I would just like to note i don't believe the way i hold the pick is really hurting me but i would like to know from others if its is a bad way to hold it nonetheless, unfortunate i don't have a camera to show it but its not hard to explain, when i hold the pick the pick is kind of slanted in between my fingers so the tip is kind pointing towards the head stock, so when i pick the strings i'm still pick with the tip of the pick but also a little bit of the side of the tip of the pick, as i said i haven't come across any problems but was wondering from the guitar experts if this is a big no no or if its not really going to matter, thanks!
If it works for you, it works for you. However, it's probably gonna get harder to pick lead lines and fast stuff accurately when you use all of that pick, so it'd be good to try and use it normally imo.
If you can play what you want to play picking like that and it doesn't hurt there is no problem with that.
alright, i c hoke up on the pick pretty good to. so even though i'm playing a little bit with the side of the tip of the pick i'm still not using a lot of pick at all
Using more of the pick will likely result in more force against it when playing the strings, which means that your pick has to push the strings more rather than glide over them; it could, potentially cause a problem when you move on to faster stuff. Another problem with having it slightly slanted like that is that it makes it more susceptible to rotating gradually while you're playing.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
In my opinion if Friedman can pick the way he does and sound amazing then anything is up to preference.
Quote by dascalmer
In my opinion if Friedman can pick the way he does and sound amazing then anything is up to preference.

Friedman completely changes up his picking when going from metal style rhythm to lead. His picking is poor.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Friedman completely changes up his picking when going from metal style rhythm to lead. His picking is poor.

It was sarcasm either way.