Page 3 of 5
Quote by nowa90
not really, because the pickup ears are the same size as the rings, so there wood be no material for the pickup ring screws to be put into.

what if i did a straight line through and do the ears seperate. so just go straight along with the neck then do the ears seperate
Quote by JCGGUITARS
what if i did a straight line through and do the ears seperate. so just go straight along with the neck then do the ears seperate

Technicall yes, but I'd recommend doing 3 seperate routs. If you're using plastic pickup rings, then you'll find when you come to fitting them that the edges aren't always perfectly straight, and you'll be left with small gaps between them. If you're making wooden pickup rings yourself, then it all depends on how straight you think you can make them I guess.

Either way you're more likely to get better results, with less work, if you just do 3 seperate routs. There's my two pennies.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
Finished the pickup cavities. ill post pics later. .

Looking forward to them
Y U NO POST PICS?!
The gutiar comes alive once the pickups are routed - just check my prs build.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
Y U NO POST PICS?!
The gutiar comes alive once the pickups are routed - just check my prs build.

ive been at a speech tournament yesterday and today allday and ill be there tomorrow and saturday so i might not have em up until monday or so. . .
Looks like the kinda thing that steve vai would play while standing on the ocean floor with huge school of trippy colored fish swimming around him..

fucking awesome
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by -MintSauce-
1. Rasp,
2. Dremel,
3. Sandpaper on a firm tube?

1. dont have

2. have but too big (the attachment)

3. i could try but im not sure if i have a firm tube that small.

anyway, i was thinking i could do the outside and just sand the corners of the inside so it's not sharp. iv'e done that so far and i think it looks good. ill post pics when i get around to it to see what you guys think.

Thanks!
use a huge dowel, rasp, package from superglue, drill bit, etc.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
1. dont have

2. have but too big (the attachment)

3. i could try but im not sure if i have a firm tube that small.

anyway, i was thinking i could do the outside and just sand the corners of the inside so it's not sharp. iv'e done that so far and i think it looks good. ill post pics when i get around to it to see what you guys think.

Thanks!

You should definitely get a cheap rasp set sometime. Rasps are pretty much essential when it comes to neck shaping, and entry-level sets really are CHEAP.
I bought mine for 7.50 CAD and its rough, half round one side, single cut flat the other. All you need.
Another Bump!

Here's some pics of how it is currently:

Im not 100% done yet but it's more done that started. as you can tell its just the slightest carve. . . which is how i like it. I have some sanding to do on the edges also. btw it looks better in real life than it does in the pics. for the back of the guitar i'm debating weather to just sand it down so it feels good or go over it with a router bit. what do you guys think?

honestly, sand the sides properly before you use the roundover bits.
Quote by nowa90
honestly, sand the sides properly before you use the roundover bits.

+1. Any irregularities along the edges will be reproduced with the roundover if you leave them like that. I had tons of sanding to do on my build's edges before the roundover, and that was a simple shape compared to this...
Here's some progress on the control cavity:

i used the stewmac template for this. so on the outer part im using this:

with a template i made underneath. here's the cover:

I need to get started on the neck soon but for the body i will get the switch to saw the slot for it then will do some final sanding and edges. i probably forgot to sya something but if i remember i will post.

ahah dude whats with you(r router) and not being able to hold a line?
You're a LONG way away from worrying about the electronics dude.

You've got a ridiculous amount of sanding ahead of you man. All those curves and tight loops... I don't enve you for having to tackle that job. Maybe maple wasn't the best choice. A softer basswood body would have been a better choice for a intricate design like that, unless of course you specifically wanted that very bright tone of maple. If I were you I'd try to smooth the curves and get most of the contours done with a handheld rough grit drum sander. Then get it smooth by hand. Then finishing... read Reranch.

-Tony