Hey, basically the same question as the title what is the best Marshall head for around $1000 AUD. I play thrash metal, hardcore punk and really heavy doom metal but also like a good clean tone. What should i be looking at out of the Marshall range. Also any alternative amps brands and models? Thanks.
None, you should be looking at used JCM 800s or DSLs.

Or you could just buy a Peavey 5150/6505, but it probably wouldn't do doom too well. Or maybe it would, but not if you want a britishy kinda doom sound.
You could probably find a used DSL 2000 for around that price (also acknowledging the price of gear in Australia). Just avoid Marshalls lower end stuff (MG, AVT).
Look for a DSL. I have a DSL 100 and I love it. I also have a friend who has a DSL 40 and Its a great tube combo.
I would avoid the DSL personally. It's fizzy and harsh and not your typical Marshall sound, if that's what you're looking for. Look for a JCM-800 or 900 ideally if you're set on Marshall, if not there are a lot of other options out there which'll probably be listed.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Was going to hop in here and say used 2203 or Vintage Modern 2466, but AUD? No idea there.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Blackheart Bh100, it's a beast of an amp. I have a video of it lying around if you want to hear some sounds.
Quote by Ghold125
Blackheart Bh100, it's a beast of an amp. I have a video of it lying around if you want to hear some sounds.

I do

I have a Blackheart but it has 99 less watts

Also check out a Bugera 1990 or maybe an Egnater or Bugera V22
Quote by iamthebreadfan
Is their anything like a jcm 800/900 but from other amp companies that is a bit cheaper?

Peavey Windsor.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Windsor has basically no usable cleans though, even with guitar volume rolloff.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Got a question what's the difference between a jcm 800/900 combo and halfstack. I know that a combo is a bit cheaper. Do they still have the same sound?
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Lol that's no good for me thanks for letting me know.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

True, but neither does the 800 really IMO.

IAMTHEBREADFAN

The combos are a lower wattage. The sound will be similar but not exact.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Damn. So i need something like a jcm 800/900 but with 2 channels/foot switch so i can switch to clean. I'm getting a pretty good idea of what i want.
I got my Splawn Pro Stock for $800, and it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.
Quote by iamthebreadfan
Damn. So i need something like a jcm 800/900 but with 2 channels/foot switch so i can switch to clean. I'm getting a pretty good idea of what i want.

Maybe try the JCM 2000?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
True, but neither does the 800 really IMO.

Lies - I've owned 3.

Quote by lordy88
I got my Splawn Pro Stock for $800, and it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

a used splawn is probably the best answer here.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
a used splawn is probably the best answer here.

Australia

Maybe not...

See if you can find a Laney GH50L/GH100L or VH100R, or maybe a Laney AOR. The AOR's been used for all those styles of music as far as I know; Matt Pike of Sleep has used one at one point, at least.

The Blackheart Hot Head will do very well also.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I would avoid the DSL personally. It's fizzy and harsh and not your typical Marshall sound, if that's what you're looking for. Look for a JCM-800 or 900 ideally if you're set on Marshall, if not there are a lot of other options out there which'll probably be listed.

A DSL is fizzy compared to a JCM900? Unless you are talking about an SL/X I'd check yourself into rehab - or at least bring enough drugs for the rest of us.

A DSL is probably your best bet in Australia but a JCM900 is what you will most likely be able to score for the money. The JCM900 can be fixed with some mods (you have to cut a track and add a resistor to replace the clipping circuit on channel 2) but even unmodded it will do the trick. JCM900's haven't held their price very well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta
Maybe not...

shit, forgot the australia part.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by iamthebreadfan
Is their anything like a jcm 800/900 but from other amp companies that is a bit cheaper?

Well,before Marshall got on board the modding 800's band wagon with JCM 900,Laney made their own amp that is roughly a modded 800 called the AOR.
They are not fantastically versatile,and have been relegated to the cheap bin,where Matt Pike started using them for Sleep,and given the influence of Sleep,it's not suprising that more than a few doom bands started using them.I scored my 50 watter for around $400 AUD.Very unique distortion characteristics,but rather than being a twin channel amp,it's twin input,with a switchable boost.If you can handle your cleans pretty well driven,they're a bargain,and would leave plenty of money for a decent cab.
Used JCM 900's can go for about $1000 AUD with a cab,so check ebay,and you should find one.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The AOR is a great call if you ask me. Maybe even a used Laney GH100 or VH100R.

Thomann.de have very reasonable shopping to Oz, so have a good look through their site - they carry a much wider variety than most Aussie stockists.
You'd have to be mighty lucky to get a GH or VH within pricerange. An AOR would be a good choice but don't be surprised if you have to replace the valve sockets. Other than that they are pretty solid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification