i've been thinking about getting one of these. I've seen them pop up for about 8-900ish used. The other guitar i've been eyeing is a silver burst studio between the two the robot seems like a decent deal. I keep reading that it would be hard to repair and searching shows alot of people posting saying its fragile, but how many of them actually own a robot guitar? i'd like to know from people who actually own one, is it fragile? have you broken yours? extremely hard to repair?
I had a robot SG in Silverburst for a while. It sounded good, and actually is the cheapest way to get a Gibson SG with an ebony fretboard. I don't see what's particularly fragile about it - unless you don't know how to work it and try to crank the tuners while the gears are engaged, it's no more fragile than a regular set of tuners. Repair, of course, would be a different story - no question the robot system would be more expensive to repair if something were to happen.

The good news is that the robots weren't very popular, so the used prices now are quite low considering what you're getting. I sold my robot because I just didn't need an SG any more, and needed to severely reduce the number of guitars I owned. Still, if I were looking for an SG again, or an ebony board Les Paul, a robot would be high up on my list.

If you really have a use for the robot system, it's a better asset than a liability. If you're just going to use it to tune to E standard every day for an hour of practice, perhaps it's not worth the risk of what might end up being a hassle to repair.
I have a Robot V. Really cool guitar, they always have neat finishes and you get an ebony board.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by Roc8995
I had a robot SG in Silverburst for a while. It sounded good, and actually is the cheapest way to get a Gibson SG with an ebony fretboard. I don't see what's particularly fragile about it - unless you don't know how to work it and try to crank the tuners while the gears are engaged, it's no more fragile than a regular set of tuners. Repair, of course, would be a different story - no question the robot system would be more expensive to repair if something were to happen.

The good news is that the robots weren't very popular, so the used prices now are quite low considering what you're getting. I sold my robot because I just didn't need an SG any more, and needed to severely reduce the number of guitars I owned. Still, if I were looking for an SG again, or an ebony board Les Paul, a robot would be high up on my list.

If you really have a use for the robot system, it's a better asset than a liability. If you're just going to use it to tune to E standard every day for an hour of practice, perhaps it's not worth the risk of what might end up being a hassle to repair.

awesome, i a silverburst robot lp just got sold for 800, should of bought it i think i will actually pick up a robot guitar if another one pops up for $800
i plan on using it for the open tunings alot, my strat isnt too great to keep changing tunings on, the tremelo unit goes kinda wonky but a robot guitar would be great.
Quote by bluezombie
I have a Robot V. Really cool guitar, they always have neat finishes and you get an ebony board.

Yeah, I was going to say that there's someone here that owns a Robot V.

I remember your NGD post for it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi