Well, I am thinking about buying an amp and I found a considerably cheap (400aprox&euro valve one:
Marshall DSL 401

I was thinking about getting MG50DFX but then I saw the one above. But I've got doubts...

-Is the Marshall DSL 401 any good? Will it sound nice? Better than solid state?
-How does the overheating thing work? Will it do so? (I play a lot).
-How often will the valves need changing?

My style is Malmsteen but also all the way to Bowie. I play blues, neoclassical, classical music...

What do you think?
Anyone can tell you I hate the DSL but for that price (and sure as hell against the MG) I'd say go for it.

It's a decent amp but I wouldn't really call it a Marshall. That being said it's way better than SS, especially the MG series.

Overheating thing? It gets warm but it shouldn't over heat unless you wrap it in a blanket with the heat on.

Valve replacement kind of goes on how much you play it. I change all of mine every year but other people do it at different intervals.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
A lot better than solid state. Overheating is not really an issue on the later models, Marshall fixed that (There were some issues before 2008 or something like that...) Valves need changing when they need.. Hard to say exact time, but I can say that they last for more than a year even if you play for like 6 hours a day.

I've got that same combo you are considering. I can say it's enough for me to play metal and perform decent cleans. It won't handle the most distorted and saturated stuff without sounding a little bad. However, the amp sounds really awesome on OD1 channel boosted with a Tubescreamer-like pedal.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 12, 2012,
Better than the MG, yes. Never played one personally, thought the head versions of it sound great, but no idea how good the combo is. I heard some people say that the combo version isn't really great though.

Overheating shouldn't actually happen in case you have a well-functioning amp.

Valves need to be changed about every 1 or 2 years, depending on how much and how loud you play, or in case a tube blows.

For your style it would work IMO, but also be sure to take a look at other amps in your price range, just go to a shop and play everything you can afford.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Anyone can tell you I hate the DSL but for that price (and sure as hell against the MG) I'd say go for it.

It's a decent amp but I wouldn't really call it a Marshall. That being said it's way better than SS, especially the MG series.

Overheating thing? It gets warm but it shouldn't over heat unless you wrap it in a blanket with the heat on.

Valve replacement kind of goes on how much you play it. I change all of mine every year but other people do it at different intervals.

What about the Marshall DSL 50?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Better than the MG, yes. Never played one personally, thought the head versions of it sound great, but no idea how good the combo is. I heard some people say that the combo version isn't really great though.

Overheating shouldn't actually happen in case you have a well-functioning amp.

Valves need to be changed about every 1 or 2 years, depending on how much and how loud you play, or in case a tube blows.

For your style it would work IMO, but also be sure to take a look at other amps in your price range, just go to a shop and play everything you can afford.

If he can buy it for 400 euros, that's a real bargain. They're over 800 euros at thomann.
EDIT: They were. Thomann hasn't got them there.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by YYMMalmsteen
What about the Marshall DSL 50?

Good luck finding a DSL 50 with cab for 400€.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Sakke
If he can buy it for 400 euros, that's a real bargain. They're over 800 euros at thomann.

What if the DSL 401 was... say 600?
Rip-off? NEaring?

And what about the DSL50? Would that be better (even though more expensive)?
Well malmsteen uses marshalls, so it will get you in the ball-park at least. I'd recommend getting an OD to tighten it though. They do have a kind of loose-sloppiness about them IMO
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I've got one and I love it. The cleans are very good in my opinion but the overdrive isn't exactly high gain, its good for Led Zeppelin stuff though. I use mine for the clean channel and a pedal for distortion (Pantera and Dethklok stuff). If you get it, Id say the best overdrive sound is from turning the gain up on the clean channel, also a patch cable in the effects loop will give you a fuller sound if you turn the fx mix up (:
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
What if the DSL 401 was... say 600?
Rip-off? NEaring?

And what about the DSL50? Would that be better (even though more expensive)?

Well, then you get to choose a cab with different speakers than what come with the combo. I'd say that 600 for used DSL401 would be nearly a rip-off. I'd pay no more than 500, seriously. You can't know how old the tubes are unless the seller can show some sort of receipt.

Quote by Minimallamb
I've got one and I love it. The cleans are very good in my opinion but the overdrive isn't exactly high gain, its good for Led Zeppelin stuff though. I use mine for the clean channel and a pedal for distortion (Pantera and Dethklok stuff). If you get it, Id say the best overdrive sound is from turning the gain up on the clean channel, also a patch cable in the effects loop will give you a fuller sound if you turn the fx mix up (:

It's high gain enough for Pantera... I don't know what you're talking about. You can easily get to the ball-park of Slayer with it.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

I'm using a Fender Jaguar with fairly low output pickups and my only other guitar is a Telecaster which isn't exactly going to sound like Dime without some encouragement. What guitar are you using OP?
Quote by Sakke
Well, then you get to choose a cab with different speakers than what come with the combo. I'd say that 600 for used DSL401 would be nearly a rip-off. I'd pay no more than 500, seriously. You can't know how old the tubes are unless the seller can show some sort of receipt.

It's high gain enough for Pantera... I don't know what you're talking about. You can easily get to the ball-park of Slayer with it.

thanks Sakke. ill just have to go to a shop, check the prices and try other stuff. I want a valve amp - Malmsteen tone (cleannes) and a good amp. Thing is I live in Majorca and the goddam government loves autarky so i can't get much stuff in store.
Actually the 401 is quite decent for what you want. Any distortion for that sort of stuff should come from the power amp. With a DSL401 you just keep the gain down and crank the volume and get that EL84 breakup. Used that way a DSL401 is a fine little blues amp. Bowie and Malmsteen is predominantly power amp distortion too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 401 is a totally different amp to the 50. The 401 is a little EL84 amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The 401 is a totally different amp to the 50. The 401 is a little EL84 amp.

Ah, in that case my testament only applies to the DSL50, which is a great amp if you can get one at a good price.
I actually quite like the 401 and I'd be happy using it for what the TS plans. You just gotta turn 'em up LOUD!!! I'm quite a fan of EL84 breakup though.
Would be a great amp to try out EL844's from Eurotubes in - unless you wanted loud pristine cleans. A little bit of modding doesn't go astray in a 401 either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For a similar price to the DSL401 you can get the 6101 combo. 100w, three channels and damn fine tones. Mine only cost around £400 in great condition, with footswitch, slipcover and new tubes!

One of the best clean tones I've heard from a post-60s Marshall, brilliant JCM800/900 crunch tones, and ridiculous amounts of gain in the lead channel. Unbelievable amount of controls and gimmicks. As used by Satch, Johnny A and the guy from Iron Maiden.

You can also pick up JCM800s around the same price - you're trading off flexibility for one of the best crunch tones in history.

I'm not a fan of the DSL401 at all - seems to emphasize all the worst aspects of EL84s without any of the greasy goodness. The cabinet and speaker don't do it any justice at all.
Guys, I just went to my usual store to ask about the DSLs:

DSL 401 New - 900€ !!!!!!!! WTF? How?
DSL 50 - he said it's no longer made

now what?
I assumed you were buying used, sorry. That's what you do now; find a used one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification