Well, as the title say's, yesterday, I was playing fine and at a moderate pace all day. We're talking around 110-120 BPM 16th notes. Obviously, I wasn't doing it constantly, but I could do it when I wanted to.

Today, I can't even play cleanly and comfortably at 80 BPM. What happened? I mean, my pick feels like it's pushing through the strings rather than gliding over them. Obviously, I'm using too much of it. I'm using more of my arm to play. I'm tense. Everything that can go wrong, is going wrong. What should I do? Is it that I simply haven't warmed up enough yet?
It's just one of those days dude, it happens to all of us all the time. One day you play great, the next day, not so well. Idk what it is or how to fix it, just wait till tomorrow and it might go away. I think it's like a mental block or something....but that's just a guess.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's just one of those days dude, it happens to all of us all the time. One day you play great, the next day, not so well. Idk what it is or how to fix it, just wait till tomorrow and it might go away. I think it's like a mental block or something....but that's just a guess.
This. But remember: if you feel like you are playin' sloppy one day, u know you can do better anyway!
Sometimes it's entirely external factors such as not getting enough sleep, not concentrating because something else is bothering you or not drinking enough water. However, more often than not, this is down to your mental state - if you start off a day badly and you don't take it particularly well it'll have an impact on your playing. Quite often when this happened to me I used to try really hard to play really fast stuff just to prove to myself that I hadn't completely lost it, however this is the absolute wrong thing to do, as you'll fail at that too, and it's just a huge downward spiral. The best way to break out of it is to take a short break, then come back to it and start by playing slow, easy stuff.

Of course it could also be that you didn't warm up and went straight into stuff you find challenging, which while it will get your fingers moving, will pretty much mean that you play the challenging stuff badly for the rest of the session.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Warm up.

and warm up at the right pace.

Dont try go fast straight away. Just play some simple exercises, loosen up, and in not to much time you should be where you want to be.

Shouldnt take longer than 20 minutes. Maybe 10 will do it.
Also, regression to the mean.

If you have an unusually good day where everything is clicking, you should expect the next day to be worse. Your best recent day of practice ISN'T your mean level of performance.
Even the best athletes don't break records every performance. It just happens man. Just keep practicing until even your "bad" days are still pretty good. That's just the way I see it.
Quote by yearzero
Even the best athletes don't break records every performance. It just happens man. Just keep practicing until even your "bad" days are still pretty good. That's just the way I see it.

Of course by that point your bad days will still seem relatively quite bad

I do occasionally wonder whether my bad days are me playing worse or just that I'm being more perceptive..
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by llBlackenedll
Of course by that point your bad days will still seem relatively quite bad

I do occasionally wonder whether my bad days are me playing worse or just that I'm being more perceptive..

I'd take Paul Gilbert's worst over my best any day

But you raise a good point. I once had a teacher point out to me that I wasn't getting worse, I was still at the same level, I was just becoming better aware of all the mistakes I was making. 8 years later and I still think I suck, but compared to my first few years of playing I've made great strides

Point is OP: don't sweat it. You have good days you have bad days. That's life. AS long as you're having fun playing, and keep practicing you'll be alright.
Last edited by yearzero at Jan 12, 2012,
Sometimes this happens to me, most of the time for me, my hands were cold, and i just needed to play around for a bit until my hands warmed up.
Practicing is all about the spread.

You practice to continually improve on your overall average. When the stars align and Mercury is in the constellation of Orion you occassionally get a complete flash of brilliance, but that wouldn't be your average day to day level of practice.