I want to upgrade the tuners on my project Squier Bullet Strat. They slip a bit after playing for awhile (mainly when I play with lots of bends) and tuning them is finicky as you can do a 1/4 turn and never hear the pitch change or other times you hardly move the peg's head (seemingly) and the note will jump all the way from flat to sharp (for example), and others it will be fine, so it's very inconsistent.

So I need a good set of tuners and my only requirements are the inline 6 configuration for strats, and they need to be black as all my other hardware is black.

If anyone could recommend/rate a few sets in different price ranges that would be awesome. Cheaper priced would be better only because this project is mainly to practice modding, it's not intended to be a gig/recording guitar, so it doesn't need top shelf parts, it just needs to let me practice installing said parts lol. However, if it sounds/plays good I'll gig/record with it, so I don't wanna just do the "buy eBay parts from Hong Kong at a 90% discount" thing as I do want a decent guitar as my end result. If it sucks I want it to suck because I screwed up in the learning process, not because I used terrible parts.

I've seen sets as high as $80 and as low as $10 (Hong Kong) so that's a pretty big range, I'm looking for a good balance in price/quality.
Never used any but GFS parts are supposed to be good quality and not too expensive. Also, modded Squiers for the ****ing win. I have an Affinity Strat with an Irongear Hot Slag in it and it does indeed scream like a Hot Slag!
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

you might want to upgrade the nut to something like graphtech while you are at it. that'll help with tuning stability
Gotoh makes good stuff. My HM Strat has gotoh tuners, even without the locks tightened at the nut it stays in tune very well. Most super strats or made in japan guitars use Gotoh parts.

They're pretty affordable too.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Twistedrock
Never used any but GFS parts are supposed to be good quality and not too expensive. Also, modded Squiers for the ****ing win. I have an Affinity Strat with an Irongear Hot Slag in it and it does indeed scream like a Hot Slag!

Hell yeah dude. My project is a 20th Anniversay edition Bullet. It's single HB and volume knob only, no tones and no selector. It's getting a Seymour Duncan JB, a Fender S-1 500k push/push pot (same as push/pull it just doesn't pull up, you actually push in the top of the knob, where it says volume or tone), coil splitting the JB, a killswitch (momentary switch so it's a tap button activation instead of toggle switch style like a LP), upgraded output jack, copper shielding tape, and new tuners.

Quote by gman128
you might want to upgrade the nut to something like graphtech while you are at it. that'll help with tuning stability

....And I guess a graphite nut now too lol.

Questions about the nut then. I know nothing about them, I wasn't even thinking about those when deciding on parts to upgrade.

Are there different sizes and if so, what do the different sizes do? Like do they change tone characteristics or do they coincide with string gauges at all? Which size would I want on my strat?

Is it something a luthier should do? This project is for me to learn things on, but things that arent gonna destroy my guitar if I mess em up lol. Wiring can be changed, holes can be filled, bodies can be refinished, but as a complete modding beginner I wasn't planning on doing any sort of neck work (aside from tuners, but that's different). I want to keep this 100% made by me so I don't want to have to give it to a shop to do for me.