Say you have a 5-piece band, and you only need 3 or 4 parts to be played for a specific cover. I guess you can double up on an instrument or be creative. But let's say you don't want to add anything that doesn't need to be added. Standing there and looking stupid is probably out of the question
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Octaves, play different voicings of the same chords or harmonise parts
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Well simply speaking, learn how to use your instruments to complement others. If you've been relying on tabs completely, I can understand that you would have no experience writing your own parts. Well time has come to actually create music rather than recite memorised patterns.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by bingeandletgo
Say you have a 5-piece band, and you only need 3 or 4 parts to be played for a specific cover. I guess you can double up on an instrument or be creative. But let's say you don't want to add anything that doesn't need to be added. Standing there and looking stupid is probably out of the question

My question would be are you covering, or imitating?

If it's covering, take a little "Artistic License" and make it your own... Playing "Enter Sandman” just like Metallica did it, for example, ... well... Metallica already did it that way...

Keep enough of it so that people recognize it, but make it different enough so that people will talk about how YOU did it...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Well yes, I'll of course try to write something to complement, but I'd rather keep it the same if it doesn't sound right.

My specific problem is this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-77j0Qw41s&feature=related

We have a keyboardist in our band, but after some experimenting, every band member agrees that it just sounds a little strange with keyboard included (despite the song having a keyboard, it just doesn't seem to work for us). In this case, keeping the arrangement without a keyboard would be much better for all of us. So that leaves us with either him just standing around, or leaving the stage.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Jan 11, 2012,
If you want to play it exactly like the original, I'd pick songs that only have Keyboard, or kick the keyboard player.

Otherwise figure out a part for the keyboard that everyone's happy with.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud