Hey guys, so my band recently wrote a song and in the verse I use a chord progression in Am, I was wondering, would there be anything 'technically' wrong with using a riff (IE singular played notes rather than chords) in the chorus? So you'd basically have a open chord based verse, then a riff for the chorus? The riff is in Am pentatonic so it's not out of key or anything, I was just wondering what the theory is on switching from a chords based verse to singular notes in the chorus?

Many thanks!
My comment, if it sounds good, do it and don't worry about the theory. But, if ya really need to know, just take a look at the notes your playing and see which are in the scale, if you borrow notes from other scales ( major/minor etc.)

It also depends on what you want in the song, so I cant really give you any direction that way
Quote by controlledchaos
Hey guys, so my band recently wrote a song and in the verse I use a chord progression in Am, I was wondering, would there be anything 'technically' wrong with using a riff (IE singular played notes rather than chords) in the chorus? So you'd basically have a open chord based verse, then a riff for the chorus? The riff is in Am pentatonic so it's not out of key or anything, I was just wondering what the theory is on switching from a chords based verse to singular notes in the chorus?

Many thanks!

There is no theory regarding song structuring. It's completely up to you.
If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Rule #1 of songwriting: There are no ****in' rules.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.