Page 4 of 5
hey man. i have been watching for a while and i think its is shaping up pretty well, however if you dont even out all the edges and make sure everything is smooth when you go to finish it all those bumps and things will stand out.
Quote by kiaba94
hey man. i have been watching for a while and i think its is shaping up pretty well, however if you dont even out all the edges and make sure everything is smooth when you go to finish it all those bumps and things will stand out.

*sigh* i know i did use the orbital sander on Saturday and is pretty smooth at the moment but not all ready to be finished
Why did you not just sand your template smooth in the first place? Then when you routed the outside of the body with the template, it would be smooth. A plywood/MDF template is a lot easier to sand smooth then a half inch piece of maple.
Quote by da_
Why did you not just sand your template smooth in the first place? Then when you routed the outside of the body with the template, it would be smooth. A plywood/MDF template is a lot easier to sand smooth then a half inch piece of maple.

i did use plywood. and yes i know i should have. but not all of it is my fault. the bearing went into some of the plywood while routering. but yes i get your point and will do that the next time
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Mar 20, 2012,
well do it again toddamnit, it'll save you so much time and frustration to do that.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
why are you making this so complicated? Make your template perfect, then sand it for another 20 minutes. Clamp it back on, then go over it all with your template router bit.
Quote by nowa90
why are you making this so complicated? Make your template perfect, then sand it for another 20 minutes. Clamp it back on, then go over it all with your template router bit.

ill try because since the top is carved it might not be as perfect. plus i puddied the mounting holes but ill give it a try.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
i did use plywood. and yes i know i should have. but not all of it is my fault. the bearing went into some of the plywood while routering. but yes i get your point and will do that the next time

If you're having issues, make sure that you take shallow passes, work in the correct direction and use a sharp cutter. I've only had this happen when breaking those rules. Trying to take too much off will cause the router to tug, chip your wood, and burn. Working in the wrong direction will make it kick, and a blunt cutter increases the risk of kicking and burning.
Don't take off more then a 1/4 inch at a time, and if theres more material then that to remove use it to learn which way the router likes to be used. Also don't take more then 1/2 an inch per pass, so if you do have tearout it'll be contained to that amount.
to follow up on what Mint said regarding routing direction, look at the below link by jack wells. Although this is a for a Tele, the principle is the same.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/268116-very-frustrated-my-routing.html

Also, as everyone has told you, you have a ton of sanding to do on the edges, maybe several hours if you don't have access to a spindle sander. To avoid rushing through this process and having your finish look like ass, every time you pick up this project, spend 5-10 minutes just sanding the edges. Get some 80 grit sandpaper and wrap it around some long sockets if you have them.

I have a project that I am about to take apart because I rushed making it. It was my first neck and I wanted to see how it turned out. Since I rushed, it is too thick and too wide. Since it is a neck thru, fixing it will be a pain in the ass. A little more work when I was making it would have saved a lot of work this summer.
well i fixed a lot of those bumps and did some more sanding. also got the switch and pots. the slot for the switch isn't done yet but here's a mock up. NOTE: those are not the pickups i am using. those are some i have on hand.

turn your head

looks great from my point of view. also am working on the back carve and belly cut.

it will depending on your bridge size/preference.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
what do you mean?

F spaced pickups have a wider string spread. If you're using a tune-o-matic then F spaced is probably not advisable.

Those covers will probably fit but you won't get the right look by covering those specific pickups. Since they have the flush allen key pole pieces it won't give the same effect. You want a more traditional looking pickup hat has slugs on one side and screws on the other.
Quote by inkandlead
F spaced pickups have a wider string spread. If you're using a tune-o-matic then F spaced is probably not advisable.

Those covers will probably fit but you won't get the right look by covering those specific pickups. Since they have the flush allen key pole pieces it won't give the same effect. You want a more traditional looking pickup hat has slugs on one side and screws on the other.

would they fit the humbucker set? i could just leave the Dimarzio without it.

Quote by LeviMan_2001
It still looks bumpy to me! But that said, you're getting there. Don't stop now because you can make it awesome!

ikr. i will hopefully be at my Dad's shop Saturday so i can sand it down with the orbital sander. i'll start the belly cut today.

EDIT: i'm still looking at pickups and i was wondering if i could use a neck or bridge pickup in the middle section.
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Mar 29, 2012,
Looks rough are you going to keep sanding?

(think LP build)
I wouldnt do so much at the same time, if you focus on one at a time, the final product will be better IMO
Those are the same pickups in my custom guitar., which has an ash body and so the tone is ballsy, yet clear.
Nice choice of pickups, I like medium output pickups too. This should sound pretty bright and crisp when it's all done.

-Tony
Quote by ExDementia
I'm not an expert by any means, but isn't it a little early in the build to start staining it?

Also, kudos for tackling such a big project.

truth is , yes it is but since it is such a big project, i just want it done
Those are the same pickups I had put into the first custom I had Casper Guitar Technologies build for me. It is my 'choice' guitar for harder and heavier stuff... with the solid swamp ash body, it cuts very well in the mix, even with a lot of distortion. And the pickups compliment each other rather well.