Page 1 of 2
New from squire is another Mustang. A sig version from the dude in My Chemical Romance.

I'm kind of indifferent to the band. I don't hate the idea of sig models. But i kind of just don't like the bass :/

I think i don't like the idea of another P type short scale from Squier. The racing stripe is rad. Not really feeling the scumbag silver finish, though.

I'll definitely be checking it out, in any case.

What do you guys and gals think?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I like My Chemical Romance, but their bassist is a douche bag.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I think it's ugly.

That said, not all ugly basses are bad.

I don't generally prefer short scale, though. I'd pass on it, but that's me.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think it looks kinda good, but I'd rather stick with the older type of jazz basses.
Flake sparkle finishes can look good on some basses, but its not doing it for me on a Mustang.

I think Fender should give more attention to their export MIJ Mustangs, Squier has enough short scale options.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I think my main caveat is the overlapping. Squire has a Mustang and Bronco already. They do the "short scale P tone" already. Then there's the SS Jag. While it "IS" i P/J... the J pup is lackluster, so that, too, also functions as a ss P.

If they wanted another short scale, they should do a J/J or maybe more of a MM style... or even make it active. I would LOVE an inexpensive active short scale.

I just don't feel like it brings enough to the table, in terms of diversity.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Tostitos

I think Fender should give more attention to their export MIJ Mustangs, Squier has enough short scale options.

THIS!

Also... MEDIUM SCALES!!! MiJ Fenders are (IIRC) the only Fenders that have 32" options.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
MCR have a bassist?

COME AT ME, CONOR!

To be honest, I barely notice him anyway
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Din of Win
Also... MEDIUM SCALES!!! MiJ Fenders are (IIRC) the only Fenders that have 32" options.

IIRC the original Urge basses (both MIM and MIA) had a 32" scale length.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Gotta be honest, I detest the band and I'm no big fan of short scales (nothing against them, just don't work for me personally). I also usually dislike signature models, so this does nothing for me.
That finish seems a little... Glam rock to me haha, I'm not so keen on it. Despite my Jag being silver, its not particularly sparkly so to speak... That finish is just a little too much for me. But yeah a short scale J/J would be an awesome idea for squier!
Back in Jr. high I really dug the band.

Not really anymore though.

I dislike the look of the bass, though the pickup configuration is kind of interesting. I don't think I could rock it, just because its the dudes signature model. No offense to everyone who likes the band, but, I couldn't stomach it.
I love the look to be honest, but I'd rather have a VM Mustang than a signature.
Signatures don't really appeal to me. Except the Steve Harris P-bass but that's different.

Speaking of short scales though; I really need to try out a VM Mustang. I've been lusting after a short scale for too long now.
Meh another POS short scale bass from FMIC.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Meh another POS short scale bass from FMIC.

Oh, you.

Real talk, though:

Are MCR still relevant? The whole idea of signature basses is that by having someones name affixed to something, the name itself will bring in new revenue. So, does MCR bassist-bro have enough weight to his name to accomplish this?

Fall Out Boy were/are kind of on a similar wavelength with MCR... but Pete Wentz at least was a personality beyond just his band. People knew him, regardless of his talents as a bass player.

So i would think, you'd want to market a sig instrument of someone who's either currently trending (i.e. - Courtney Love/Kurt Cobaine Squier Vista Series in the 90s), an iconic person (i.e. - Steve Harris' Fender P), someone in between that's just passed away (i.e. - Ibanez's Paul Whats-his-name-from-Slipknot's Sig ATK), or someone with an iconic looking instrument (i.e. - Bootsy Collins' Washburn made Space Bass). Now, i GUESS, MCR-guy falls in the last category... but it kind of teeters on the edge of "just a different paint job". I guess the pickup is different, and there ARE the J. Macis/Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo Jazzmasters...

I dunno... i'm sure the marketing guys at Fender have a better tab on the pulse of the tweenie-bopper musicians of America than i do. I just overthink things sometimes
Quote by Din of Win

Fall Out Boy were/are kind of on a similar wavelength with MCR... but Pete Wentz at least was a personality beyond just his band. People knew him, regardless of his talents as a bass player.

Quote by Din of Win

Pete Wentz at least was a personality beyond just his band. People knew him, regardless of his talents as a bass player.

Quote by Din of Win

Pete Wentz, talents as a bass player.

But anyway, I don't like short scales, signatures, most Squiers, short-scales, or MCR. So it's a no from me, but I bet it'd be a nice bass if you mod it.
pinga
It's kinda cool looking but I don't relly care for the mustang and never sall the point in a shorty but still pretty cool looking I wonder how it sounds???
MCR are still popular, but they are slowly being phased out due to BvB
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The band never appealed to me, don't even know a song by them lol. Everyone I knew who liked them was asexual, with a black hoodie and eyeliner.

The bass, is just ugly as sin. I hate silver, and that with rosewood and a black headstock look dumbtarded, add in the flat black comp. stripe and it looks like you ran some electrical tape over the sparkle. That said sparkle can be cool, those italia basses and guitars, look cool with gold, red, blue, and green sparkle with pearl backing. I really wanted a marenello bass in gold, but reviews are few and far between and usually meh.

I get what you are saying about the P tone, but most of that I think comes down to the position of the pickup. I find it hard to believe a extra J pup would change much, seeing as the bronco, mustang and jag all do that said P sound with different pickups, I can't believe the jazz style pup is so outrageously different in that position than every other pickup tried. I think short scales just thump.

Myself I really want to add a neck and bridge hotrail pickup to my bronco with switches galore like a jaguar or mustang guitar meets a strat. That would make versatility. Also, that .0015 cap I put to ground from my bronco really does a good job taking some of the tubby shortscale-ness out of the tone giving it a very aggressive sound for such a small bass, which might help get a brighter jazz/ric treble ish tone.

Overall, I think we need to step back and just be thankful that this last year+ Fender has scoured mod threads or just gotten tired of the same old same old and actually started making new additions and renditions of the classic guitars and basses. Besides, eastwood, italia, rondo, hofner, and ibanez all make short scales and you have a gretsch don't you? We still have other options :
Really the only reason anybody would know of the bass player is that he's the singer's brother, whom gets 98% of the attention in the band.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by askrere

The bass, is just ugly as sin. I hate silver, and that with rosewood and a black headstock look dumbtarded, add in the flat black comp. stripe and it looks like you ran some electrical tape over the sparkle.

SCUMBAG Silver is it's official color name... Haha... inside joke from the 90's

This is the guitar that started it (which, BTW are INCREDAMAZING guitars):

Though the Stang's silver is darker.... that just makes it MORE scummy...

Myself I really want to add a neck and bridge hotrail pickup to my bronco with switches galore like a jaguar or mustang guitar meets a strat. That would make versatility. Also, that .0015 cap I put to ground from my bronco really does a good job taking some of the tubby shortscale-ness out of the tone giving it a very aggressive sound for such a small bass, which might help get a brighter jazz/ric treble ish tone.

Oh man... DO IT!!! That sounds awesome!

Overall, I think we need to step back and just be thankful that this last year+ Fender has scoured mod threads or just gotten tired of the same old same old and actually started making new additions and renditions of the classic guitars and basses. Besides, eastwood, italia, rondo, hofner, and ibanez all make short scales and you have a gretsch don't you? We still have other options :

HAD a Gretsch :/

My Bronco and ss SX Jaguar (j/j) are my only shorties now. I got a raise at work though, and my birthday's in a few weeks... so i'm thinking of treating myself to a Fender Modern Player Jaguar. I've been missing a P/J, and i want a non-active 4 string... my ATK300 is my only 34".

I srsly lost half a dozen basses, a couple cabs, and a few amps in the last few months of 2011.

/nevarforget
I saw this on notreble...and Ill say here what I said there..why would you put a Humbucker on a vintage style bass like the Mustang? Why does Mikey Way get a sig,or put another way,why are squire making countless sigs for crappy bassists? Why THAT colour? Why can't they do a Tina Weymouth stylee mustang with a dirty J pu routed in...hell,why can't they just leave Mustangs to the Fender Japan? Saying this,im sure the vm Mustang is cool,but, snobbish as it is,I luv the fact mines a real Fender (I feel I balance it with the squire jag, and accept the Mustang was originally designed as part of the student line, thus making me only a minor snob)

But yeah, it's just...frankly,an ugly stoopid version of a damn fine bass designed I think for 14 year olds who dig that band,don't have the patience to play geetar,but want a bright shiny toy that feels like a geetar (hence ss) and they can pound the root notes of their fave band (MCR) too...also,final note, and god knows why i shud know this,but last I knew the guy played Jags and Jazz basses...this adds weight to my theory I feel...maybe Im just grouchy,too much unpaid overtime makes Skippy grouchy...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Jan 13, 2012,
Squier does sig models of "crappy bassists" because they are in famous bands and make a ton of money. Fallout Boy sells millions of records and has a fan bass of teens who want to try new things and look cool. Meanwhile most bass players know about Geddy Lee, Jaco and Harris (I hate me some Jaco and Rush) and their sig models are much more expensive for bass players who do play and want one. Do you think a Squier James Jameson P would sell? Yes maybe TB would have a bass love of the month over it, but in reality all those teens aren't on TB talking about their Pete Wentz bass, so you never hear about these models and assume they are wastes.

Din I know you'd want a James Jameson though lol.

Also Skippy Fender's student lines included the music master, bronco, duo sonic, mustang bass, and music master bass. Really what makes them student models were the fact it was short scale, and relied on extra parts from say the mustang guitars body blacks, strat pickups etc, so they were a cheap and handy student sized model. At the same time late 80's and 90's saw a huge use of Jazzmasters and Jaguars which were bought cheap along with mustangs even though the Jazz and Jag were actually Leo's cream of the crop, but so unused compared to strats and teles they were pawn shop forgotten secrets. So in they were the cheap models.

I actually read a big thread about SS basses on TB or TDPRI can't remember, but it came down to a older guy (aka around when The Beatles were together) who explained, when it comes to acoustic/classical guitar, student models are extremely common, because who sets up a 4-8 year old kid with a full size dreadnaught with .12-.56 strings? What he commented on is how bass players often stigmatize short scale basses as cheap and sub par for being student models, when really they are what the name actually says, student models, for small beginners, transitioning guitarists and bass players who just like the speed and feel and sound.

So basically their is a difference in budget model (squier jag) and student model (fender mustang).

That said I have a japanese mustang and like my bronco the budgetest of fender budget models I think more.
^ Cheers for the history dude,always nice to get some more info...I did know a little about the whole thing but as I say, it's good to learn more...I understand the premise of squire making crappy sig basses,hence my theory at the end,I just...needed to rant about it,the mustang is one of my fave basses,and I feel it's been a tad besmirched for nout but a quick dollar...grim times
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'd buy it if it came with a different style of pickup (I'd take any other style of pickup over that soapbar) and if it didn't have the moronic racing stripe. Maybe sales will tank and they'll clear them out for cheap--I'd get one for modding if it was in the $150 range.

Silver flake gets me every time and I've been craving a short scale lately.
Skippy, the history of music, esp. Rock, which fender essentially follows is so weird. A history buff myself, I am constantly amazed at how much is forgotten over less than 80 years. Most electrical music history is more folklore, tall tale and myth than truth it seems like a lot of the time.
Cheers man,Im a history freak too,and I knew a lot about how the Mustangs and such came about, using parts from other models,and ergo,wat the student line was,but it was really good and helpful of you to condense it into one concise and well written post...I guess the folklore bit comes in due to the fact these thigns are used to creat art u know? people need that myhtos,throw in the huge personalities of rock stars and bingo!!legends are born...keeping this post on topic: Still a horrid,pointless bass
Quote by the humanity
This thread is a good history read. worth that bass, which is pure ugly.

without the stripes and with a red tort pickguard and maple neck it could have been pretty tight.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
This thread is a good history read. worth that bass, which is pure ugly.

without the stripes and with a red tort pickguard and maple neck it could have been pretty tight.

I do like spreading some knowledge

silver sparkle head stock, maple and red, freaky cool combo. Or maybe red or green or yellow pearl guard.
Quote by askrere
I do like spreading some knowledge

silver sparkle head stock, maple and red, freaky cool combo. Or maybe red or green or yellow pearl guard.

green pearl? Could work.

now if they made it fullscale, gave it a maple body, gave that top horn some proper length, added another pickup, made it PJ, made that neck all wenge, active electronics, and 24 frets, we would really have something.

now what would that look like?

oh yeah...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by askrere

Fender did do a Jamerson sig. It was a straight '62 Reissue with a different neck plate and some fancy case candy. That's it.

I dig this one. Looks really cool IMO. Probably wouldn't pay more than $200 for it though.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
That is just the most gaudy bass I've ever seen. Even Daisyrock would pass on that one.
Quote by askrere
Squier does sig models of "crappy bassists" because they are in famous bands and make a ton of money. Fallout Boy sells millions of records and has a fan bass of teens who want to try new things and look cool. Meanwhile most bass players know about Geddy Lee, Jaco and Harris (I hate me some Jaco and Rush) and their sig models are much more expensive for bass players who do play and want one. Do you think a Squier James Jameson P would sell? Yes maybe TB would have a bass love of the month over it, but in reality all those teens aren't on TB talking about their Pete Wentz bass, so you never hear about these models and assume they are wastes.

Also Skippy Fender's student lines included the music master, bronco, duo sonic, mustang bass, and music master bass. Really what makes them student models were the fact it was short scale, and relied on extra parts from say the mustang guitars body blacks, strat pickups etc, so they were a cheap and handy student sized model. At the same time late 80's and 90's saw a huge use of Jazzmasters and Jaguars which were bought cheap along with mustangs even though the Jazz and Jag were actually Leo's cream of the crop, but so unused compared to strats and teles they were pawn shop forgotten secrets. So in they were the cheap models.

I actually read a big thread about SS basses on TB or TDPRI can't remember, but it came down to a older guy (aka around when The Beatles were together) who explained, when it comes to acoustic/classical guitar, student models are extremely common, because who sets up a 4-8 year old kid with a full size dreadnaught with .12-.56 strings? What he commented on is how bass players often stigmatize short scale basses as cheap and sub par for being student models, when really they are what the name actually says, student models, for small beginners, transitioning guitarists and bass players who just like the speed and feel and sound.

So basically their is a difference in budget model (squier jag) and student model (fender mustang).

That said I have a japanese mustang and like my bronco the budgetest of fender budget models I think more.

Such good info!

Also, Re: a Jamerson Sig... a true sig would need to have the action, like 1.5" off of the fret board and factory-terrible intonation. Haha!

On the real, aesthetically, a Bob Babbit sig would entice me more... Oly white '62 P bass with a tort guard... YES!
Quote by Din of Win
Such good info!

Also, Re: a Jamerson Sig... a true sig would need to have the action, like 1.5" off of the fret board and factory-terrible intonation. Haha!

On the real, aesthetically, a Bob Babbit sig would entice me more... Oly white '62 P bass with a tort guard... YES!

Thank you. Now inform me about this scumbag silver color please

Although I am a fan of the white and tort with a maple neck, I think part of what makes sigs interesting (albeit sometimes ugly duds such as this) is when they are something you don't normally see or get easily. I don't particularly care to get a geddy lee bass, nor a merle haggard tele which is just a standard tele with texas special pickups (I have that anyways). Of course if someone is just into the fact they have a replica of their idols instrument it doesn't really matter.

Just saying a lake placid mexican fender and mirror guard are cheaper than a Steve Harris model. But you won't find a glitter stang easily.
Quote by askrere
I don't particularly care to get a geddy lee bass, nor a merle haggard tele which is just a standard tele with texas special pickups (I have that anyways). Of course if someone is just into the fact they have a replica of their idols instrument it doesn't really matter.

Just nitpicking here, but the neck on the Geddy Lee is a pretty stand-apart feature. I get what you're saying about unique sig models though, and they have plenty of things like the Tony Franklin fretless, Marcus Miller's sig, and the Reggie Hamilton sig mixed in with the marginally-upgraded-versions-of-standard-models (*cough cough* Roger Waters P *cough cough*).

I wish Fender would bring back the Urge II.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Just nitpicking here, but the neck on the Geddy Lee is a pretty stand-apart feature. I get what you're saying about unique sig models though, and they have plenty of things like the Tony Franklin fretless, Marcus Miller's sig, and the Reggie Hamilton sig mixed in with the marginally-upgraded-versions-of-standard-models (*cough cough* Roger Waters P *cough cough*).

I wish Fender would bring back the Urge II.

Oh I knew the neck was different, but that was the thing to me, it's made that way for him, so it's really not a immediate selling feature to my mind. Yea the Marcus Miller is my idea of a really nice workable signature piece.

I'm just a huge no no fan of the sig idea and relic'd stuff. Maybe it's because I look at it all from a technical standpoint, and don't have a pant tent for any artists actual gear; but I just cringe knowing I could make my own signature model

Have to say though, those cort Gene Simmons bass sigs are the top of the dumb signature list. I can see some horribly over weight kid pressuring his mom and dad into buy that battle axe "axe" monstrosity, and rocking out in those big chain covered goth pants and a fake vintage kiss t-shirt.
I find most sigs completely capitalistic, but honesty, I'd love an Urge II and wouldn't turn down a Geddy Lee if someone handed one to me.

However, Dean is the absolutely ***** when it comes to exploiting the sig market.
I don't think that bass looks all that terrible, althought it might play terrible....

And I guess I'm kinda weary of what a sparkle finish from the Squier factory would actually look like. So maybe it does actually does look terrible....
Page 1 of 2