Okay, so I am looking at getting a hollowbody (or semi-hollow) but don't know which is the best for me. I want it to sound big and full when unplugged so I can bring it to a party or bonfire and jam without being drowned out by acoustics, but I don't want a lot of low end and distortion from the pickups because I would be using it for worship at my church from time to time. I know a lot of the companies, but I am more interested in sound quality so just tell me what's best, not most popular. Keep in mind that I'm looking to spend under $1,000 if possible. Thanks.
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

A semi-hollow isn't going to do what you want. Even most full-hollows, at least the ones you're likely thinking of, aren't going to be loud enough acoustically. Most full hollows with pickups mounted to the top aren't ever meant to be played acoustically.

Something like the Gretsch G400 is going to work. D'Angelico has a few models at the top of your price range, and something like the Godin 5th Avenue (NOT the Kingpin version with the pickups - again, significant acoustic volume drop there) or a Hofner HTC are good. The Gretsch is my favorite of all of those - definitely the loudest acoustically, though the D'Angelicos are another matter plugged in.

Basically, you're going to have to get an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup, or just an acoustic archtop and add your own pickup. Almost every common guitar with a magnetic pickup is stricty meant to be plugged in, and won't have much acoustic volume. Things like the Ibanez Artcores, the Gretsch 5120, Epiphone Emperor, etc, are going to be hopelessly quiet next to an acoustic.

PM me if you're interested in a used G400.
I understand that they won't be as loud as an acoustic, I Ididn't expect that. But Compared to a solid body that you would't likely hear at all is what I meant. I guess I could've been more clear.
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

de'armond x-155
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Peerless do really good guitars for their cost, from experience. You could easily pick up a very decent one for under $1000
Quote by john.pratt1321
I understand that they won't be as loud as an acoustic, I Ididn't expect that. But Compared to a solid body that you would't likely hear at all is what I meant. I guess I could've been more clear.

I understood what you meant, but most electric hollowbodies are not much louder than solidbodies, acoustically. You will be completely drowned out by an acoustic with any semi-hollow and almost any mag pickup hollowbody. My Gretsch Falcon has a massive hollow body and I've got to hit the strings pretty hard for it to be heard next to an acoustic.

Of course, it depends a lot on what you're playing with. A fingerstyle guitarist on a 00 size body might be ok if you've got a hollowbody and pick hard. A strummer with a dreadnought, and you're toast.
yea they arent that much louder than a solid body guitar, actually a pine or strat with fresh strings sounds louder than any semi and some full hollow guitars acoustically. I would maybe look into an ovation, some of them are just as small as full hollow electrics.
There is no Electric guitar that does what you say you want. You want an Acoustic Electric.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I've been a fan of Jon Kammerer Guitars for several years now- I own 5*- and his hollowbodies use a parabolic curve to help focus the sound outward. They're not as loud as a true acoustic, but they're among the loudest hollowbodies I've ever played. His standard models start at $995, as I recall.

He's having some malware problems with his website, but the first link below should get you his contact info.

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

Until then these other links let you know a bit more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kammerer_Guitars
http://experiencedinstruments.com/pages/Kammerer.htm
http://redstatechief.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/guitar-lust-jon-kammerer-hollow-body-electric/

* Among mine are 2 hollowbodies- that maple prototype seen at Experienced Instruments' website and a blueburst double-cutaway with cats-eye sound holes...it looks a bit like an SG.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2012,
darkdevil makes a good point.

roc is also right. sure a 335 or something is louder, but vey very small amount. sure if your in a quiet room, it seems a lot louder. in a bon fire scenario, you will not hear it.

you need an acoustic guitr or some form of portable or pocket amp. besides, why bring a nice electric like that to the beach or bonfire or something?
I know what you're talking about I was looking for the same thing a while back, but it's true that hollowbodies really are way too quiet for anything more than practicing or singing to 1 girl alone. I was looking for a hollowbody because I like the way electric guitars play compared to acoustics, so if this is the reason you're looking for this, get a high end acoustic as you'll find they play nearly as easily as electric guitars.
Quote by Roc8995

Basically, you're going to have to get an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup...Things like the...Epiphone Emperor, etc, are going to be hopelessly quiet next to an acoustic.

I thought the Emperor had a floating pickup?

You can probably find an acoustic with a decent-sounding electric pickup on it - hybrid guitars, designed to work well for either. A Taylor T5 (there are a couple cosmetic variations that can be had in your price range) may be right up your alley. Not quite as loud as some acoustics, but a heck of a lot louder than any semi-hollow, or most hollows.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jan 13, 2012,
For slightly more than 1K you could get a Gibson Midtown Standard/Custom.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Hollowbodies don't have the same sound hole as an acoustic, which is why they won't be anywhere near as loud.

You could look into a small amp, I have one of these and it's pretty good, really light and doesn't use a lot of battery power

Check out my fitness blog here