Page 1 of 2
Hi, would the Peavey 6505 be better than any Bugera? with any i mean like the 6262,333xl,1960,1990.

and why the hell is the 6505 combo half the price of the head?

oh yeah and what is the Pre/post gain. and I heard the Peavey has an build in Pre-amp, what does that do. I found unclear awnsers on the internet.

I have an epiphone explorer with EMG pickups. Like to play metallica, don't really gig, but I want to later.
Last edited by teli1337 at Jan 12, 2012,
for the price of a 6505 112 you could get a bugera 333xl used or a 6262 used, a 120w head mind you and a cabinet and Bugera Half Stack > Peavey 6505 112,

ontop of the that the 6505 combos are garbage. they sound like shit, imo. nothing like thier big bro.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The Peavey is going to be a lot more reliable and less likely to spontaneously combust.

There have been a few threads about Bugera lately, and the general opinion is while they may claim to have sorted their reliability issues, most people don't yet believe it as that sort of trust takes time, and most of those who buy them experience some sort of problem so there are obviously still problems with their quality control.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The Peavey is going to be a lot more reliable and less likely to spontaneously combust.

There have been a few threads about Bugera lately, and the general opinion is while they may claim to have sorted their reliability issues, most people don't yet believe it as that sort of trust takes time, and most of those who buy them experience some sort of problem so there are obviously still problems with their quality control.

+1

How much are you trying to spend?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by GaryBillington

ive had absolutely no problems with my 6260 head
ive owned a 333xl for 2 years now and never had a problem with it. I gig with it, practice with my band with it, and record with it. i Changed the tubes once and its probally due for some new ones soon. People who say bugeras are unrealiable probally have never owned one and just go off of what other people tell them. Because every bugera owner ive ever talked to has never had a problem with thier amp lol.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by lemurflames
The anecdotal evidence of one Bugera owner.

Oh really? what about the guy right above me "ive never had any problems with my 6260"

I own one, i have for a while. Ive talked to people, not on the internet in person, who own them, and theyve never had problems. Maybe old ass ones start on fire, but 05's and up are good.

Do you own or have owned one? If so please tell me otherwise, because id love to hear it.
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The 6505 combo is nothing compared to the head version. Muddy sounding and...bleh lol. Iv tried both and the head is loads better.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by OurRequiem
Oh really? what about the guy right above me "ive never had any problems with my 6260"

One just became two.

Quote by OurRequiem
People who say bugeras are unrealiable probally have never owned one and just go off of what other people tell them.

I think my last comment was pretty clear that was exactly what I was doing - I'm not ashamed to admit it. Just summarising several other threads to provide advice in this one

Personally I hope time proves you & rickyj right. The amount of amp you get for the price you pay is amazing, if time proves that their quality control has been resolved I'll seriously consider one next time I upgrade my amp. For now though, I'm still sceptical purely because of their reputation.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington
Personally I hope time proves you & rickyj right.

I agree completely. I don't want you to have any problems with your gear.

But two working amplifiers don't represent the stability and reliability of the entire brand.
the 6505 2x12 combo is very nice, the 6505+ 1x12 combo has had plenty of problems recently.

I own a 333 head, and no the build quality is not as high as the Peavey version (XXX), but I have had absolutely no problems in 2 yrs.

And like said above better is a relitive term is the build quality of the Chinese 6505+ combo better than Bugera, I seriously doubt it, they are probably about equal.

I think that either a bugera 6260/Peavey 6505+ would do you just fine, it comes down to which you prefer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by leony03
The 6505 combo is nothing compared to the head version. Muddy sounding and...bleh lol. Iv tried both and the head is loads better.

Speaker swap, pup swap, tube swap.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Speaker swap, pup swap, tube swap.

This. I swapped the ruby tubes for some JJ's when I got my 112 and I only play it through my 2x12 cabinet and it sounds fantastic. The sheffield speaker you get with it is garbage. Imho.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
The regular 6505/5150 2x12 is a fine amp by any measure, and it's USA made to boot. For the price of a new 6505+ 1x12 you can pick up a used 6505/5150 2x12 and have enough cash for a tube swap. Possibly a speaker swap if you go used.

The 1x12 is an alright amp I guess, but it's really not like the head version. And the tube Vypyrs sound more like a 6505+ than the 112 I think. I just think there's way better options for that exact sound than the 112 they're offering.

Oh Peavey and yours numbers, making things complicated to read in a forum..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The 6505+ 112 and any Bugera are all made in china and all have way too many problems for how much they cost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GaryBillington

You're not 100% guaranteed to have issues, but you are probably 100x more likely to have a issue with a bugera than you are with peavey. It's just too random.

You get people who have no issues at all, you get people who have lights break or circuit need to be replaced after a few months, you get people who have it be dead right out of the box. I have never heard any of the later issues happen with a peavey that wasn't abused beyond the typical abuse they take.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 13, 2012,
I dont have any personal experience with the bugera kit but I recently bought a peavey 6505+ 112 combo and can tell you about my experience with that. I actually posted up a review of one in here and go into quite a bit of detail about the kit if you want to hunt it down. The combo is made in china and the head is made in usa so that is where the big difference in price comes from. I planned to take my amp out gigging as a more portable option than carting around a rack and 4x12 so I spent quite a bit of money getting some trusted techs to pull it apart and snoop around for 'issues'. I also wanted them to check the bias and swap the stock speaker and tubes for better ones. The techs found the bias current set to near double what it should be in the factory. The tubes were going to die off in no time in actual use. Also one of the boards needed cleaned up as it had residue on it. The back of the cab was put on before the tolex glue had dried in the factory so it was glued to the amp! It shows that these things are being put together very quickly in the factory but then so are pretty much all mass produced products these days. In stock set up the amp sounded very harsh and fizzy to me and ridiculously over gained. The treble and presence needed to be cut down to 2 to tame the top end. Now these amps are billed as aggressive metal/rock amps and I understand that but the one I had was just over the top gain wise so much so that the clean channel is never genuinely clean. It serves fine as a crunch channel but if you want clean sounds from it - forget it. It breaks up at anything beyond 1/2.. That is half of 1 not half way round the scale at 5 out of 10. This all sounds very negative but it now sounds like a great amp and I am sure it is now going to be a very reliable machine. I swapped the sheffield speaker for an eminence swamp thang speaker and the bias was set to the correct level after the bias resistor was replaced. The power tubes were swapped for mesas and the preamp tubes were also swapped for better ones. The v1 tube was replaced with a lower gain 12ay7 and that has really helped along with fixing the bias and replacing the speaker. So to sum up - If you were going to get a 6505+ I would say at least get it into a tech to check the bias if nothing else as I am pretty sure that many are leaving the factory with it running way too hot if may amp is anything to go by.
I guess the reliability on the 6505-112 has been well, unreliable, to a lot of people but nothing that could not be fixed easily as far as I can remember. I suppose sometimes bad batches of products get released into the market accidentally & then the whole brand suffers a reputation stain.

Anyone find it a bit odd that the new bugera mark & rectifier clones are taking way too long to get FCC approval in US, while the peavey clones got approved sooner at their release time?
I've had a 6505+ for about 9 months now and I have not had a SINGLE problem with mine. It also sounds great to my ears. Not harsh and fizzy/muddy like some people say. Mine is punchy and brutal, especially with a Tubescreamer on. A good set of pickups certainly helps though.

I just bought an Eminence Governor speaker and I'm on the fence as to whether I like the new sound. The stock Sheffield has a lot more low end that I miss. I wouldn't say it was muddy either. More like "warmer."
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM - What about building an extension cab for the Sheffield and use it WITH the Goevernor? Also, would love to hear some clips with the governor..

Sorry - Back on topic... Does bugera warranty their products? I mean, i would imagine if you had a problem with one of their amps they would make good on it no? Any body have experience with that? I've had my 6505+ 112 for about a year now and have had no problems at all with it. Its played great since day 1.
Yeah, you get a 12month RTB repair warranty. But depending on who the distributor is and where it's located then it can be a pain in the arse. The first time mine went it was fixed by a local tech who worked for them. The second time it was sent back to the supplier in Melbourne, only to discover 10 weeks later that they hadn't repaired it and couldn't because they'd gotten rid of all the necessary parts.
In general I have always found my peavey gear to be very reliable and sturdy and their tech support staff do get back to you if you ask them questions. Cant say the same for rocktron however. I asked for a fill in on why a velocity power amp had burst into flames from brand new when I sent it back to them and I never heard from them again. Sorry getting off thread here - if you bought a peavey 6505+ 112 and did nothing more than pay a tech to look at and set the bias which would be maybe 80 dollars/pounds then you would end up with a great amp in my view. The stock sheffield seaker is fine really and the stock tubes are rubys and they are supposed to be pretty reliable so you could fare much worse. I just swapped my tubes and speaker to tame the top and a bit but some folk may love that edgy sound. There is no shortage of cut with this amp in stock trim thats for sure and it wasn't muddy. Bias was way off though but an easy fix. I have heard mixed reports about the bugera stuff although I havent used it myself so personally I would go peavey before bugera if I had to choose between the two with my own money.
Quote by lemurflames
I agree completely. I don't want you to have any problems with your gear.

But two working amplifiers don't represent the stability and reliability of the entire brand.

How many datapoints do you have to the contrary?

Or you just have a lot of folks in forums repeating other stories?

I'd say your response is at least as anecdotal as theirs...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
bugera reliability is pretty bad
but the i doubt the 6505 112 combo is much better either jus sayin
You are all mad. Bugera are much better if you live in a cold climate because they double as a heater. If you live in Alice Springs or Death Valley get the Peavey, you don't need the extra fireplace there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its a budget amp as well.
When people talk about paying for the build quality they arent talking about the 6505 112 they are talking about the usa made 212 and the heads.

Ok it might be a bit more reliable then a bugera but overall its not going to be of much higher quality since its also a cheap MIC amp just like a bugera..
Ahh, now i understand your comment. I have to admit, I am pretty happy with the stability of mine. I beat it up pretty good dragging it around as its heavey as phoke. Its pretty predictable in terms of sound quality. As in, when i turn it on i know what its going to sound like. I cant say i know much about the craftsmanship of the amp but it doesnt appear they cheaped out anywhere on it. No crappy peeling of the tolex or loose screws or burnt out lights or anything. I've heard alot of bugera's power LED burning out fairly quickly. Obviously doesnt effect its performance but i think my nice bright Peavey light cause it lets everyone know i have a Peavey and i mean business.

HAHAHAHA - before you flame i thought it was funny as i just watched the apple macbook Wheel commercial. lolzerz "i like that all my emails say sent from my macbook so everyone knows i have a mac"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
Quote by Cathbard
You are all mad. Bugera are much better if you live in a cold climate because they double as a heater. If you live in Alice Springs or Death Valley get the Peavey, you don't need the extra fireplace there.

That's true versatility
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Random3
The combo and head are exactly the same.

Not exactly, your shy 2 power tubes, wich does affect the sound slightly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2