Hey guys, I just got a new amp, a Blackstar HT Stage 60, and I tried a distortion pedal with it. I was wondering if using a distortion pedal can damage the amp at all, particularly if I use it on an overdrive channel that has its gain already set to 10. I tried it for a minute and was hoping I didn't do any permanent damage.
No.

It will however, sound shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by AndSteve
I use it on an overdrive channel that has its gain already set to 10.

Here's your problem.
Quote by Sputnik1
Here's your problem.

Well I don't really have a problem. I know it sounds awful, but I tried it anyway because OCD makes me try silly things. I just want to know if I did any permanent damage
Quote by AndSteve
Well I don't really have a problem. I know it sounds awful, but I tried it anyway because OCD makes me try silly things. I just want to know if I did any permanent damage

Then you do have a problem.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by AndSteve
Hey guys, I just got a new amp, a Blackstar HT Stage 60, and I tried a distortion pedal with it. I was wondering if using a distortion pedal can damage the amp at all, particularly if I use it on an overdrive channel that has its gain already set to 10. I tried it for a minute and was hoping I didn't do any permanent damage.

First of all, a Blackstar HT-60 doesn't need a distortion pedal, at all. Second of all, if you were going to run a distortion pedal for kicks, you'd run it through the clean channel. Seriously though, just use the HT-60's tube distortion because that amp jams and ditch the distortion pedal. There's also no need to dime your gain like that.
Quote by Eppicurt

Hah, but seriously, no amp damage right?
It would be an interesting experiment to see how many dist pedals you can add before the signal becomes unlistenable.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AndSteve

None at all mate

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The only thing you could ever possibly do is blow a speaker or a tube. But in reality, no. If you had the amp running on 10 through a speaker with a lower wattage rating or with tubes that weren't properly warmed up then turned the distortion and volume on the pedal on full and turned it on and hit a chord you run a chance of blowing something. I used to run my champ like this and blew it's original speaker and I'll occasionally blow a tube if I don't let it warm up enough.

tl;dr?
No.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Amaseng
First of all, a Blackstar HT-60 doesn't need a distortion pedal, at all. Second of all, if you were going to run a distortion pedal for kicks, you'd run it through the clean channel. Seriously though, just use the HT-60's tube distortion because that amp jams and ditch the distortion pedal. There's also no need to dime your gain like that.

It's an old pedal I had. Just trying it on the amp
Quote by AndSteve

Nothing what so ever. They wouldn't make them if it'd damage an amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
i saw the name of this thread and just had a picture in my head of a guy throwing a distortion pedal at an amp... a distortion pedal can damage an amp that way.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by AndSteve
I know it sounds awful, but I tried it anyway because OCD makes me try silly things.

Yeah, that ain't how OCD works. Don't try to excuse yourself. Stand up for your taste in... unconventional gain tones.
REGGIE
Quote by gumbilicious
i saw the name of this thread and just had a picture in my head of a guy throwing a distortion pedal at an amp... a distortion pedal can damage an amp that way.

Quote by LeakyFlask
Yeah, that ain't how OCD works. Don't try to excuse yourself. Stand up for your taste in... unconventional gain tones.

Cool, tell the dude who has had severe OCD his entire life that he doesn't know how it works.
Quote by AndSteve
Cool, tell the dude who has had severe OCD his entire life that he doesn't know how it works.

Quote by poppameth
It took me a minute to realize that the Fulltone OCD had actually not become part of this topic.

+1
Quote by poppameth
It took me a minute to realize that the Fulltone OCD had actually not become part of this topic.

...I thought he meant a Fulltone as well.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by AndSteve

Doubt you've had it your entire life. You usually notice it when you're like 10, or I guess slightly before. OCD can make you wash your hands until they bleed. OCD can make you perform pointless rituals over and over again. OCD can make you get stuck in your thoughts for hours. But OCD won't make you try a distortion pedal on an amp with gain set at 10. That's something else entirely. I realize you can't generalize like crazy and say all OCD is the same, but pretty much all OCD entails repetition of habits and thoughts and things like that. Not trying silly things once, that's something else.

EDIT: I guess it's not entirely impossible. I'd assume it might have something to do with a feeling of having to try every setting on all your pedals or something like that. It's just that completely random actions that haven't been performed and haven't become a habit before sounds like, well, not OCD.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by gumbilicious

As did I , my FIRST thought was "Yeah, if you throw it hard enough..."

But then I usually mentally answer the thread names with responses totally inappropriate to the actual thread. It's funnier that way...to me at least!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by LeakyFlask
Doubt you've had it your entire life. You usually notice it when you're like 10, or I guess slightly before. OCD can make you wash your hands until they bleed. OCD can make you perform pointless rituals over and over again. OCD can make you get stuck in your thoughts for hours. But OCD won't make you try a distortion pedal on an amp with gain set at 10. That's something else entirely. I realize you can't generalize like crazy and say all OCD is the same, but pretty much all OCD entails repetition of habits and thoughts and things like that. Not trying silly things once, that's something else.

EDIT: I guess it's not entirely impossible. I'd assume it might have something to do with a feeling of having to try every setting on all your pedals or something like that. It's just that completely random actions that haven't been performed and haven't become a habit before sounds like, well, not OCD.

You might want to read up on OCD, and then perhaps apologize...

OCD takes many forms, yours above is just the 'pop psychology' version.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Eppicurt

lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Arby911
As did I , my FIRST thought was "Yeah, if you throw it hard enough..."

But then I usually mentally answer the thread names with responses totally inappropriate to the actual thread. It's funnier that way...to me at least!

same here

also stop making fun of the guy with ocd (not you, the other peopl in the thread)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LeakyFlask

It's called obsessive compulsive disorder for many reasons... the obsessive part is often related to the inability to get particular thoughts out of your head. You and I can logically deduce that after we wash our hands, they are clean, and therefore we won't die from the germs on them. However, in SOME cases of OCD, the person will have a fear of germs, stemming from the fact that germs can kill you. They then obsess over these germs, and compulsively wash their hands, for fear that the previous washing did not get their hands clean enough.

However, other cases of OCD are more compulsive oriented. For example, a person thinks to themselves "hey, I wonder what would happen if I dimed my gain, and then threw a distortion pedal in front of that". They then compulsively would have to experiment to find the answer to the question, because if they don't figure out the answer, their brain won't let them drop it, and they'd wind up obsessing over it.

Also, people usually are born with OCD, but as children it's hard for them to express those thoughts, and it typically results in neurotic, tantrum-throwing behavior, because they either become afraid of things that they logically should not be, or simply frustrated at why people don't understand that they HAVE to do whatever it is they're doing that people are trying to get them to stop. For example, an OCD person might be afraid of thunderstorms (as many children are). However, an OCD five-year old doesn't understand why everyone else around them isn't gripped with the fear of dying, and they can't be distracted from the thunderstorm to calm them down.

tl:dr - OCD comes in many many many different variants, not all of which are debilitating, or result in repetitive behaviors.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Hmm, ok. I have the Blackstar HT-40, I run all of the pedals in my sig through it, and i'm wondering, if I turned them all on(it would sound shit I know) would it damage it? And just for kicks lets say everything is on max except for volume? Thoughts?
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
it shouldn't damage anything... for the most part, pedals just change the quality of the sound waves, they aren't going to increase the voltage going through the guitar cable into the amp to such an extent that it would damage anything.

A possible exception might be the whammy... depending on the volume, dropping the frequencies to super low pitches could damage the speaker...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Last edited by Musicman48858 at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by Musicman48858
You and I can logically deduce that after we wash our hands, they are clean, and therefore we won't die from the germs on them. However, in SOME cases of OCD, the person will have a fear of germs, stemming from the fact that germs can kill you.

Good post, though I have to say that even with OCD, there is usually no problem in thinking logically. I mean, you know, intellectually, there is nothing wrong with this dinner plate for example, but you still can't get past that feeling.

Also, this is probably the time I should explicitly state that I'm mainly messing with the TS and that I take medications for severe OCD. (Not like really heavily medicating, 150mg sertralin each day. Not that it really says that much, since the amount of medication OCD sufferers need fluctuates a lot)

EDIT: To be honest, why I was being edgy in the first place was because it sounded like TS was just blaming the distortion decision on his OCD so that people wouldn't start talking about poor taste. You know, like people who blame their dick moves on being 'aspies'.

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and not continue this discussion. Anways, half-sarcasm and such doesn't always translate well over the internet. Whatever the case with the OCD, I mean no harm TS. I know to some degree what it's like. My OCD has in recent years figured a lot more in my mind than in my actions.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by Musicman48858
it shouldn't damage anything... for the most part, pedals just change the quality of the sound waves, they aren't going to increase the voltage going through the guitar cable into the amp to such an extent that it would damage anything.

A possible exception might be the whammy... depending on the volume, dropping the frequencies to super low pitches could damage the speaker...

Thanks, i've always wondered if I was doing any damage, and the lowest pitch I use is an octave down. So hopefully that isn't so low as to cos any damage.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
Dual Rec vs. 5150 go.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by bubb_tubbs
It would be an interesting experiment to see how many dist pedals you can add before the signal becomes unlistenable.

1 if its an MT-2.
u realize that the blackstar HT series has that special feature one you turn everything to max right?

it goes full tubez instead of shitty digital pre-amp and slash appears right next to you to dial in his tone. its really good, idk why they dont advertise it as much as they should.

turn on all your pedals, come back with results. its a lot faster then wasting peoples time with this thread -_-
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by CodeMonk
1 if its an MT-2.

lulz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about the zvex SHO ? The product description says output can be over 8v. Is it risky?