Hello,

I am planning on getting a SansAmp bass driver di box to record some covers for YouTube. I want to know if it is possible to plug the DI box directly in to my laptop to record, without a mixer? And what kind of adapter cable would I need to connect it to the laptop? (XLR to 1/8, 1/4 to 1/8, XLR to usb, 1/4 to usb, etc)

I am completely new at this - any and all help is appreciated
Last edited by somefreaknfella at Jan 12, 2012,
Why the SansAmp? Have you thought about a proper usb/firewire interface? A mixer is of no use by the way.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
I just did a bit of my own research and it seems to have quite good sound. I am willing to find a cheaper one, and a simpler one, seeing as I'm just a beginner at this.

Also, why exactly is a mixer of no use? For recording covers, anyway. I only ask about the mixer because I haven't come across anything that says it's ok to plug a DI box directly in to a computer. Most videos/articles say it's supposed to go Guitar>DI box>mixer>computer, unless I'm mistaken.
Last edited by somefreaknfella at Jan 12, 2012,
You'll need an interface to get the signal from the DI box to your computer. Going from the DI to an adapter will completely defeat the purpose of using a DI box in the first place because you'll lose quality.

I'd recommend getting a DI box, check out the Radial DI boxes, instead of the Sansamp unless you want to use the Sansamp specifically for tone coloring.
Let's party.
So if I had an interface like M-Audio fast track, would I still need a DI box? Or does it just go Guitar>M-Audio interface>laptop?
You can go straight to the interface without a DI box. The difference between going DI into interface versus DI Box into the interface will be negligible in your case.
Let's party.
The best bass tones I ever recorded were with a SansAmp straight into my interface.

I LOVE those things!

(see Unsaid and Like This in my profile)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just get a reasonable interface. DI boxes were created to convert the signal to line level (for going straight to a mixer for example) but most interfaces are able to do this (although some may argue at a different quality).

You can quite happily go guitar>interface>computer. In fact that's what most do unless looking to add tones prior to recording.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.