Hey guys,

Just picked up a BF-2 flanger, green label model MIJ from a dude for $40...i know, awesome huh?

Well when i plugged the puppy in it sounds quite dead, definetly not the flangy noises its supposed to have.

So, what should i do, repair it? try and re-sell?
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
since when is paying $40 for something broken awesome?

open it up, look at component and lead connection to see if there is anything look. check for any fried stuff. other than that, sorry bud.
I assume you've tried a different battery?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
I assume you've tried a different battery?

ran with new battery and an AC adapter
Guitars:
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
I would open it up just to see if there are any obvious mods to the circuit (really messy wiring, messy solder joints, anything that doesn't look like it came out of a factory - I know BOSS quality isn't always the greatest/boutique level, but you know what I mean) and compare it to online images of the circuit (http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/boss-bf2-flanger.php) to see if there are any variations to it. If you spot something fishy and you're handy with a soldering iron, it could be an easy and cheap fix (check for cold solder joints or solder "bridges," faulty caps, or maybe one of the ICs has been swapped and damaged in the process?). You might be able to get it fixed at a shop but it might be more expensive; selling it could be an option, but let the person know that it's not working right =) personally, I would try to fix it myself... maybe if you post pics of the inside we can help a bit more?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
yeah, everything looks pretty good. Im uploading some decent res pics so someone can have a look atm.
Guitars:
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Guitars:
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
What a coincidence! I just sold a defunct BF-2 to an unsuspecting kid!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What a coincidence! I just sold a defunct BF-2 to an unsuspecting kid!

mojostompboxes.com
thanks for the constructive comments
Guitars:
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Quote by Josh2k69
thanks for the awesome comments

fixed.
mojostompboxes.com
Hmm... so those 3 white trimpots... I wonder if one of the previous owners messed with them and and didn't set them up appropriately... I don't know how familiar you are with trimpots in pedals, so stop me if I'm over-explaining, but the trimpots are usually set up from the factory and shouldn't be touched unless you know what you're doing... in distortions/overdrives/boosters, the trimpots are usually used to bias the pedal to the amp so that you can optimize the pedal's sound with any decent amp. In modulation-type pedals, trimpots are a little trickier because there's usually a few and they influence each other. Based on your description of the pedal working but not sounding like it's supposed to, I'm willing to bet the trimpots are just set poorly.

The hobby site link I mentioned in my other post has an adjustment procedure to adjust these trimpots, although they require an oscilloscope (you might be able to get away without the oscilloscope if you just want a sound that'll work with your amp and not necessarily the factory settings):

Adjustment procedure:
1.) Clock frequency adjustment:
Set MANUAL and DEPTH knobs to full counterclockwise. Connect an oscilloscope to TP-1 test point. Adjust VR7 for T=25us (40kHz). Rotate the MANUAL knob fully clockwise. T should be 2uS +/-20%.
2.) BBD bias:
Set DEPTH and RES. knobs full counterclockwise. Feed a 200Hz, sine wave, 0dBm signal into the INPUT jack. Connect the oscilloscope to Q3's emitter. While turning MANUAL across its entire rotation range, set VR6 for a clip-free waveform at the peaks.
3.) Resonance:
Set MANUAL, DEPTH knobs full counterclockwise and RES. knob full clockwise. Plug short circuit into INPUT jack. Connect OUTPUT jack to an amplifier and speaker. While touching a screwdriver to TP-2, set VR5 to the point where oscillation begins.

*Note: the trimpots are labeled on the site's diagram as VR5 Resonance, VR6 Bias, and VR7 Clock

Before you decide to get rid of it or take it to a tech, you should probably try messing around with the trimpots (considering that it's "broken." On a properly working, pedal I would advise against adjusting the trimpots unless you know what you're doing... I mess with my boosts but not my delay because it has 4 different trimpots lol). Just set the pedal according to the instructions and use a mini-screwdriver (common in eyeglass repair kits) to tweak the trimpots, changing one variable at a time. Ideally you'd want to use the precision instruments they mentioned to measure the oscillation and whatnot, but if you have a good ear for setting up pedals and patience to play around with different settings, you can probably get something that'll work for you; it's the same as tweaking the knobs on the outside of the pedal - these are just more sensitive. If setting it up by those instructions doesn't work, try setting all the trimpots the same way, somewhere in the middle range, and tweak one trimpot at a time, up and down, increasing and decreasing resistance and observing how it affects the sound, and try to set it up from that - treat it like a science project lol. Worse case scenario, you'll have to take it to a tech with an oscilloscope to set it up to factory settings. Good luck man... let me know how things turn out =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Jan 12, 2012,