Hey yall! I have been reading extensively about this guitar and want to purchase it however, I am getting mixed reviews about whether or not its a solid spruce top. Epiphone list it as Solid spruce but GC and every other reputable online store says "Select Spruce". So my question is, if I buy it and GC receives it and I notice its not a solid top, will I have a leg to stand on if I want a refund? I'm just worried that an older model that's laminate will be sent in place of newer stock...sorry if its a dumb question...thanks!!!
the bottom line is whether you like how it sounds, not whether it has a solid top. if gc says it's select, not solid, i don't see how you can complain to them if it's select as they said it was.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Then how do I go about making sure the guitar I buy, is the guitar that epiphone advertises? If I could buy direct from them I would...
you could contact gibson or guitar center directly. as far as i know, they haven't changed the top from laminate to solid, but gibson support should be able to tell you more. you might also want to post your question on the epiphone section of the gibson board here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/47-epiphone/
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
the bottom line is whether you like how it sounds, not whether it has a solid top. if gc says it's select, not solid, i don't see how you can complain to them if it's select as they said it was.
Musician's Friend resolves the top issue by simply saying "spruce top" if it's laminate, solid spruce if it is solid. (Ibanez uses this protocol as well).
Quote by Southerndrawl
Patti, thanks for ur help. The following link had what I was looking for, other than a gurantee from GC...but according to this, the ej200 starting around the end of 2010 have solid tops. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54132-ej-200-solid-or-select-top/page__st__20#
The issue of a solid top is not as cut and dried as you might like. (pun intended). Tops are graded, from AAAA on down. Many years ago Gibson stated that a grain angle of more than either 5 or 15 degrees, would adversely affect the sound. (I'm sorry I forget the actual number). With that said, it takes a really, really big tree to produce wood with the grain that perpendicular to the cut. ('bout 8' in diameter, or so). Needless to say, many of those monsters have been cut down long ago.

Personally, I think a laminate top controls the bass better than many solid tops. There seems to be less of it, but it's tighter. There are other variables at play obviously, and this conclusion has been drawn only from the few low/mid price point guitars which I own. Your results of course,may vary. (Always good to stuff in a disclaimer).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 14, 2012,
actually mf has often written to manufacturers for me to look more deeply into similar issues.
Quote by Skeet UK