Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, so I've been thinking about this issue and still can't find the best solution.

So far how do you organize your pedal settings? Do you just stick a duct-tape over the knobs so that they dont get accidentally twisted or something during the gigs or do you write down the settings on a piece of paper and then reassure everything is setup right at the venue?

I was actually thinking, a nice app for an iPod/iPhone which would have knobs that you could set up the way you want for every pedal would be totally awesome, like just a raw of knobs for each pedal. Is there actually an app like that?

and just so that I started on apps, is there any app you touring musicians would suggest me to use for live gigs? Including organizers, reminders, may be an app for backing tracks or soemthing
I remember what I use.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Never realy gonna use an ipod live...Can you trust it.

As for pedals, got a white felt tip marker I just make a dash where I want it and hope I don't knock it
Quote by AJScott
Never realy gonna use an ipod live...Can you trust it.

As for pedals, got a white felt tip marker I just make a dash where I want it and hope I don't knock it

hmm well so far I haven't had a single issue with it, what other media player would I use for backing tracks then? and why this one is not to be trusted?
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm well so far I haven't had a single issue with it, what other media player would I use for backing tracks then? and why this one is not to be trusted?

I have an iPod Touch too and I don't have trouble. Error's will be made by the user, like accidentily knocking it cause it's so small. And for backing tracks, I use a band.
i remember where all the knobs should point on the board and amp, i don't have that many pedals.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Everything all the way up. No worries.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I set it once and hope it doesn't get moved. If it does get moved, it takes a song or two for me to notice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mcraddict81592
Everything all the way up. No worries.

If I need really specific settings, I write them down in a notepad that I usually carry with me in my pedal-bag. I can remember most of them by now, but you never know.
If you don't want to write on the pedal itself or put masking tape on it, pull the knobs off, cut a piece of card stock to fit with holes for the pot shafts and put it on the pedal then replace the knobs and mark your settings.

Or

Make a flip book of cards with the settings.

Or

Simply right them down in a small notebook.

Or

use a grease pencil to mark on the pedal instead of a marker.

Do you change settings much?
I just set them how I like them and go.
I can more or less remember how to get the sound out of them again if the knobs get knocked.
When I'm playing, if I notice something is off I'll just move the knobs with my foot. My big muff is like this, at different volumes, my amp is a little unpredictable, so if there's no soundcheck (which is often the case at smaller, combined gigs) then I'll just adjust on the fly.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Little pieces of electrical tape with metallic shapie dots, right on the pedals. Easy to see, and it just takes a quick glance to make sure all the dots are lined up right.
well so far I'm writing in a notebook, actualyl I have like 5 pedals and a MFX pedal, it's ok with MFX but the other pedals settings have to eb exactly the same, I spend a lot of time tailoring the sound then if something changes it just BUGS ME!!! UGGH! lol

I actually have more pedals but for the sake of simplicity at the moment I grab only what is really necessary
*shrug* I just keep them at the settings and have the knowledge in my head of what those settings are if the knobs ever deviate from there and I need to return to my default settings.

That said, when I stick my pedalsboard in front of someone else's amp, I might have to tweak the settings to be rather different than my default ones. So in that case my default settings aren't that useful.
I just set them to whatever sounds best at that time, which is almost never the same. Except with Fuzz Faces which are always all the way up. And my El Cap has the favorite mode so that's easy.
When you finally buy an amp that sounds really good, settings seem to matter a lot less.
Quote by BobDetroit
When you finally buy an amp that sounds really good, settings seem to matter a lot less.

I haven't found that at all. settings matter the same regardless of the amp im using.
mojostompboxes.com
For my dirt pedals, it's going to depend on where I'm playing. Depending on if it's an outside gig or indoors, and depending on the size of the room. You'll sound different in every venue, so I just set my tone controls up to what sounds best for the situation, or what mood, or what guitar I'm using.

Modulations and things of that nature usually stay the same, but my modulation needs are covered by my Nova Modulator right now, so I have presets and don't have to worry about knocking knobs out of position. For the most part though, I just remember where I like the knobs set.
I use rack effects (one out front and a second in the loop linked by MIDI) and the main reason is to overcome your particular concern. I have a gigging setup where I program each song in the set to a patch. The patch numbers are then written on the set list beside each song. I organise them so that for any song I am in the same bank laid out in an intelligent way so it's easiest to swap between the patches needed for that song. There are 128 patches in a GP-8 and with two sounds per song that is 64 songs. You're never going to play that many songs at a gig.
I can have a different arrangement for jamming and before a gig just upload the gigging setup into it and roll.
Nothing beats MIDI for serious gigging. For jamming it's a bit of a pita but gigging is where it counts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 12, 2012,
Most of my patches have very few effects. What I do do is change the amount of boost from the GP-8 out front and use the Quaddy in the loop as a programmable master volume. That way there is no limit to how many levels of distortion I can get out of the amp without ever having to touch the amp itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
But you can't do it with the press of one button with many different settings ready to go the same way every time. Plus I'm using dead clean boosts and cuts - all distortion is totally down to the amp. I do have an SD-1 (and a DS-1) in the GP-8 but I never turn them on. Purely clean boosts. I can boost the crap out of the preamp if I want to and still have perfectly balanced volumes. And I have EQ'ing abilities pre and post preamp.
I repeat, for gigging nothing beats MIDI.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i probably have a better amp.
This is my rig:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Roc8995
Little pieces of electrical tape with metallic shapie dots, right on the pedals. Easy to see, and it just takes a quick glance to make sure all the dots are lined up right.

This is what I've seen on most pro rigs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My amp normally has little arrows made from electrical tape as markers. I took them off when I cleaned it up for the photo. Once I get back out gigging they'll be going back on. I obviously don't need them for my effects. At a gig I just line up the amp controls and start playing, everything else is pre-programmed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I organize my effects in alphabetical order
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I organize my effects in alphabetical order

Is that by brand or by type?
Brand name, then pedal name
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
it comes down to how well you know your sown and how well you know your gear.

if you know wht you want to do, you should be able to glance at your rig and a second and know if its right or not....and fix it in a second.

tweaking everything at once, yeah might take a bit.
I memorized my settings. Its pretty simple when your notconstantly playing with you knobs.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I don't know if this is helpful since it's all straight in with no rack and no fx loop. All time based effects go in first, then overdrive. It stays fixed in my preferred order on the board with velcro. As for settings. It depends on the room I'm in. If it sounds good in one room, it might need a little tweaking to sound just right in the next room. Generally it's not THAT far off from my practice settings, so I just remember.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jan 14, 2012,
Page 1 of 2