Page 1 of 5
Hey guys,

this is my first build for Unlimited. (im hoping to get another in) Its i sick shape and i hope ill be able to do it. It is my own design and im proud of it. If not then tough luck 4 me. here's the CARDBOARD template on ply wood:

Crazy. . . Maybe. Epic. . . Definatly!

After cut out:

This is my template so far. just got to get the pickups routed out.

Some specs:

Custom Body
24 Fret Neck
6 Strings (i was thinking of doing 7 but to costly )
1 Volume
1 Tone
5 Way Lever Switch
Fixed Bridge
(all black hardware)
Brown and Yellow Dye, or maybe something else, just throwing that out there)

and best of all

3 Humbuckers

Thats all for Now!

BTW

Started: 1/10/12
Ended: (In Progress)

Template: Done
Body Wood: Done
Body Rough Cut: Done
Body Cut: Done
Glue Together: Done
Neck Pocket: Done
Pickup Cavities: Done
Carving: Done
Neck: In Process
Finish: Not Done
Electronics: Not Done

Oh, and a little late:

i hope thats what you mean by materials
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Mar 28, 2012,
But that wood will be replaced by pickups. Not really losing much weight there.
^ The only real areas you need to watch are the points at which you touch the guitar (ie. where your knee and arm make contact) - looks fine to me!

Also JCG, make sure you post a pic of your raw materials with the cover page filled out before you start cutting it out for reals.
Make sure you spend a lot of time sanding that template so theres no bumps or high spots, it will save you a huge amount of time in sanding the body once it's routed

Chur
Quote by michaelbot9000
i would spend a little more time designing your guitars.. this looks really awkward.. good luck though

Well it did take a while to make this and so far im proud of it.

Quote by Boysie8

Also JCG, make sure you post a pic of your raw materials with the cover page filled out before you start cutting it out for reals.

as in wood and hardware? ill was planning to buy those as i go.

Quote by Lightbluemk2
Make sure you spend a lot of time sanding that template so theres no bumps or high spots, it will save you a huge amount of time in sanding the body once it's routed

Yes i will. as i said im not done with it yet.
where will your straplocks/buttons be?, the upper horn looks not that sturdy,
im looking forward to see if you can pull this of
is it ok if i do it as i go? i dodn't have all the money on me now.

Quote by Leon987

ill have to see. i have thought of it but not 100% sure where yet
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by User_Name336
i can definitely see why you're calling it the squid

but unless you chamber that body, it'll be heavy as all hell...
just something to keep in mind

Heavy? looks like less than a pound with such thin wood as that. I would be more worried about the bridge pulling off. <grin>

I think its a cool shape.
Quote by Leon987

for the strap lock button, put in a 4 inch screw. (drill first, of course)
Quote by RebuildIt
Heavy? looks like less than a pound with such thin wood as that. I would be more worried about the bridge pulling off. <grin>

I think its a cool shape.

thats just the template. XP

templates. . . yes i believe they will!
Quote by JCGGUITARS
well im planning ahead (wahoo!) and im looking at some pickups. Since im doing 3 Humbuckers and a five way switch, do the pickups have to have more than 2 wires coming from it?

5 way with two conductor pickups...

Bridge
Bridge+middle
Middle
Middle+neck
Neck
You don't really need 4 conductor cables unless you are planning to or have an idea to do some crazy wiring, then any pickup with 2 wire will be just ok for this project

Oh and i saw the design and for some reason this guitar came to my mind right away hahahaha. (the first one specially).

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/mana/index.html

And if you are doing humbuckers as already stated try better off with 500k or 1m pots, 250k is going to work but it's not going to have that full humbucker sound you are looking for :P

And if you are going so crazy on the shape, don't go hardtail hehehe, put on a trem or a floyd or something fancy in there. :P
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Boysie8
That's some nice looking wood. I'll reiterate now what we've been telling you in your other build thread: spend some time getting the templates right. Trust me, you're saving yourself a whole lot of work in the long run.

Plus one.

Do not wanna ruin very nice wood.
i know what u mean. i've only got a tiny bit more of this. . . probably not enough too do another guitar. I did start a rough cut but boy is this wood hard! *exagerating* i got an inch done in an hour!

im thinking of what stain to do. im doing the black thingy and wanted to do brown or red on top but my bro thinks i should do green. i guess that would be cool but what do you think. btw ill post sort of status on the second post.

EDIT: Well i havn't been able to do the router yet because the shank is too small.
so my Dad has to bring a different router home so ill get started on that possibly tonight. also i finished the rough cut for one peice of wood.
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Jan 17, 2012,
Well sort of an Update. I have some good news and bad news. good news first. almost got the first blank done and the top horn spike thingy fell off. im gonna leave that till im done with the second blank so ill glue it back on. ill post pics soon.

btw: remember, i need advise on the color scheme. thnx
HERES THE PICS!

the spot i cut off

and here's a part where the bearing kinda fell off so it went in a little

its ok cuz ill sand it so its flush.

im not 100% done with this one yet. a little this and that in the corners and obviously where i cut the horn off. XP

May the sanding games begin...

*insert jigsaw's face here* (too lazy to google one now >,<

Well so far it's looking good JC, looking forward to more updates from this build
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by JCGGUITARS
no kidding. well i still need to do another blank. man do i have to vacuum the house every time i use a router!!??

You can brush the floor, clean it with a broom when you use a router. When you use a desk band sander, there youll have to vacuum.

This is where I got empirical proof regarding Entropy theory. Man the dust gets to places you dont even imagine possible.
Quote by von Layzonfon
Green/white sunburst. Like this, only better.

Although you could go for it in a big way and actually paint tentacles on it.

O.o
Looking at the template it still looks like you didnt spend a lot of time sanding it?

Chur
Page 1 of 5