Page 1 of 2
Anyone know of good over the ear headphones for general use? I was looking at some skullcandy headphones but I keep getting mixed reviews on all the models. Anyone know if the skullcandy aviator headphones are worth the 150 dollar pricetag (what about at $110)? I don't really know of any other headphone companies so all suggestions are welcome. My limit is around $100 (I would love not to go to 150 but let me know if they are worth it) and any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
For the love of god don't get skullcandys. Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH M50's, I bought them recently and they're fantastic
Do not get Skullcandy. Your cochlear nerve will thank you.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Have a look at some Sennheisers. Skullcandys are pretty flimsy, uncomfortable and really aren't worth the jacked up prices.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I've used a pair of Skullcandys and they didn't even feel nice. They're a complete rip off. I use Bose noise cancelling things, they were a gift, so I'm not sure how much they cost.

Have a look at some Sennheisers

I would back this. I had some Sennheiser in-ear headphones and they were great, I broke them by stepping on them, though.. Try not to do that.
Skullcandys basically add on a shitload to the price because they look pretty. I can vouch for Sennheiser
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by guitaristren
Sennheiser's low-end products are just as flimsy Skullcandy.

Bastard! You stole Waterboy's avatar!

Quote by Paddy McK
Skullcandys basically add on a shitload to the price because they look pretty. I can vouch for Sennheiser

They do have good sound quality and decent durability.

Just get a pair of beats by Dr.Dre. They are amazing and pricey...
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Skullcandy's are worth £30 at most. Overpriced pieces of shit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by moscaespañol
Bastard! You stole Waterboy's avatar!

I had this for a while now. And I cropped it out of the original El Dorado gif.
Quote by Nameless742

I guarantee you any Beats product, a Sennheiser/AKG product of similar price will piss all over it.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Sony MDR's are pretty nice.
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma.

Quote by one vision
Why not chromatics? Chromatic harmony was the "new thing" in the romantic era.
Quote by BassFishin
Problem:
Fish isn't meat.
Quote by CodeMonk
Pics or its a DS-1
Quote by Twistedrock
I guarantee you any Beats product, a Sennheiser/AKG product of similar price will piss all over it.

I tested some Beats headphones in Selfridges, and I thought my Boses were nicer. I think they've just used Dre's name to boost their profile, and add a premium to the price.
Really guys. . Skullcandy's are indeed over priced, but they arent crappy head phones either.

Beats and Sienhiessers are both nice, but also way over priced. They do sound quite a bit nicer, but is that worth the extra 150 - 200 bucks? Nope, I'll either take a $40 pair of skullcandys, or a $20 pair of over the ear studio headphones from my local retail outlet before I go to Best Buy or Guitar center and spend 300 on a pair of headphones.

Not only that, but no headphones last forever. The cords are almost always prone to short out after heavy use, just like guitar cables.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by BenRaah
For the love of god don't get skullcandys. Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH M50's, I bought them recently and they're fantastic

I can vouch for this, the M50's sound great
Quote by Nameless742

Skullcandy headphones are about as durable as a charmander in pewter city's gym.
Go with AKG, I downgraded to the Sennheiser HD550's and I can't stand them. Sennheisers are super flimsy, super ugly, and they don't really sound all that great. Try these: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K271MKII-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326328853&sr=1-3
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Skullcandy headphones are about as durable as a charmander in pewter city's gym.

Flawless, simply flawless.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by imcrazy814
Go with AKG, I downgraded to the Sennheiser HD550's and I can't stand them. Sennheisers are super flimsy, super ugly, and they don't really sound all that great. Try these: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K271MKII-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326328853&sr=1-3

Zzounds have $99 sennheiser HD 280 pros, they make my ears cum, superb and inexpensive.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Epic.

Also, whoever said the wires on headphones run out: My headphones have the wire separately, and it's only about 5 quid to replace
Quote by Vypor
Really guys. . Skullcandy's are indeed over priced, but they arent crappy head phones either.

Beats and Sienhiessers are both nice, but also way over priced. They do sound quite a bit nicer, but is that worth the extra 150 - 200 bucks? Nope, I'll either take a $40 pair of skullcandys, or a $20 pair of over the ear studio headphones from my local retail outlet before I go to Best Buy or Guitar center and spend 300 on a pair of headphones.

Not only that, but no headphones last forever. The cords are almost always prone to short out after heavy use, just like guitar cables.

Never take advice from somebody who spells Sennheisers that way lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Actually they are well built but I appreciate the simile.
If you want a decent CHEAP pair I would recommend some Sony In-ear headphones, they are relatively durable for the price.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Hey, thanks for all the great feedback so far. I've been looking up some of the headphones and so I've found these prices. Which seems like the best deal for the quality? Thanks for all the help.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones for $63 (with Gift card -38)
Sennheiser HD448 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone for $75 (with Gift card -$50)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for $132 (with Gift card -$107)
AKG K271MKII Closed Back Circumaural Headphones for $125(with Gift card -$100)

Edit: Sennheiser - Over-the-Ear Headphones - Stealth Black for $40 (which would end up being free since I have a giftcard for the store I'd get them from)
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at Jan 11, 2012,
all of my skull candy ear buds have broke, and two different over the top headphones have broke. what hasnt broke? my SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO headphones i got for christmas for $99! theyre amazing, first thing i did was listen to weightless, that bass! then i listened to scatta, omfg that bass! then i listened to colours and had to change my pants twice, viridian...that mutherfukkin bass!
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-280-Headphones-Cancellation/dp/B000065BPB

Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. That's Amazon Canada, not sure how much they would cost in the US (probably much less, I got them for $110 CAD at a musical instrument store). You look kinda silly wearing them, but the sound quality is incredible, they feel extremely durable and they're made of a few separable pieces so they can be replaced individually if they break (pretty sure there's a 2 year manufacturer warranty).

Edit: ^ what he said
Last edited by joemama9119 at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
all of my skull candy ear buds have broke, and two different over the top headphones have broke. what hasnt broke? my SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO headphones i got for christmas for $99! theyre amazing, first thing i did was listen to weightless, that bass! then i listened to scatta, omfg that bass! then i listened to colours and had to change my pants twice, viridian...that mutherfukkin bass!

What is your avatar?

Quote by BenRaah

Yeah this. For that much money, its worth it to do some research. Buy the m50s. http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50s
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Quote by moscaespañol
What is your avatar?

Why are you so obessed with people's avatars?
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by BenRaah
Omar Rodriguez Lopez and John Frusciante album cover

I thought it was an odd looking man with a red hat >_>
Quote by BenRaah
can't unsee

nah, it's this:

Now I can't unsee,...I miss the little guy
Quote by Duffman123
I thought it was an odd looking man with a red hat >_>

Quote by Blackwaterson89

Why are you so obessed with people's avatars?

I was just curious. When else have I asked about someone's avatar?

you can replace to beats cable, as it is a normal 1/8" cable. They sound great if you like the deep bass. I also have pair of Bose which are great, but i prefer the deep bass and the feel of the Beats over them
Page 1 of 2