Sweet man, I like the rough'n'readiness of it
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by herodotus
http://youtu.be/G1AH2bmLv0Y

solo at 1:45, I didn't practice it that much so it's a little sloppy. I'm more interested in your input on the melodic quality. The end solo was just a BS since I was tired.

Pretty melodic and it really suits the song
No one else matters if you just want to talk about the note choice, no one else can tell you if it sounds how you wanted it to sound.

If it did then what do other people matter and if it didn't then how is anyone else going to know?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No one else matters if you just want to talk about the note choice, no one else can tell you if it sounds how you wanted it to sound.

If it did then what do other people matter and if it didn't then how is anyone else going to know?

Ha, good point. I actually came up with a few other versions. I suppose I should have recorded those for comparison. oops!
Quote by herodotus
Ha, good point. I actually came up with a few other versions. I suppose I should have recorded those for comparison. oops!

It still wouldn't really matter because we wouldn't know which one was the one you actually wanted it to sound like.

The best thing to do to write a solo is put down your guitar, step away from it, put on the backing track and then sing the solo you want to play. Record that and then transcribe it to the guitar; that way you get the version of the solo that's going to be the closest to the one you always wanted to play in the first place.

Singing is the most straightforward form of musical expression; if you can't sing a solo you want to hear then there shouldn't be one there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It still wouldn't really matter because we wouldn't know which one was the one you actually wanted it to sound like.

The best thing to do to write a solo is put down your guitar, step away from it, put on the backing track and then sing the solo you want to play. Record that and then transcribe it to the guitar; that way you get the version of the solo that's going to be the closest to the one you always wanted to play in the first place.

Singing is the most straightforward form of musical expression; if you can't sing a solo you want to hear then there shouldn't be one there.

I do this non-stop.

About 80% of my riffs, solos, chord progressions, etc were sung beforehand into a recorder which I then converted into guitar goodness.

Every once in a while, though, you'll be noodling randomly and stumble upon something special.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Wow. I love you. That was eight flavours of awesome. Where are you from?

EDIT: Also, if you're open to feedback, try doing that solo acoustically. I think you'd be surprised how it might sound. ALSO, elctric guitar sounds a bit out of place when it comes in. Maybe bring a bit of a riff before hand to draw the electric in.
Last edited by AussiePage at Jan 15, 2012,
Thanks for the compliments!

I'm from the musical hell hole known as Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm going to rerecord with electric guitar all the way through so that should make the solo mesh better with the rest of the song.
Man, I like.. that's why I'm on this website trying to learn what you do..
How do you do it??
Quote by herodotus
http://youtu.be/G1AH2bmLv0Y

solo at 1:45, I didn't practice it that much so it's a little sloppy. I'm more interested in your input on the melodic quality. The end solo was just a BS since I was tired.

I friggin love your voice!

but i didnt really like the solo, the tone mainly (more sustain/gain/something is missing i dont know what/could it be you chose that tone because it allows you to sound clean with distortion because the noise gate kills the note rather quickly? all superstitions)

Unrelated to actual tone: when someone says something like i didnt practice that much so its a little sloppy it makes me go .. of course its sloppy because you didnt practice.. and if you know that you need more pratice why are you not doing it ?
why would you start it with an excuse that will make us actually more conscious of the sloppiness ahead ? (of course to avoid us commenting on it and only comment the melody, but imo it causes the opposite "do not think of a pink elephant")

Other than that props on your music mate
The note choice is all yours and its up to you what you want to say with it
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 15, 2012,
God damnit, I can't stop listening!

Edit: I just showed this to two of my female friends. They nearly pissed their pants. Another two groupies
Last edited by AussiePage at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by AussiePage
God damnit, I can't stop listening!

Edit: I just showed this to two of my female friends. They nearly pissed their pants. Another two groupies

...Send them to my chamber
Sounds great. Well structured, great 'flow' as it were

Maybe some more gain and perhaps delay would've made it 'scream', but I don't think you were going for that. Otherwise it was choice as
Quote by herodotus
...Send them to my chamber

They're over here in Australia, sorry

Does that make you an international star now ?
I agree with the above that the electric sounds abrupt coming in, maybe have a clean electric join in the chord progression to lead into the solo, or try the solo on the acoustic.

But as for the rest of the song, it was amazing. I love the guitar work during the verses and chorus and your voice is awesome. Get into a studio and record this with some high quality equipment/ put it on a website with higher audio transmission(that probably isn't a term) than youtube because I want to download this.

edit: also: Listened to the rest of your songs, your lyrics are great and thank you for introducing me to cory branan.
Last edited by qaz923 at Jan 16, 2012,