I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez Edge I tremolo and i'm wondering how much modifying it'll take to mount it w/o recessing it. Here's a photo of my current tremolo. Also need to know how to install the locking nut also.

I dont think it will fit well at all. The strings probably will end up too high over the fretboard if you flat mount it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jan 12, 2012,
thats what she said
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Looking at the photo, it should fit ok. Recessed would be a hell of a lot better though.

Installing the locking nut is a lot easier than people might tell you. You'll need to remove the existing nut with a small chisel. You could use a router to create the recess but I find this method easier: Saw down to the correct depth using a tenon saw (or similar) in the empty nut slot. Next use a larger chisel to remove the unwanted material between the headstock and your tenon saw cut. Remember, if you remove too much, you can always use paper or card as a shim to raise the action.

Hope this helps

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Not easily. Unless you don't mind backrouting the guitar, just sell the guitar, get a 370 and try the mod again.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Installing a bridge meant to be recessed on a non-recessed body means modifying the neck pocket. On Fender-style guitars, with meaty pockets/heels, this isn't a huge problem. There's a lot of wood and space to work with to get the angle right with a combination of re-routing, shaving and shimming. Plus those sorts of pockets are square which is a nice easy shape to work with.

On an Ibanez style body (or the bodies of many other 'metal' brands), which tend to have contoured, asymmetrical and/or much thinner heels and pockets, your job is much harder. You've got irregular shapes and angles to work with and less wood/space. It's damn near impossible to get right. This won't be a problem for the lower frets of the guitar but it means the higher frets will be next to unplayable.

Not to mention your current bridge seems to be a non-locking bridge which would imply that the neck also is not able to take a locking nut, which would be a requirement for any locking bridge like the Ibanez Edge series.

Save yourself the trouble. There are lots of guitars made with non-recessed Floyds if that's the vibe you want (Kramer and Charvel being the main two; Fender have also done them on occasion) and there are even more guitars made with recessed Floyds or other double-locking vibrato designs. Or if you simply want an upgrade form your current bridge and want to keep the single-locking, non-recessed feel then there are a million and one other upgrades for that that don't require pocket angling.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hmm I think I will re think this one, I was hoping I could be slick and just drop the bridge in there w/o chopping into my body too much. I would go insane with half inch tall action.
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Hmm I think I will re think this one, I was hoping I could be slick and just drop the bridge in there w/o chopping into my body too much. I would go insane with half inch tall action.

Recessing the body isn't too difficult anyway. I'm lucky because my college has a CNC router which makes it infinitely easier! But I have done it with a regular router, and it's not really that tricky. I reckon you could do it easily

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.