Page 1 of 2
Anybody know any bands that are modern metal (like btbam, protest the hero, DEP) but don't have alot growling.

The instrumental aspects of the music is pretty insteresting and good to listen to, but I can't really enjoy the vocals much. Too harsh, I guess
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Power metal? Or just listen to bands with harsh vocals until you can enjoy them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Scale the Summit or Animals as Leaders (if you're into instrumental music).

EDIT:
Quote by theogonia777
just listen to bands with harsh vocals until you can enjoy them.

Or this. It's an acquired taste, really.
Last edited by Jon777 at Jan 12, 2012,
check out bands like Unexpect, Blotted Science, Pagan's Mind, Liquid Tension Experiment, and the Music Subforums.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The last three A7X albums, that's not quite what you had in mind but it's accessible and there is little to no screaming
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by theogonia777
Power metal? Or just listen to bands with harsh vocals until you can enjoy them.

I may start doing this.
May take a while though.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Get used to harsh vocals somehow? Most instrumentally interesting bands nowadays use them.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by true_bacon22
Progressive Metal maybe?

Maybe Progressive Mathcore is probably a better description?
I mean, if I want bands like BTBAM and PTH it's a term I'd use.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The Fall of Troy is about 50/50 screaming and singing, and is a very good band for easing yourself into listening to screaming.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Jon777
Scale the Summit or Animals as Leaders (if you're into instrumental music).

Or this. It's an acquired taste, really.

Animals as leaders is pretty good to listen to.
But, I don't own an 8-string, so I could never cover the stuff
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Im with you. I hate the screaming. BFMV is an exeption as they hod it back and when they do let it go it seems to fit just fine.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Animals as leaders is pretty good to listen to.
But, I don't own an 8-string, so I could never cover the stuff

You can, you just have to play in a different key.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
You can, you just have to play in a different key.

Ye, that could work.
Unless there's an odd chord which requires all 8 strings

The main reason I'm doing this is to listen to some new guitarists. The only 'difficult' guitarist I've been listening to is Robert Fripp
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by willT08
Listen to Cynic.

You talking TiA Cynic? Might as well listen to Aeon Spoke. >.>

You could attempt Mutiny Within, Seventh Wonder, Disillusion, and Sculptured.
Hardcore forum has a recommendation thread, you licht get more responses there.

But for now:
36 crazyfists - snow capped romance and rest inside the flames albums
A day to remember
Four year strong
Cowabunga!

You could also try some pop punk / hardcore bands like daggermouth, such gold, title fight.

EDIT: reread first post. These bands arnt like the ones you listed. Sorry!
Quote by the bartender
^ this man knows his stuff.
Last edited by atomic_llama at Jan 12, 2012,
The Sword? They're a 'stoner' band, but they do incorporate metal in thier music.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxe4gtNPVjU

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but hey, they're great anyway
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by Crazyedd123
The main reason I'm doing this is to listen to some new guitarists. The only 'difficult' guitarist I've been listening to is Robert Fripp

If that's the case, why not try some jazz fusion or instrumental rock? Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, John McLaughlin, Marco Sfogli, Daniele Gottardo, etc might all interest you.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
If that's the case, why not try some jazz fusion or instrumental rock? Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, John McLaughlin, Marco Sfogli, Daniele Gottardo, etc might all interest you.

I am gonna try and learn AH's 'Devil Take The Hindmost' soon, as a matter of fact.
There's only a few sections in the piece where things really get tense, most of it is just knowing how to voice the chords and notes properly.

Haven't heard of the last two you mentioned, may have to check them out.

I'd still like to listen to some of the bands mentioned here because I want to broaden my tastes a little.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Mastodon or most thrash metal. Also stoner metal like Electric Wizard (at least on Black Masses) uses fairly accessible vocal style.

Perhaps it's because I've listened to death metal since like 1990 but I don't understand how something as simple as death vox can turn somebody away from listening. It's just a vox style. None of the people slamming on death vox ever complain about bands not using clean guitar tones, so what's the deal?

At least now you have a band like Opeth with fairly articulate death growls as well as clean vox to mix it up once in a while. Almost anybody I know that's gotten into extreme metal the last like 5 years did so by way of Opeth.
Hey guys I'm looking for some modern prog that is more centered around the use of 4 power chords per song

I'd also like some modern crust that doesn't make use of d-beats.

Quote by BlackVoid
Mastodon or most thrash metal. Also stoner metal like Electric Wizard (at least on Black Masses) uses fairly accessible vocal style.

Perhaps it's because I've listened to death metal since like 1990 but I don't understand how something as simple as death vox can turn somebody away from listening. It's just a vox style. None of the people slamming on death vox ever complain about bands not using clean guitar tones, so what's the deal?

At least now you have a band like Opeth with fairly articulate death growls as well as clean vox to mix it up once in a while. Almost anybody I know that's gotten into extreme metal the last like 5 years did so by way of Opeth.

I've never really been exposed to it. Plus, when you're young you get bombarded with people saying how bad it is that you just kind of don't bother with it. I'm pretty open to alot of types of music, but this type of music has always been abit hard for me to get into (mostly because of the vocals for some reason). It just feels wrong to not give this stuff a proper try.

I'm gonna give Opeth a try, I hear alot of people say that they're quite soft for their genre.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
it's supposed to be hard to get in to, that's what makes it rewarding. Challenging yourself in all aspects of life is purposeful.
The Dillinger Escape Plan - I know it has harsh vocals but you may get used to it.
Opeth - Have some really cool soft parts in their songs but expect mad growls in them though
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Quote by technicolour
Hey guys I'm looking for some modern prog that is more centered around the use of 4 power chords per song

I'd also like some modern crust that doesn't make use of d-beats.

Begone, Troll!
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
I've never really been exposed to it. Plus, when you're young you get bombarded with people saying how bad it is that you just kind of don't bother with it. I'm pretty open to alot of types of music, but this type of music has always been abit hard for me to get into (mostly because of the vocals for some reason). It just feels wrong to not give this stuff a proper try.

I'm gonna give Opeth a try, I hear alot of people say that they're quite soft for their genre.

People say Opeth is soft only because he does not write songs in a straight forward or stereotypical death metal style. Even his songs aggressive parts aren't quite typical for death metal. Their last album has no death vox on it (and aside from that it's kind of meh). You could try any of the albums from the middle of their discography.

Their last tour used only songs with clean vocals actually. And it was rather nice I think.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by ....Satan
The Dillinger Escape Plan - I know it has harsh vocals but you may get used to it.
Opeth - Have some really cool soft parts in their songs but expect mad growls in them though

The song that was on GH:WoR is actually pretty good. If their vocals are mostly like that, then I don't mind too much. There are parts when his voice reminds me of Mike Patton's.

The song was 'setting fire to sleeping giants.'

EDIT: Btw, thanks for the recommendations
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Mastodon was the answer you were all looking for
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by vicarious46
Mastodon was the answer you were all looking for

Quote by BlackVoid
Mastodon

Quote by Crazyedd123
Anybody know any bands that are modern metal (like btbam, protest the hero, DEP) but don't have alot growling.

The instrumental aspects of the music is pretty insteresting and good to listen to, but I can't really enjoy the vocals much. Too harsh, I guess

I'm in the same boat as you TS. I love the instruments in the music but can't get into the screaming growling stuff. BTBAM is really the only band that I can tolerate with growling. Protest the Hero, imo, has the perfect combination and clean vocals and other stuff.

I would recommend Scale the Summit, Animals As Leaders, Mastodon, The Human Abstract, and Tesseract

Edit: After looking through this thread, I think I will give Opeth a listen. I heard good things, but didn't realize what genre they were.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by WCPhils
I'm in the same boat as you TS. I love the instruments in the music but can't get into the screaming growling stuff. BTBAM is really the only band that I can tolerate with growling. Protest the Hero, imo, has the perfect combination and clean vocals and other stuff.

I would recommend Scale the Summit, Animals As Leaders, Mastodon, The Human Abstract, and Tesseract

Edit: After looking through this thread, I think I will give Opeth a listen. I heard good things, but didn't realize what genre they were.

Try this.
I find it quite easy to listen to for some reason (I posted a GH link cos they usually have better mixes).
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by BlackVoid

I saw that right after I posted! (tbh I didn't even look at the 2nd page)

Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by Crazyedd123

I'm not trolling, I was just pointing out how ridiculous TS request are.

And if you're insisting that a) minor threat is crust, and b) they didn't use d-beats. You're wrong on both accounts. Sure they helped influence the genre, but no one would actually consider them crust, and most of their songs had d-beats. I'm sure not all of them did, but that's besides the point.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Try this.
I find it quite easy to listen to for some reason (I posted a GH link cos they usually have better mixes).

I forget to mention DEP in my post. I do like them, and that is one of their best songs.

After watching that though I think I break out the PS2 and play some Guitar Hero.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Page 1 of 2