I know there's too many amp help threads but still...

I'm looking for a good starter tube amp, low wattage, not gigging. I would also like it to take pedals pretty well. I think I've narrowed it down to the Kustom 5w head and 1x12 cabinet or the VHT special six combo. Any advice on which one?

My Style: Alt/punk w/ melodic and surf influences and singer songwriter-y (i use my acoustic for most of the softer stuff but still)

Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Junior w/ P-90, Boss Blues Driver, Ibanez Tube Screamer, MXR 6 band eq
by the way, I'm thinking about getting either a rocktron hush or mxr noise clamp too at some point. that may factor in
What's your budget, if it's high enough of you do Ebay you should look into a Vox AC15
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
^will be too loud

i like the kustom
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
Quote by genuklein
^will be too loud

i like the kustom

Sorry didn't think about that!!!
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
AC15 would be fine or maybe possibly a Blues Jr. You could even go with a Tweaker for those prices. They're all good, versatile and will get you going to jams even past your first round of gigs.
he said in the first post that he isn't gigging..
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
Most 5w tube amps won't be clean enough to do your surf/singer songwriter stuff.

What's the most you're willing to spend?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Orange Tiny Terror would be good, it's got good cleans but isn't too loud
EDIT: keep in mind that it's 1 channel, so you'd either have to use a distortion pedal or keep the gain up/use your guitars volume if you want to switch between clean/distorted sounds
I know he said he isn't gigging, but I'm saying it would get him there should he change his mind.

Not sure I agree with you on the TT having any cleans at all... there isn't much headroom to speak of on that one... Its got decent sounding drive though. One trick pony IMO. You can get some variation by running it super hot and work your guitar volume to vary clean and dirty.
I have an 18W'er sitting next to me that you'd love. Even my acoustic plugged into it sounded great. It just kicks arse for punk and if you use the low input nice Plexi-like cleans.

shameless plug
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you like the head and combo thing, Vox L'il Night Train?

Stays clean well, simple and takes pedals nicely. I have a video uploading now which has all of my pedals running into it if you wanna wait and see what that sounds like.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
An AC15 or a Blues Jr isn't much louder than a 5 watt amp, and it didn't appear to me that hes looking to run an amp fully cranked anyways.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Cathbard
I have an 18W'er sitting next to me that you'd love. Even my acoustic plugged into it sounded great. It just kicks arse for punk and if you use the low input nice Plexi-like cleans.

shameless plug
It's OK: it's not spam when you're right! An 18W clone, Blues Jr or AC15 would serve him well.
Picking between tremolo and reverb is a tough one though!
Quote by genuklein
he said in the first post that he isn't gigging..

well not with my amp. the lead guitarist in my band just got a hot rod deluxe which has two inputs, so thats what we'll use for gigs
^No offense, but that's a terrible idea.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Eppicurt
If you like the head and combo thing, Vox L'il Night Train?

Stays clean well, simple and takes pedals nicely. I have a video uploading now which has all of my pedals running into it if you wanna wait and see what that sounds like.

This. Wonderful little amp. Takes pedals well. Has a decent amount of clean headroom and can get pretty gritty.
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Paddledude
well not with my amp. the lead guitarist in my band just got a hot rod deluxe which has two inputs, so thats what we'll use for gigs

Don't do that.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
special 6 is pretty nice, but the stock speaker is very much aimed at cleans and is tinny with distortion. it'd work pretty well (assuming you're trying to keep it as cheap as possible) but it really needs a speaker swap (or better yet get teh head version and use it with a different cab).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Paddledude

whoooahhh slow down, that is not how that works. its not meant to be played by 2 people at once. a lot of amps have one input for low gain and one for hi gain.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby