I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez Edge I tremolo and i'm wondering how much modifying it'll take to mount it w/o recessing it. Here's a photo of my current tremolo. Also need to know how to install the locking nut also.

I dont think it will fit well at all. The strings probably will end up too high over the fretboard if you flat mount it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jan 12, 2012,
thats what she said
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Looking at the photo, it should fit ok. Recessed would be a hell of a lot better though.

Installing the locking nut is a lot easier than people might tell you. You'll need to remove the existing nut with a small chisel. You could use a router to create the recess but I find this method easier: Saw down to the correct depth using a tenon saw (or similar) in the empty nut slot. Next use a larger chisel to remove the unwanted material between the headstock and your tenon saw cut. Remember, if you remove too much, you can always use paper or card as a shim to raise the action.

Hope this helps

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Not easily. Unless you don't mind backrouting the guitar, just sell the guitar, get a 370 and try the mod again.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Installing a bridge meant to be recessed on a non-recessed body means modifying the neck pocket. On Fender-style guitars, with meaty pockets/heels, this isn't a huge problem. There's a lot of wood and space to work with to get the angle right with a combination of re-routing, shaving and shimming. Plus those sorts of pockets are square which is a nice easy shape to work with.

On an Ibanez style body (or the bodies of many other 'metal' brands), which tend to have contoured, asymmetrical and/or much thinner heels and pockets, your job is much harder. You've got irregular shapes and angles to work with and less wood/space. It's damn near impossible to get right. This won't be a problem for the lower frets of the guitar but it means the higher frets will be next to unplayable.

Not to mention your current bridge seems to be a non-locking bridge which would imply that the neck also is not able to take a locking nut, which would be a requirement for any locking bridge like the Ibanez Edge series.

Save yourself the trouble. There are lots of guitars made with non-recessed Floyds if that's the vibe you want (Kramer and Charvel being the main two; Fender have also done them on occasion) and there are even more guitars made with recessed Floyds or other double-locking vibrato designs. Or if you simply want an upgrade form your current bridge and want to keep the single-locking, non-recessed feel then there are a million and one other upgrades for that that don't require pocket angling.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hmm I think I will re think this one, I was hoping I could be slick and just drop the bridge in there w/o chopping into my body too much. I would go insane with half inch tall action.
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Hmm I think I will re think this one, I was hoping I could be slick and just drop the bridge in there w/o chopping into my body too much. I would go insane with half inch tall action.

Recessing the body isn't too difficult anyway. I'm lucky because my college has a CNC router which makes it infinitely easier! But I have done it with a regular router, and it's not really that tricky. I reckon you could do it easily

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.