Poll: Melody or lyrics? If you do both vote which you do more.
Poll Options
View poll results: Melody or lyrics? If you do both vote which you do more.
lyrics then melody
12 29%
melody then lyrics
30 71%
Voters: 42.
This thread regards music but I'm not really sure what category it falls in available forums.

I'm trying to get a rough idea about peoples take on this.

Do you (you, personally) write lyrics first and then form them into the melody that works with a song? Or do you come up with some melody and work in lyrics later?
If you do write lyrics later It's pretty safe to say you "lalalaaaa, badummdadadadum" your way before you fit in lyrics right? Anyways, I'm just curious.

Also can anyone try and decipher what exactly maynard is saying at 0:53 and at 1:54. At first I thought he was just saying badalala-ing, but then I started hearing words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hWNRGlJHg

(hyperlink button failing on me)

"Elbow deep inside the borderline... distance calling _________ we belong together... __________ awayyyyy"
I usually find a chord progression I like, and a general idea of what the song's about pops up in my head. Then I try to sing a few melodies from the top of my head with improvised lyrics. From that I'll usually find what lyrics I like and I'll throw away what I don't like.

I just mess around till I find something I like. Usually a chord progression/melody comes first.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I usually find a chord progression I like, and a general idea of what the song's about pops up in my head. Then I try to sing a few melodies from the top of my head with improvised lyrics. From that I'll usually find what lyrics I like and I'll throw away what I don't like.

I just mess around till I find something I like. Usually a chord progression/melody comes first.

yeah that works well for me, too
I find the melody first, that way I have a tone for my lyrics.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
It sort of changes how I do it, but usually I get a snippet of a melody or an interesting chord progression. I record it and listen to it then kinda just work on it from there.
I just write the first lyrics that come to my mind, (automatic writing most of the time) sometimes go back and edit them, and then try to come up with something that works.

When you write the lyrics without a melody though, you have to think of a song you like but then you're forced to do something somewhat similar, but you're good if you can pull it off without copying at all really. It's a lot harder the way I do it, but I MUST write down the lyrics because they'll come to my mind at random times and I don't like forgetting lyrics. I don't reccomend doing this.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Jan 11, 2012,
Kinda hard cause I use both approaches....I just chose melody over lyrics because that happens more often than me writing lyrics first.
Lyrics and melody are just as important. It depends on the genre too. In spoken word, great lyrics are essential.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I have a melody as I write the lyrics. I then adjust the music I've written to fit that melody.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I write lyrics in the hope that one day I'll figure out how to write a melody.

AHah! I know exactly what you mean. I found that coming up with a melody is easier when you hear a drummer playing some random improv thing. Then you just doo dee doo wap your way to a great riff.
I thought this was going to be a thread about times you've misheard lyrics. So I'm going to talk about it anyway. I always notice in The Devil Wears Prada songs they say things that sound like potatoes. For instance the end of Born to lose. "BORN TO LOSE, BORN TO LOSE, BORN TO LOSE with A NOOSE around my neck!" Sounds a lot like "POTATOOOOOOES! POTATOOOOOOES! POTAATOOOOES! with a noose around my necK!"
Music first, then lyrics. Melody comes last, I find it easiest to do that way. Once I've got a chord progression and I know what I want to say, it's easier to communicate that through something that's already built.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I tend to not use chords as a base for my song structure. (Maybe a mistake? Because I am finding it pretty hard coming up with things that meet my standards )
Chord prog, then melody, then no lyrics lol i dont sing.

Wait what? Why do i have a post^

Idk
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Jan 16, 2012,
You don't have to sing. Just your general idea on how you would do things.
i write the bassline. makes sense to start with the most important aspect of music does it not?
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
If I'm looking for strange phrasings for the lyrics, I'll write the lyrics first.

If I'm looking for a nice touch to the instrumental, melody then lyrics.