Whenever I think of music biopics (movie/biographies), I think of all the absolutely horrible things that could happen. Like:

1. Content is fake/unproven
2. Movie doesn't get recognition from public if it's good OR
3. Movie gets MASS recognition, and the band/artist gets legions and legions of annoying fans. Band/artist kind of gets ruined for you because you're selfish .
4. Wrong actors picked for the parts
5. Poor concept (the Bob Dylan movie I'm Not There for example IMO)

But what if a movie could be made that avoided all of these horrible things?

What band/artist would you want to get a well-made movie about?

I'd love to see a Velvet Underground movie (only if it was done well, of course). I think there's a lot about the new york scene in that time period that could be put into a VU movie.

Also, I read a couple Hendrix biographies and his life was really interesting (bad home life, army, playing for Little Richard, fame in UK, recognition by british peers, terrible "friends" hanging around his home and stealing his stuff, death, etc...). That would make a great movie.
Spinal Tap had a pretty good movie made about them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
i think you pretty much summed up why I only rarely watch movies about bands. I way more prefer just documentaries w/ interviews and stuff (for obvious reasons, it's kinda hard to shoot movie like that w/ some bands). Like the white stripes documentary was pretty good imo (under great northern lights (or something)). Speaking of white stripes reminds me of some dvd i rented from local library. It was supposed to be documentary/biography, but when i tried to watch it i noticed couple 'small' details. It wasn't approved by the band itself in any way, it didn't contain any of their music (they were just using some generic rock-ish tracks) and most of all, it didn't contain any of the band members at all >< Was just interviews w/ some ppl about the band, but not w/ the actual band

edit: also 'It might get loud' was pretty cool ^^ but that ain't exactly a biography
edit2:

Also, I read a couple Hendrix biographies and his life was really interesting (bad home life, army, playing for Little Richard, fame in UK, recognition by british peers, terrible "friends" hanging around his home and stealing his stuff, death, etc...). That would make a great movie.

There is a movie about hendrix.
Haven't seen it, but there is one ^^
Last edited by KorYi at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by RGallagherFan
Whenever I think of music biopics (movie/biographies), I think of all the absolutely horrible things that could happen. Like:

1. Content is fake/unproven
2. Movie doesn't get recognition from public if it's good OR
3. Movie gets MASS recognition, and the band/artist gets legions and legions of annoying fans. Band/artist kind of gets ruined for you because you're selfish .
4. Wrong actors picked for the parts
5. Poor concept (the Bob Dylan movie I'm Not There for example IMO)

But what if a movie could be made that avoided all of these horrible things?

What band/artist would you want to get a well-made movie about?

I'd love to see a Velvet Underground movie (only if it was done well, of course). I think there's a lot about the new york scene in that time period that could be put into a VU movie.

I'm not there is amazing.
dont think i wanna see an actual movie about any band tbh, but would love to see a really good documentary on guns n roses. one that goes deep into the early days before it all went to shit. would be cool to learn about their younger days, their influences, and what drove them to become musicians.
Quote by uziyourillusion
dont think i wanna see an actual movie about any band tbh, but would love to see a really good documentary on guns n roses. one that goes deep into the early days before it all went to shit. would be cool to learn about their younger days, their influences, and what drove them to become musicians.

Just do some reading about them man! Slash and Steven where buddies and obsessed with KISS and Aerosmith, Duff was a punk rocker from Seattle, and Axl and Izzy where just musicians looking to break into the business from the Midwest, good ole' american boys. I was actually gonna say a GN'R movie would be hilariously awesome.
How was the Bob Dylan concept bad. Apart from Richard Gere's character I thought the whole thing was pretty solid.

The Doors movie with Val Kilmer was a shambles for credibility though.
If the movie version of The Dirt (Motley Crue book) ever surfaces it could be insane if done well. Hopefuly all these delays are for good reason and they wan't to get it perfect and not half arse it though.

Casting needs to be perfect as all 4 guys have such hugely different personalities and which way they'll go with some of the stories could be key seeing as the bands hazy recollections of these events can vastly differ in the book.

Thoughts on casting?
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
There is a Freddie Mercury biopic coming out.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Just do some reading about them man! Slash and Steven where buddies and obsessed with KISS and Aerosmith, Duff was a punk rocker from Seattle, and Axl and Izzy where just musicians looking to break into the business from the Midwest, good ole' american boys. I was actually gonna say a GN'R movie would be hilariously awesome.

i read slash's book and really loved it. thinking of picking up duff's book also, i REALLY wana get a copy of Reckless Road, looks like it has loads of photos and other stuff from the early club days which is just what i want.
Quote by Demon Wolf
There is a Freddie Mercury biopic coming out.

There better be a lot of nude scenes.

I'd like a SUPER HARDCORE 20 hour long biopic series that goes super in depth on the beatles, birth to death. Aw yeah.
Quote by necrosis1193
Spinal Tap had a pretty good movie made about them.

It was totally a fake band made up for the movie.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Weaponized
There better be a lot of nude scenes.

I'd like a SUPER HARDCORE 20 hour long biopic series that goes super in depth on the beatles, birth to death. Aw yeah.

Talking of the Beatles (almost) Nowhere Boy was a pretty decent biopic about their early days as the Quarrymen.

Not hugely exciting but worth a watch to anyone who hasn't saw it.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If the movie version of The Dirt (Motley Crue book) ever surfaces it could be insane if done well. Hopefuly all these delays are for good reason and they wan't to get it perfect and not half arse it though.

Casting needs to be perfect as all 4 guys have such hugely different personalities and which way they'll go with some of the stories could be key seeing as the bands hazy recollections of these events can vastly differ in the book.

Thoughts on casting?

Tommy Lee Jones should play Tommy Lee. Purely because their names are similar
Quote by ripple07
It was totally a fake band made up for the movie.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Control (Ian Curtis biopic) is really good. So dark though....
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by alkalineweeman
Talking of the Beatles (almost) Nowhere Boy was a pretty decent biopic about their early days as the Quarrymen.

Not hugely exciting but worth a watch to anyone who hasn't saw it.

I saw it, was like woaaaaaaaaah when the shit hit the fan, never knew that about John Lennon's family. I also didn't know he was fucking bitches left and right.
Quote by necrosis1193

Good. I actually punched a partial hole in my wall when I read your original post. Now I feel like quite the fool.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.