hey everybody,
so, I bought a cassette recorder yesterday to do some lo fi recordings and so far I really love it. the only problem is getting the audio onto the computer (to put online, say, or on cd).

it has an aux plug, so I tried hooking it up to the mic input on my laptop, but it didn't work. then I thought maybe because it was a stereo cable, so I got a mono cable. still didn't work.

is there anyway to get the audio from the tape onto my computer without buying a completely separate unit?
really cheesey method but go from the headphones out of the cassette desk to the line in on your pc. If that doesnt work its due to your settings on your PC probably. Might be a better method to do this if i knew the model of the cassette deck.,
ah, I've tried that too! that worked, but the audio clipped so much and lowering the volume didn't really help. it was just screaming at me.

my newest idea is to connect the aux of the recorder to my amp and then the line out of my amp to my PC.
I've played music through my amp from an ipod before and I've recorded from the amp's line out, so this would just be combining the two ideas.

I don't have the amp with me at the moment though, so that'll have to wait.
im guessing that aux isnt a line out its an auxilary input. To get the clipping to go away you just need to adjust the levels on both the recorder as well as the computer. Go to your audio levels and turn the line in slider down so its not clipping..
Quote by Jearl
ah, I've tried that too! that worked, but the audio clipped so much and lowering the volume didn't really help. it was just screaming at me.

my newest idea is to connect the aux of the recorder to my amp and then the line out of my amp to my PC.
I've played music through my amp from an ipod before and I've recorded from the amp's line out, so this would just be combining the two ideas.

I don't have the amp with me at the moment though, so that'll have to wait.

You need to lower the line in volume on your PC, it's prolly set to 100%. So if you use Realtek as your audio driver, just go into the control panel, hardware and sound, Realtek audio manager, click the line in tab, and lower the input volume.
you probably want a line input if you are getting a lot of clipping, not a mic input. unfortunately, most laptops typically only have a mic input. you can turn down the input level on the computer as ethan said, and that should help.
it worked! this is very exciting.

thanks a lot, guys. I don't know anything about computers, really, so I would've never even thought of the input volume.

this is fantastic. thank you again.