Poll: Would you tell your kid he/she is adopted?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you tell your kid he/she is adopted?
Yes
72 89%
No
2 2%
I don't know
7 9%
Voters: 81.
Page 1 of 2
Just something I was wondering about the other day: Is "wrong" in any way to tell your kid he/she was adopted?

I've heard of a lot of couples who do, and some that don't. To me it seems more dishonest to tell a kid it's not adopted when it is, than to just say it is adopted when it is (suppose you could tell a non-adopted kid it's adopted but that's pretty... messed up).

So is it "wrong"? And if you had an adopted kid would you tell it it's adopted?

I would, but I'm not sure how. I don't see why it would matter
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
'Hands up everyone who knows who their parents are?"

*Child raises hand*

"Think again Tommy, think again."

This is the only way to go about it.
Quote by PaulyVengeance
'Hands up everyone who knows who their parents are?"

*Child raises hand*

"Think again Tommy, think again"

This is the only way to go about it.

I was actually thinking of something similar, except all my kids would stand in a line and maybe there'd be like one adopted kid in it. I'd say "everyone take a step forward if you're not adopted" and then "whoa not so fast Liza".
Two of my better friends growing up were adopted. They were twins - don't look much like each other, but they are. They knew from pretty early on that they were adopted. Not going to comment on one of their status' - can't say it's good - can't say it's bad either. I can only wish him well and hope to be a good influence. The other's doing alright.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jan 12, 2012,
I have seen enough soap operas that I know you need to tell them they're adopted, otherwise they throw a shit fit and there's 20 episodes about them hating their "parents". You don't want that to happen.
"Son/Daughter, you are adopted"

"What????"

"Also Santa isn't real"

Completey will forget about the first confession and at least you can say you told him/her
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I'd tell them from a young age. It's probably better than them finding out in later life.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
The only humane way I can think of is constructing a complex scavenger hunt that will eventually, through hard work and perseverance, lead to a chest containing their adoption papers. Then it's kid of like they won a prize!
Balls.
I don't talk to my kids, Ts. If I could I would tell them I love them, not that they were adopted.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
I don't talk to my kids, Ts. If I could I would tell them I love them, not that they were adopted.

that sounds like
something tortilla
would say
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'd sedate them and get it tattooed on their forehead so they had a lovely surprise when they came round and looked in the mirror.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
i would probably explain why kids are put up for adoption first. adoption is viewed negativly by kids, it is always portrayed bad., and kids need to know why it happens and why it can be good.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I'd beat the adopted one extra hard untill she figures it out herself.

Genius.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I'd beat the adopted one extra hard untill she figures it out herself.

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by BlacksailsTippa
I have seen enough soap operas that I know you need to tell them they're adopted, otherwise they throw a shit fit and there's 20 episodes about them hating their "parents". You don't want that to happen.

This man knows the score.

Though by that reasoning every 10X10 block of housing has atleast 8 serial killers on the loose not to mention a crap load of attractive lesbian couples, 2 irritating but perfectly nice gay men and some catastrophe waiting in the wings to kill off half of the stale cast... i mean residents.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Sixth birthday: Santa is not real
Seventh birthday: You were adopted
Eight birthday: Your mother was a hooker
Ninth birthday: You were an failed abortion
Tenth birthday: Your mother is still a hooker
Eleventh birthday: The American National debt is mathematically impossible to repay.
Twelfth birthday: WHY SO SERIOUS?!
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Id would tell my child they were adopted. Id do it like that scene from Scary Movie 3, when he tells the little girl that her teacher is dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZSmKh64UM

I think it would go pretty well. Also, on a more serious note, I would definitely want to know if I was adopted.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by spitonastranger
Kensai, you're adopted.

Not something you tell a 67 year old man over the internet.
Quote by Gabel
My sister's adopted. I think she still remembers the day my parents met her.

I don't think you should ever hide the fact that they're adopted in the first place.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
I don't think you should ever have to tell them. They should know it from day 1. Do make sure that you don't make them feel inferior about it, though.
Quote by ripple07
Not something you tell a 67 year old man over the internet.

Enough ripple, it's been 67 years he deserves to know.
"Our whole family matures late. I didn't hit puberty until I was 14, neither did your sister."
"What does that matter? I'm adopted!"
"What? I thought we weren't going to tell him right away!"
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yeah my mum was!

Admittedly, I don't know how her parents told her, but my grandmother is horrible, so it probably wasn't done in the nicest way possible
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
I hope I'm adopted.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Children are incredibly adaptable, and their reference for normality is only the things they experience.

So if you told a kid on her 18th birthday that she was adopted, she would flip out from being lied to for 18 years. And rightly so, because what kind of psycho family lies to a child for 18 years.

But if you told them constantly throughout their life how positive it was, like maybe at aged 3 when she starts to ask where she comes from they could say "we adopted you, because we wanted you to have the best life possible" and then that will be normal to her, and she won't go through adult life thinking her childhood was a lie or anything.

Really, they should cover things like this before people are allowed to adopt. If you were actually into adoption and wanted to be adopted parents, why would you lie to the kid about it like it was something to be ashamed of?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Children are incredibly adaptable, and their reference for normality is only the things they experience.

So if you told a kid on her 18th birthday that she was adopted, she would flip out from being lied to for 18 years. And rightly so, because what kind of psycho family lies to a child for 18 years.

But if you told them constantly throughout their life how positive it was, like maybe at aged 3 when she starts to ask where she comes from they could say "we adopted you, because we wanted you to have the best life possible" and then that will be normal to her, and she won't go through adult life thinking her childhood was a lie or anything.

Really, they should cover things like this before people are allowed to adopt. If you were actually into adoption and wanted to be adopted parents, why would you lie to the kid about it like it was something to be ashamed of?

I agree 100%. Yet it's still a surprise to find out for some people.
I think the best thing is to tell them when they're very young, small kids tend to shrug stuff like that off because they're more interested in their surroundings than concepts of parenthood. That way, they grow up knowing they're adopted and get used to the idea and it doesn't tend to become such an issue later on. It may also be useful to tell them that you chose them out of several other kids, kinda make them feel special for being adopted.
You are ALL adopted.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by SG_dave
Woah Kjell. I just noticed that one of the yellow squares on your rainbow is actually orange.

What the hell man!

The orange square is my rainbow easter egg
Quote by Craigo
Shit! Wrong option by accident. Hell yeah I'd tell 'em. I'd be pissed off if that information was withheld from me.

I was looking at the poll and I saw you voting for no, I was like "lol wut? I wonder why?" and now I know
They should know. That's why I'd tell them like this.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Page 1 of 2