach you basic intervals, how to make scales, the scale degrees, triads, etc. It's a little lengthy but worth it to any aspiring musician wanting to learn.

Cheers,
Xter

Thank you! I play metal mostly it's where my heart is! I also love classic rock, blues, and jazz! I love all kinds of music except of coarse the crap out now but anyways i appreciate it and i'll check out the book! Do you know any good DVD's i'm willing to learn anything that'll help me progress in soloing mainly?
Quote by madh4ttr
If you want a great DVD that focus' on rhythm (blues) and overall chord effeciency, look at Robben Ford's "The Art of Blues Rhythm". Great DVD.

A great book is Beginner Jazz Guitar by Jody Fisher. Great book that also helps with rhythm, chording, theory.

Thank you!
Quote by Shogun_23
Hey i hope that i can get a good answer from some fellow musicians! I'am pretty much stuck right now i'm looking for something to improve my overall playing! I live where i unfortunetly cannot be taught by a real music teacher who knows his stuff. I just want to know if any of you know or have used AND improved by learning from a DVD on let's say music theory (which i want to learn), different scales and how to use them, and chords! Stuff like that i need just to improve my playing i need something on how to make a good song and understanding soloing! I'm sorry if this is very confusing but i'm not sure what i exactly want to learn, of coarse i want to improve everything and learn everything lol! I guess if i have to narrow it down i want to learn music theory something that can basically help me have a better understanding of music and how to use it and just become better lol. Thank you for your time! Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Headbang Motherf*****!

Great question and thread! I was looking for a (kids) beginner instruction book and didn't even think of a DVD or DVD series. duhhh! I hope I can get some good ideas from this. Seeing is usually much easier than reading and imagining.
Quote by Shogun_23
Yeah i will! Thanks! I went to check out some Lick Libary stuff but unfortunetly they are located in the UK! Who knows how long or how much or even if they ship to the states! Lol but thanks you i really appricate it

Read that you need DVD's for mainly soloing so i would recommend these DVD's from these 2 companys.

Rockhouse method:
Creative fusion by Kiko luerio (Guitarist in power metal band Angra), this DVD is based mainly around arpeggios. Arpeggios is the best way to keep your solos melodic and fitting to what you are playing over. I believe there is a sample of the DVD on youtube so you can see if you like it before you buy it.

Also fretboard autopsy 1 & 2 by Rusty cooley. This one will give you help approaching learning scales, many technique stuff and practice tips.

Lick Library: (Wich i actully believe ships pretty cheap to the states)

Metal rhythm in 6 weeks by Andy James. This as said teaches you metal rhythm guitar in 6 DVD's (you can buy 1 Dvd at a time if the whole bundle is too expensive) like arpeggios in rhythm player, playing against the beat, palm muting and all that good stuff. Really great DvD

Metal soloing in 6 weeks by Andy James. Basiclly the same but with lead guitar. Teaches you arpeggio, legato, tapping, sweeping stuff. Also pentatonic licks, blues scale metal licks, major scale licks, and also each of the 6 dvds has 3-4 licks by a famous guitarist to learn. Week 1 is Zakk whylde, 2 is Paul gilbert, 3 is Dimebag darrell, 4 is Yngwie malmsteen, 5 is steve vai and 6 is John petrucci.

Hope that helped! If you want more info bout the DvDs just message!

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by Never2Lowd
Great question and thread! I was looking for a (kids) beginner instruction book and didn't even think of a DVD or DVD series. duhhh! I hope I can get some good ideas from this. Seeing is usually much easier than reading and imagining.

Hey thanks, i would consider myself high level so to speak but not really high HIGH! Lol! I too do get stuck and need just something to further improve my technique you know? I hope you do find something in here suitable for you! I'm looking for the right DVD or something if i find something good and works for me i'll definetly come back and post it here on this forum so maybe someone else like you can benifit from it or something thank you!
Quote by Sickz
Read that you need DVD's for mainly soloing so i would recommend these DVD's from these 2 companys.

Rockhouse method:
Creative fusion by Kiko luerio (Guitarist in power metal band Angra), this DVD is based mainly around arpeggios. Arpeggios is the best way to keep your solos melodic and fitting to what you are playing over. I believe there is a sample of the DVD on youtube so you can see if you like it before you buy it.

Also fretboard autopsy 1 & 2 by Rusty cooley. This one will give you help approaching learning scales, many technique stuff and practice tips.

Lick Library: (Wich i actully believe ships pretty cheap to the states)

Metal rhythm in 6 weeks by Andy James. This as said teaches you metal rhythm guitar in 6 DVD's (you can buy 1 Dvd at a time if the whole bundle is too expensive) like arpeggios in rhythm player, playing against the beat, palm muting and all that good stuff. Really great DvD

Metal soloing in 6 weeks by Andy James. Basiclly the same but with lead guitar. Teaches you arpeggio, legato, tapping, sweeping stuff. Also pentatonic licks, blues scale metal licks, major scale licks, and also each of the 6 dvds has 3-4 licks by a famous guitarist to learn. Week 1 is Zakk whylde, 2 is Paul gilbert, 3 is Dimebag darrell, 4 is Yngwie malmsteen, 5 is steve vai and 6 is John petrucci.

Hope that helped! If you want more info bout the DvDs just message!

Thank you very much! I think Lick libary has more to offer than the rock house imo! Andy James is amazing and i'm glad you told me about that i think i would benefit from "metal soloing in 6 weeks" and the licks by pretty much my main influences as with every musician is awesome! Thank you! I'm gonna see how long it would take to ship to the states and if they still sell the metal soloing by Andy James! Thank you i seriously appreciate you taking the time out of your day to tell me this information, and out of all the suggestions yours is the one that makes sense to me and the one i'm really considering purchasing into thank you!
Quote by Shogun_23
Thank you very much! I think Lick libary has more to offer than the rock house imo! Andy James is amazing and i'm glad you told me about that i think i would benefit from "metal soloing in 6 weeks" and the licks by pretty much my main influences as with every musician is awesome! Thank you! I'm gonna see how long it would take to ship to the states and if they still sell the metal soloing by Andy James! Thank you i seriously appreciate you taking the time out of your day to tell me this information, and out of all the suggestions yours is the one that makes sense to me and the one i'm really considering purchasing into thank you!

Anytime dude.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea