hey

list me some small (5 watts or less) valve combo's with an fx loop (reverb too?)

thanks!
I would be happy to give you some suggestions, but you need to be more specific as to what kind of tones you are looking for and what your budget is.
Vox night train, Jet city and maybe a Laney? Check them out.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
has to be a combo...
i'd preferably like a 12" speaker?

i don't need too much distortion, love the cleans...
If you aren't using distortion from the preamp why do you need an FX loop? Have you got old studio gear from the 80's that will only work at line level?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i've always liked to run delays in fx loop?

would this benefit on a larger amp not be replicated on a small 5wer ?
The reason you run delay in the loop is so each repeat has the same amount of distortion from the preamp. If the distortion is coming from pedals or the power amp then that isn't an issue. If you are running the amp clean then it has no effect at all unless you have a delay that needs line level to function properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The reason you run delay in the loop is so each repeat has the same amount of distortion from the preamp. If the distortion is coming from pedals or the power amp then that isn't an issue. If you are running the amp clean then it has no effect at all unless you have a delay that needs line level to function properly.

+1

Don't get a low wattage amp for high gain. Not sure of your needs.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you are looking mainly for cleans you may want to take a look at an amp with a little bit more wattage. I'm personally a huge fan of the VOX AC15, and they can be found pretty cheap used.

You should still tell us what type of tones you are going for, and what your budget is though. Otherwise we are just guessing.
well i have a laney vc30 at the moment... for sale as it's far too loud for me with my situation these days

my budget is maximum of 400 quid i think, used preferably to get the value

i play mainly math/mathrock/punk/indie(?)

if there was such a thing as a 5w vox ac30 i'd be all over it...
I still say AC15 then, not sure about how prices translate over there but I think it's in your budget. Keep in mind 15 watts is not much louder than 5 watts.
yeh but surely it is that much louder?

have many people extensively played the fender champ 600 or vox ac4's?
Vox AC4 breaks up real quick, so not the greatest if you need cleans at any sort of volume. I haven't played the champ, but I would think it's better suited for cleans.
Look into a Champ or VHT Special 6.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
the champ has a 6" speaker?

i liked the idea of the ac4 as it can be attenuated down low for cranking it?
The attenuation feature on the AC4 really sucked tone in my opinion, but it did quiet it down. Go play it and see if you like it!
Quote by daverichards
the champ has a 6" speaker?

i liked the idea of the ac4 as it can be attenuated down low for cranking it?

So what if it has a 6 inch speaker? My little SS amp that I put a 8 inch Jensen MOD 8 into is a loud mofo with lots of low end for a 8 inch speaker. Don't ditch the amp just cause it has a small speaker.
Quote by daverichards
yeh but surely it is that much louder?

have many people extensively played the fender champ 600 or vox ac4's?

u can pick up a brand new champ 600 for about $120 or a used for about $90ish... and at that price its a steal hell even at a few more its an AWESOME amp. no fx loop, no reverb but it stays relatively clean with a strat for quite a while and is not really a high gain amp at all. Its currently my favorite low wattage amp. The 6 in speaker doesn't bother me, and if it really really bothers u, u can always get an extension cab.
You can always plug a Champ into a bigger speaker cab. An FX loop on a Champ would be ridiculous. On a non-mv amp an FX loop is a gimick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tubemeister from H&K is 18 watts, but can be lowered to 5, or even 1 watt. It's a nice little amp, I have one for home use.
Quote by daverichards
has to be a combo...

Why? You're much more likely to get everything you need on a head. Pair it with a lightweight 1x10 or 1x12 cab and you've got a rig that's more portable than a 1x12" combo.

Personally, I'd go for the Hayden Mini Mofo.
Quote by kyle62
Oh yes, this.

The only exception is if you are intending to use rack gear (especially old rack gear) that prefers to see line level. I fully intend to include an FX loop on the JTM45 I am planning to build this year. That's because the long term plan is to include a Quadraverb inside the cabinet (it's going to be a Gary Moore machine so a Quaddy and a Guv'nor built right in). They will work ok with guitar levels but if you can feed line levels into them they are as quiet as a mouse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification