So basically when i bought my first guitar many years ago, the first one i picked up was a lefty guitar because im left handed and it felt natural. The guy in the store said "trust me, get a right handed guitar and your technique will progress much faster." He was right. I can probably outplay the majority of UG with my left hand in terms of legato--tapping, sweep tapping, sweep picking, and all the other left hand techniques are, by this point, nailed down and i can do them no problem.

My problem, however, is my right hand and picking. My fingerpicking is decent enough, but my alternate, economy, and trem picking are all way, way behind my left hand to the point where it cant keep up. It's frustrating as all hell because it seems like no matter how much i practice, i cant improve my right hand technique, and it's holding back my playing. I have this tendency to try and articulate the pick with my fingers, as opposed to forearm or wrist, and it leads to sloppy playing. I've looked for lessons in my area that specialize in right hand technique, but it's all to no avail.

Does anyone have any good tips or resources for improving right hand technique only?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I'm in the same boat; originally I wanted to play left-handed but we only have right-handed guitars, so I forced myself. Left hand progress has been excellent - my finger strength has become incredible and techniques which should take months to get right took weeks. Right hand? Well, I've improved it considerably and alternate picking isn't too much of a problem any more and I can play reasonably fast. Problem is that I get tired so start using legato techniques when I shouldn't, I also hit the strings way too hard which results in me having to use thicker strings.

Tips? Well by the sounds of it you're far more accomplished than me so I have no advice.
I had a similar problem, I felt like my right hand was failing me, I just practiced some good picking exercises and in months I could pick like a pro.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
I'm also a left-hander, playing right-handed and have found myself in the same situation. Still waiting for someone to help me..
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by Acϵ♠
My problem, however, is my right hand and picking. My fingerpicking is decent enough, but my alternate, economy, and trem picking are all way, way behind my left hand to the point where it cant keep up. It's frustrating as all hell because it seems like no matter how much i practice, i cant improve my right hand technique, and it's holding back my playing. I have this tendency to try and articulate the pick with my fingers, as opposed to forearm or wrist, and it leads to sloppy playing. I've looked for lessons in my area that specialize in right hand technique, but it's all to no avail.

Does anyone have any good tips or resources for improving right hand technique only?

I'm a lefty playing right handed. I've become very good at right hand technique over the years through solid practice.

One thing that I found really helped my right hand technique was working on string skipping. It's challenging because it forces you to use economical movements while muting multiple strings at once. After practicing string skipping, I've found that it's really improved all of my right handed techniques, since I was forced to focus on precision and muting while moving across multiple strings.
D'awwww im not alone

Quote by Geldin
I'm a lefty playing right handed. I've become very good at right hand technique over the years through solid practice.

One thing that I found really helped my right hand technique was working on string skipping. It's challenging because it forces you to use economical movements while muting multiple strings at once. After practicing string skipping, I've found that it's really improved all of my right handed techniques, since I was forced to focus on precision and muting while moving across multiple strings.

I can tell you that im awful at string skipping, so it's a good place to start. Do you know of any exercises i can do or songs to learn using a lot of string skipping?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
There's a really great sticky at the top of this forum.

Here's the stuff I use:
In Protest the Hero's Turn Soonest to the Sea, there's a great arpeggio section at around 3:34 that I arranged for string skipping practice. I'll upload the passage at the bottom of this post.
I've done the same for their song Bone Marrow, which I'll also upload.

Usually, 4-string sweep arpeggios work really well for string skipping, since they fit a 8th or 16th note pattern really well.

Another exercise, which I've written up. It's pretty challenging, since it has linear and arpeggiated runs, but it's good practice.
Attachments:
protest_the_hero_bone_marrow.gp5
protest_the_hero_turn_soonest_to_the_sea.gp5
String skipping exercise.pdf
I'm lefty and play righty. My left hand is my issue... Until it comes to stamina anyways. I play righty and lefty(mainly righty by far though) I like the way it feels to play lefty but I'm better at playing righty and it's easier to find guitars that feel "right"

When I'm struggling with my picking when playing lefty, I just slow down a bit and play some songs I love and play them over and over until I have the picking pattern down perfectly. Not only does it help me learn the song more thoroughly but it helps my picking a lot. Maybe something to try...
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!