Page 1 of 2
Hello there guys and girls. I'm wondering what guitar would be best suited for punk and rock. I know it would have to be a guitar with humbuckers. I was thinking either an Epiphone SG with P90s or an Epi Les Paul. This guitar would be my main guitar and also my workhorse.

What would you suggest ?
Sg. P90's are kinda noisy and work great for the 'unrefined' punk sound.

If you want versatility however go with an lp standard.
Punk and Rock isn't very specific. But yeah I'd go for something with P90s.
id get LP wit P90 but tht just me if ur lookin for a more classic punk sound pretty much anything will do but if ur lookin for a rock/pop punk type id go with the LP but thats just me
telecaster. humbuckers. that is all.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Tele's sound sexy for punk.
Gear:
Roland Cube 15X
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Dunlop Jazz III pick (max grip)
Roland HD-1 Elec drum kit

add me on fb!
There really isn't a specific guitar for punk because punk is such an inclusive and varied genre that almost any tone will work. Compare The MC5, The Clash, Black Flag and The Dead Milkmen and you'll realize punk tone can be whatever you want. Also, contrary to what you may think single coils are great for punk jut look at Joe Strummer or Johnny Ramone. You should just go to a guitar store and buy whatever you like in your price range.
Quote by fuzzpedal
There really isn't a specific guitar for punk because punk is such an inclusive and varied genre that almost any tone will work. Compare The MC5, The Clash, Black Flag and The Dead Milkmen and you'll realize punk tone can be whatever you want. Also, contrary to what you may think single coils are great for punk jut look at Joe Strummer or Johnny Ramone. You should just go to a guitar store and buy whatever you like in your price range.

This. I think I've seen almost any decently-known guitar you can think of used well in Punk.
Take your squier, beat some hippies with it, burn it a bit, leave it in a snowbank for a week, throw it into a bandsaw, then it will be the perfect punk guitar.
Quote by &baconstrips
Take your squier, beat some hippies with it, burn it a bit, leave it in a snowbank for a week, throw it into a bandsaw, then it will be the perfect punk guitar.

^ This.
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
A great punk guitar is anything that works.

Just get 10 Squiers, break them one by one by gig.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A great punk guitar is anything that works.

Just get 10 Squiers, break them one by one by gig.

buy some crappy Squiers and get a nice loaded pickguard and just drop it in each of your guitar waiting to be smashed.

Or you could just get a guitar and cover it in stickers like the cool kids.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Go for some Fender-style guitar with both Single Coil and p-90 or Humbucker pickups in it. Like a Strat with a Humbucker in the bridge.
Punk is, above all else, about volume and energy. It doesn't matter what you use, the tones and gear used by bands are very varied because there isn't a "punk tone."
If you want to play punk, crank all of the knobs and vent your anger and frustration on the guitar. Whatever makes you feel good is punk rock.
Last edited by Vital-Signs at Jan 12, 2012,
Oh, I almost forgot, bypass all knobs, you wont use them anyways. A real punk guitar has 1 sound: dirty.
Here is my punk guitar. It was less than $100 and I removed all of the internals and it goes directly from the pickup to the output cable.
I also cut off the extra pick guard I wasn't using. Gave it a rather unique sound.
^somebody's doing it right. How come I see no dings? haha

edit: that was for Vital Signs, but that violin is redic!
Last edited by &baconstrips at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by &baconstrips
^somebody's doing it right. How come I see no dings? haha

edit: that was for Vital Signs, but that violin is redic!

They are there, however the paint(more like lacquer) is close to 3 miles thick so it's hard to scratch down to the wood.
So it's more dings in the paint that you can't see in a photo.
If I wasn't so lazy and if I had sun for more than an hour a day, I'd take a pic of my punk bass. It's a phony pbass I got for $80 with flatwounds, mad wear, water damage, cigarette burns, and a swapped pickup wired straight to the output. I'm in the process of de-punking it though because I don't actually play punk enough to warrant my only bass being devoted to the genre.
I'm thinking about putting a kill switch on it for when I'm not playing. Just a little lever switch I can put below the output to turn the power to the guitar on and off so I don't get any feedback.
Blasphemy! I guess you could do it, simplest mod ever, if feedback and buzz annoy you that much.
Quote by &baconstrips
Blasphemy! I guess you could do it, simplest mod ever, if feedback and buzz annoy you that much.

The over 9,000dB high pitched scream that the guitars/microphones make tends to get annoying. This way if something goes wrong I don't have to try and make it to the amp before the speaker blows.

Honestly, why do people treat the simplest solutions as the last resort? Flip a switch right on the guitar and the sound is instantly cut. No need to mess with volume pedals, dials, or knobs, so no having to run to different places, the kill switch sits right there less than a foot from your hand. Just *flip* guitar on, *flip* guitar off, etc.
Quote by Vital-Signs
The over 9,000dB high pitched scream that the guitars/microphones make tends to get annoying. This way if something goes wrong I don't have to try and make it to the amp before the speaker blows.

Honestly, why do people treat the simplest solutions as the last resort? Flip a switch right on the guitar and the sound is instantly cut. No need to mess with volume pedals, dials, or knobs, so no having to run to different places, the kill switch sits right there less than a foot from your hand. Just *flip* guitar on, *flip* guitar off, etc.

Honestly why do people treat the simplest solution as the last resort?

Guitars have volume knobs for a reason....
Agile AL-series

al-2000 ( 225 ) if your poor

al-3000 if you have a a budget in the 400 .

superb les paul copy ... and cheap .
they also have a model call Valkyrie which is similar to a SG.

rondomusic.com
great bang for the buck .

*** and dude because its "punk" doesnt mean you have to play with a crappy instrument /thrash up guitar . Many punk rock guitarist used Gibson les paul / fender stratocaster hss / telecaster etc.. and many punk ( sex pistols etc ).. used high quality gears ( marshall jcm , mesa boogie triple recto etc. etc.. ) . Im fed up of little kids thinking they are punks cause they have stickers on their crappy guitars or jump with both feets on their pedal or kick them across the room .

your gear shouldnt have to suffer the fact that your stepfather was an asshole to you or that the your mother refused to breastfeed you when you were toddler or didnt hug you .
to all wanna punk kid who think their punk ... leave your gear alone .

so much bad stereotype for "punk" . wearing a leather jacket and studs with a mohawk doesnt make you punk .

Sticking feathers up your butt doesnt make you a chicken !! -Tyler Durden .

Go with an agile 3000 .. oustanding guitar and cheap
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 12, 2012,
you dont need some specific guitar to play some specific genre. I can play MoP on my fender and on my MM and bet more than half of you wont ever notice the difference between the two. You need a good amp, that's it.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by Vital-Signs

simplest solution: unplug
I use my Fender Jim Root telecaster to play all styles but it's strength is Punt and Rock! Check them out on YouTube
Quote by Skysc

and dude because its "punk" doesnt mean you have to play with a crappy instrument /thrash up guitar . Many punk rock guitarist used Gibson les paul / fender stratocaster hss / telecaster etc.. and many punk ( sex pistols etc ).. used high quality gears ( marshall jcm , mesa boogie triple recto etc. etc.. ) .

If I remember the story right, the Pistols had good gear because they stole it from an unattended truck
Quote by DrJohnnyClash
If I remember the story right, the Pistols had good gear because they stole it from an unattended truck

Yup, from the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie's band a la Ziggy Stardust.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Skysc

*** and dude because its "punk" doesnt mean you have to play with a crappy instrument /thrash up guitar . Many punk rock guitarist used Gibson les paul / fender stratocaster hss / telecaster etc.. and many punk ( sex pistols etc ).. used high quality gears ( marshall jcm , mesa boogie triple recto etc. etc.. ) . Im fed up of little kids thinking they are punks cause they have stickers on their crappy guitars or jump with both feets on their pedal or kick them across the room .

your gear shouldnt have to suffer the fact that your stepfather was an asshole to you or that the your mother refused to breastfeed you when you were toddler or didnt hug you .

so much bad stereotype for "punk" . wearing a leather jacket and studs with a mohawk doesnt make you punk .

Isn't punk about liberation?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter

I thought I read somewhere that they stole them from Bob Marley's band.
Quote by Skysc
Agile AL-series

al-2000 ( 225 ) if your poor

al-3000 if you have a a budget in the 400 .

superb les paul copy ... and cheap .
they also have a model call Valkyrie which is similar to a SG.

rondomusic.com
great bang for the buck .

Go with an agile 3000 .. oustanding guitar and cheap

A real punk guitar is the cheapest guitar you can find, stained with the blood of someone you don't know, and some sort of severe damage, played loud.
Quote by kangaxxter

So there's the secret to truly great punk gear: Steal it from "better" bands like the Pistols and then take it to gigs on public transportation in shopping bags like the Ramones did.
Page 1 of 2