I've been making songs for a post-black metal band I've been planning for awhile but there are two drummers that want to be in the band.
Drummer number 1 plays those drums that you wear for the school band; he isn't experienced with a drum kit but could definitely get better. He also isn't good at coming up with creative drum beats but he can keep tempo very well. He's mature and I get along with him pretty well.
Drummer number 2 is a metalhead kid who is a couple years younger than me. He's played drums for a while and is very fast. He makes some pretty sweet blast beats. But he doesn't keep tempo perfectly and speeds up sometimes. Also most people at my school think he's a dick, I don't have a problem with him but it makes it hard to recruit new members.
Any opinions?
guy number one. he is an inherently better drummer cuz he keeps beats better. guy number two will drive you up the wall with his lack of rhythm.

plus the other guy is a dick, which means his ego is huge. it will be hard to tell him he can't keep rhythm, and he'll tell you that you are off time.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Drummer 2 reminded me of the drummer in my old band. Gigantic ego, played as loud as he can (not sure if he kept a tempo going we constantly had all of our instruments so loud that you couldn't ****ing hear a thing because of all the distortion). These types aren't a good addition to the band IN ANY MEASURE.

I'd go with drummer 1 because he actually has some training in how to play music, not how to be the 'fastest drummer ever lol'. If you don't get what I'm saying: He doesn't know how to play the instrument yet, but he knows the necessary principles that are much more important than being able to play as fast as you can.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 12, 2012,
Drummer 1: Can get better and keeps tempo well. Those are good perks. He isn't very creative, but most people don't start out that way; he has to learn what makes good drum beats and use that to better himself, which I think is very doable in most cases.

Drummer 2: If/when you go pro, age won't matter as much as long as you're all around 18ish. And he can play fast which is good as it lets you make songs with fast parts, and also making good beats is very good as well. If people really want to go for it in music, they will at least try and see if they can get along with him instead of just assuming he's a horrible person because of what other people have said, seeing as you can get along with him.

Overall my opinion is number 1.
@anasonic3
Yeah but he can't blast beat but then... the other guy can't stop blast beating.
@zomgguitarz1234
These are good points too.
@Vermillionpart2
Yeah it's a hard choice. I have alot of fun playing really fast parts.

Thanks for the inputs guys I think I'm gonna go with Drummer 1. Just need to figure out how to tell #2.
Last edited by Awesomdor at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by Awesomdor
Yeah but he can't blast beat but then... the other guy can't stop blast beating.

So basically what you're saying is guy 2 plays as fast as he can all the time with no sense of musical tempo at all? Where as guy 1 already knows the rules pretty well and can learn how to blast beat if he practices.

This is a no brainier. Plus I've had to deal with someone identical to drummer 2 in a band before, it's not a joyful experience.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
So basically what you're saying is guy 2 plays as fast as he can all the time with no sense of musical tempo at all? Where as guy 1 already knows the rules pretty well and can learn how to blast beat if he practices.

This is a no brainier. Plus I've had to deal with someone identical to drummer 2 in a band before, it's not a joyful experience.

He isn't as bad as I make him sound. We stay in okayish time consistently.
Quote by Awesomdor

I think my problem is I keep picturing that typical guy who just wants to play as fast as he possibly can all the time to impress people. I mean thats sort of what I got from "Blast Beating Dick"
It's totally not worth playing in a band with someone who you don't like, even if they are a better musician. If the general consensus is that this kid sucks, he probably does. Get the marching band kid, after he gets used to the set he'll probably get awesome pretty quickly.
Quote by I_Pwn
It's totally not worth playing in a band with someone who you don't like, even if they are a better musician. If the general consensus is that this kid sucks, he probably does. Get the marching band kid, after he gets used to the set he'll probably get awesome pretty quickly.

I get along well with both of them.
Quote by Awesomdor

"Okayish" time.....isn't.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
A drummers job is to keep time... number 2 cant.... easy decision....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Awesomdor

You're either in time or you're not. Go for number 1.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Pretty much all young drummers play with a variable tempo and too loud. If they keep drumming they almost all get better. The same is true pretty much of guitarists and bassists.

You are lucky to have a choice and you really won't know if either will work out until you try. You need to trust your own judgement on this but be nice to the one you turn down. Let them know it was a really tough decision and that you want to work with them in the future if another chance comes up.

I expect Keith Moon was too loud and too fast when he started.
A drummer's job is to keep the band at a certain tempo. If drummer #1 can do it, and drummer #2 can't, its a no brainer. A kid with tempo who plays quince for the marching band will settle into a set real quick!

Not that you're there, but do you ever plan on going on tour? Do you wanna sit next to, eat with, sleep next to, hang out with and then gig with a douche bag? Let that settle in for a minute...

If #2 is a jerk and has a reputation as such, don't let him ruin your musical quest because he can't get along with people. Its more than just the guys who you want to join your band. People are going to come see shows because you make a connection with them. They're gonna go see you. THEN they'll come back for your music. If he's a jerk, he won't make good connections with people and people won't come to shows to see what he can do. This makes him utterly useless to your band in almost every way possible.

Sorry if I got carried away there...
I'm a drummer, and I have no problem saying I can't keep beat, which is why I don't play drums in my band. I feel that I'm closely related to your whole problem actually. My band's drummer is the one with less talent but is more fluent. If your a black metal band, use both. Tell then to swap off on different songs and see how it goes. When you hav a couple of songs done, pick.

Also, this isn't a joke. Tell drummer 1 to buy Rock Band 3 with the cymbal attachments. It's the most realistic training I've seen. I don't own a set and I can still play Grohl beats without looking at the screen.
^^^ Are you really saying that you're better than the other drummer, even though you can't keep time and don't own a kit? Which drummer do you think I'd choose?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Are you really saying that you're better than the other drummer, even though you can't keep time and don't own a kit? Which drummer do you think I'd choose?

I'm saying I have more natural skill, but not as much training.
Quote by gateway01
I'm saying I have more natural skill, but not as much training.

And your basis for this natural skill comment?

Somebody saying they have more natural skill at drumming than someone who can keep a better beat than they can ... well, that's pretty laughable.
Playing with a band is much more important skill than playing alone. The guy number 1 has this skill: He might not have some crazy blast beat skills but even though his drum beats are simple, he still can play with a band. I know that our school has many of those guy number 2. They can shred with their guitar, play some crazy slapping bass riffs or play blast beat and Mike Portnoy fills but when they play with band, they just can't play. They are off the tempo or they are playing the wrong chords. They just aren't listening to what other members in the band are playing. Band playing is like a team sport. You may know all the tricks David Beckham uses when playing soccer but if you don't have that eye for the game and just solo then you are not a good team player.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 30, 2012,
Natural skill hey? I'll just go for the guy who can do it.
Soundcloud