hey just a random question plz dont judge me for it. ...

I know being a musician isnt like playing basketball or other sports where once u hit 35+ its bout time to retire. when I hear players like sach who's in his 50's and buckethead(40's) who's playing speed shows no signs of slowing down anytime time soon

my question is, is there a certain age where u can see ur playing speed slowing down?
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Last edited by Marqway at Jan 11, 2012,
As you get older, you generally have less time to play guitar, and the less you play, the more you will slow down.

However, if you just keep on playing, you'll keep the speed up. I'm probably the fastest now than I've ever been, purely because I've just kept playing (11 years and counting now).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
does your guitar speed matter as you age?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Hm, maybe we should ask Keith Richards, or any number of aging prog rockers about that. One supposes losing a beat of two might make for a bit of difficulty on the "nostalgia tour circuit".

In defense of it not mattering, the audience probably doesn't care, or for that matter, even notice.

So, it could go either way.

I think either Glen Frey, or Don Henly said, that as they got older, it was better to have the bathroom closer to the stage.
You slow down a bit, but you can still be blindingly fast. Hopefully you've also been learning to play well across all those years, and even if you aren't as fast as you used to be, you'll still be able to play some awesome guitar!
It does but if you keep your chops maintained then it isn't anything to worry about; the amount of dexterity you lose is fairly negligable.

Also, the age where it will make a difference is older than 50. Think 60-70+. Even at that there isn't enough of a loss to worry about.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jan 12, 2012,
I''m not sure, however I can't stop thinking that petrucci has been looking to getting "insurance" for himself.

Petrucci

Though Guitarist like Vai seem to be less "detailed/perfected" in their playing since their mid years.

This however may come with what Alan said. Lack of time and lack of concentration/motivation.

I philosophize things back to human basics, and I like to think that younger people need to "be better" too increase their "succes" rate, so their brain/body work harder at being better.

Naturally when your older you motivation for succes in life lessens. This is by far not the case for everyone, but for those who do want to uphold succes probably have a (deep) ingrained psychological need, which is often the case with people who are workaholics and the like.

These are personal thoughts and not facts so discard them if you want.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 12, 2012,
I don't know about speed, but skill in general... Segovia himself was playing concerts until he was about 90. Seriously. Mind you, he is Segovia...

That aside, I think Alan nailed it here:

Quote by AlanHB
As you get older, you g[enerally have less time to play guitar, and the less you play, the more you will slow down.

Having kids, a career and a mortgage will do that to you.

The only thing I'll add to that is that I think I also stopped *caring* how fast I could play around 35.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Marqway

I know being a musician isnt like playing basketball or other sports where once u hit 35+ its bout time to retire. when I hear players like sach who's in his 50's and buckethead(40's) who's playing speed shows no signs of slowing down anytime time soon

my question is, is there a certain age where u can see ur playing speed slowing down?

i suppose after a certain amount of time you would not practice as much or have the energy or maybe not even the interest. if you dont have any other problems though and keep it up, im sure someone could keep it up as long as they want.
Quote by Marqway

I think when you reach a certain age speed isn't that big a deal, and what you do with the notes you play means more. I think that just comes with maturity. We also tend to care less about what others think, because we realize that in the big picture, being yourself is all that matters, and we are less inclined to try and impress people, having found peace in being grounded and secure with who we are. I recognize I'll never be Clapton or Satch or Buckethead, and that's okay, because the world has those guys. I'm here to define what I am, and what my place in the world is, and so incidentals like "speed" and the like mean less to me, as do playing notes that move me and move others.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 13, 2012,
Speed might be over rated. Back in the day we had, "Ten Years After". Their guitarist, Alvin Lee, was indeed blazing fast. However, the songs were superficial vehicles to support Mr. Lee's grandstanding, nothing more. All form, and no substance. That said, I find myself abundantly disinterested about whether Mr. Lee is as fast now, as way back when. A newspaper review I read about the band stated, "despite ...[ ?? ].... Alvin Lee is not an unintelligent man". Hm......,!

Young people just starting out tend to be very competitive, and speed seems to be a principle they apply when determining how, "good" they are. Simplified; "fast is good"! Meh, maybe, maybe not.

Nowadays, you're much more likely to run into David Gilmore in concert than Alvin Lee. David Gilmore was never all that fast. I suppose you can draw your own conclusions as to why that is.
First, your life doesn't suddenly end at age 30, a common misconception among young people.

Second, finger dexterity (at least mine) doesn't fade very fast outside of injury or disease.

Third, once you are well into middle age your career or work is pretty established, kids are gone and you are a lot more experienced in living, your amount of free time goes up allowing for a lot more undistracted practice and for lessons.

Fourth, if you are still playing at 50, it is because you love to play music, not to impress your peers or become a star.

Fifth, you learn a lot about "economy of motion" while playing. After 43 years of playing musical instruments you figure out a few tricks, I find a lot of tabs entertaining because it is like the transcriber went out of their way to tab out the absolute hardest way to play something.

Sixth, you realize that while speed has its place, feeling and sound is what generally impresses the audience.

Seventh, just play yer' guitar and not worry about it.
Quote by Quintex
First, your life doesn't suddenly end at age 30, a common misconception among young people.
"Hope I die before I get old". (The Who, (from "My Generation", written by Peter Townshend). The now 60 something, and still milking "Tommy" for all it's worth Townshend, was quoted in interview saying, "that statement will probably come back to haunt me".

Abbie Hoffman is credited with the activist slogan, "never trust anyone over thirty".

Peter Townshend knocked Abbie Hoffman out cold with his guitar during a concert. Abbie Hoffman is dead! (Although not due to, or directly traceable, to that incident.

If the topic is silly enough, does it matter how far you stray from it?

But perhaps more importantly, WTF does "ur" spell?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Quintex

OMGGGGG!!!! THANK GOOOOODDDD!!!

IT'S TRUE! I'M NOT DEAD! NOT DEAD, I TELL YA!

OOOOOOHHHHHHH.... THANK YOOOOOUUUUU!!!

Whew! What a relief!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

What does happen, though, is that you're more likely to be labelled a "creepy old man" for dating girls under 21. Haha.

CT

if you keep practicing you wont lose it. i have decreased my guitar playing yet i feel that i can get back up to my good ol days after jamming or practicing for a good couple of hours. singing on the other hand, seems like i have to sing almost regularly to get the power/sustainability. cuz i hace stopped singing after 3 months before and couldnt belt out lines that i had no problem doing 4 months ago. guitar skill seems to fade way slower for me cuz i've taken year breaks from it and could still shred
Quote by axemanchris
What does happen, though, is that you're more likely to be labelled a "creepy old man" for dating girls under 21. Haha.

CT
That's what I've said all along, "I'm not a dirty old man yet, but I'll happen, and I want to have a, "leg up on it""!
Quote by vampirelazarus

You know what? That's a... very good point.

I often think about TS's question. In 10, 20 years, what will "modern" music sound like, and will my favorite guitar techniques even be considered cool anymore. Will I become that bald guy that sits at GC for two hours playing 30 year old music at low volume hoping that someone will walk by and say "cool man... cool." ?

Seriously though. Your point raises a lot of neat questions. 40 years ago, shredding wasn't common.
Quote by CV334
40 years ago, shredding wasn't common.

True. But 25 years ago, you were pretty much written off if you couldn't.

And then 20 years ago, it was about as uncool as beehive hairdos and afros.

And then 15 years ago it started to come back.

And then....

And then....

CT

Quote by Freepower
No, that's just awesome.

What's creepy is trying to get them.

Touche!!

CT

See, I just see speed as another technique.

And like techniques, sometimes you use one technique, sometimes, you dont use it. Its all about the feel, or how you want something to feel.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
yea see i started playing about 2 years ago, im 21 now , so i dunno how fast ill be able to play five, ten years from now.

but maybe theres still a party of me (still being young n all)
that wants to drive that fast car like yea i can do the speed limit n follow the rules but everynow n then wanna take this baby out for a test run and see how fast I can go... kno what im saying...
(now ill admit i wouldnt ever try that with a real car i hope but i do think it some times)

NOW, ALL THAT BEING SAID!!!

honestly im really going for clarity, melodic, emotional soloing over being a completely devoted shredder. but at times feel like the solo needs climaxing and play something as fast as i can (buckethead style) lol for bout 20 - 30 seconds or so and then im good

lol sounds silly but i hope ya get what im saying but thats for another topic, i posted the thread question because i was curious if I would even have that burst of speed down the line as I got older or what ...
Last edited by Marqway at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Marqway

but maybe theres still a party of me

Typo ..... "Part of me" = )