Page 2 of 5
ya it would, but what about purple with instead of black, yellow. hmm hmm

im starting to cut the second one out so updates soon. . . . . hopefully. . . .

EDIT: how easy is it to mix colors to make purple? i cant find any purple dye.
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Jan 24, 2012,
I tried purple once, and it was pretty easy. I never used it on a guitar, just some scrap. Wood stains are really easy to mix. Give it a shot in a small quantity and check it on some scrap.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
i new that! is the stewmac dyes good for that?

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you man. I'll see what it is I have in the workshop in the morning and report back about that. It seems like pretty good stuff
Sorry man, I totally forgot this morning!

Well the stuff I've got is:

Like I said, I've only used it on scrap, so I've never finished over it yet. The colours were great though. The Chestnut Products website says it can be intermixed easily, and you can use under most finishing products but care should be taken when using under solvent based finishes.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
those look really good! do you have any of the purple?

Nah, like I said, I just mixed some red and blue when I was playing with it.
How many peices is that body? Try to take off less per pass with the router to prevent that tear out
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by JCGGUITARS

Why are the two bits of wood not flat were they are going to be joint together? Or is it just the picture?
actually better then i expected, good job, okay have to admit the mistakes but its a hard shape so
It is an "interesting" body shape, not my sort of thing though. Also you still need to do a lot of work on those edges, they're still pretty wavy and that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
here's pics of the second test:

that slit is where i cut with the jig saw. i figured it will look a lot better with more grain so i wont worry about how dark it is. i did another test with green and yellow but this one looked better. i have the beltsander from my Dad so ill be fixing the chipped parts. if ur curious ill tell u what im doin. Im sanding where the chips are the gluing a piece on then cut and router again.

thats it for now so
How many applications of stain did you use? It looks like you used one dark black, then sanded back and went straight onto your green. If you want a good transition, you need to vary the concentrations of both and go easy on the sanding between.
Quote by -MintSauce-
How many applications of stain did you use? It looks like you used one dark black, then sanded back and went straight onto your green. If you want a good transition, you need to vary the concentrations of both and go easy on the sanding between.

this is my first time doing this so yes i did do that. how should i do it when i do it on the guitar. and all i had for sanding was a sanding belt. next time ill have an orbital sander
Quote by JCGGUITARS
this is my first time doing this so yes i did do that. how should i do it when i do it on the guitar. and all i had for sanding was a sanding belt. next time ill have an orbital sander

1. Dilute your green and black separately, so they're pretty light (10-20%).
2. Apply one coat of black,
3. Sand lightly by hand with 240+ grit,
4. Repeat 2-3 until you have a nice gradient of black running the depth of the flame
5. Do the same with your green, but don't sand after the final coat.
Quote by -MintSauce-
1. Dilute your green and black separately, so they're pretty light (10-20%).
2. Apply one coat of black,
3. Sand lightly by hand with 240+ grit,
4. Repeat 2-3 until you have a nice gradient of black running the depth of the flame
5. Do the same with your green, but don't sand after the final coat.

ill try probably in a few days or something. maybe not for a while. thanks tho
I'll be storing that one away too MintSauce, cheers. JCG, good plan with the chip repair but I would use the router instead of the belt sander. That way you get a nice square surface to glue your plug into - it's worked for me in the past. Just make sure you use a straight edge to guide the router, or you'll make it even worse.
Quote by Boysie8
I'll be storing that one away too MintSauce, cheers. JCG, good plan with the chip repair but I would use the router instead of the belt sander. That way you get a nice square surface to glue your plug into - it's worked for me in the past. Just make sure you use a straight edge to guide the router, or you'll make it even worse.

i was thinking that to but my dad seems to think this way will work easier. i cant argue with him since he has a lot more experiance.

EDIT: just finished the top horn (gluing) now for the bottom. . .
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Feb 7, 2012,
That's why you should have a plan.

Anyway. You could route some cavities in the back and then cover them over like faux control cavities. If you fill the gaps it shouldn't be noticeable under a painted finish. Or were you wanting to stain the whole lot?
Quote by von Layzonfon
That's why you should have a plan.

Anyway. You could route some cavities in the back and then cover them over like faux control cavities. If you fill the gaps it shouldn't be noticeable under a painted finish. Or were you wanting to stain the whole lot?

ya i guess i was rushing myself. im planning to do the front green and the back black. mabe ill do a big control cavity or something. i want to get the stewmac control plate and jig.
I got the neck pocket jig done. Before i rout it out i was wondering since there's the three humbuckers if i could just rout a long pocket for the humbuckers in stead of doing little spots.
Heres what i mean. as you see here:

that all the pickups are lined up. i want to rout a long cavity. can i do that since the pickup covers will cover it?
not really, because the pickup ears are the same size as the rings, so there wood be no material for the pickup ring screws to be put into.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.